Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Cincinnati 2011, to be held at the Cincinnati Marriott North at Union Centre in West Chester, Ohio from March 25-27, 2011.
- Diabetes Scholars Foundation Golf Fore Education to be held at Disney's Osprey Ridge Golf Course on Tuesday, July 5, 2011, the day before Friends for Life: Orlando 2011.
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life Annual International Conference 2011 at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida from July 6-10, 2011.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Canada 2011 conference, to be held at the Marriott Toronto Downtown Eaton Centre, Toronto, Canada from July 29-31, 2011.
- CWD's Friends for Life UK 2011 conference, to be held at Beaumont House, Old Windsor, Berkshire from October 28-30, 2011, is currently sold out.
New This Week
- CWD is looking for positive stories about kids and their school nurse and coaching staff for publication in a national school nurse journal.
- Austin is five and was diagnosed in December 2010.
- Last week's poll asked readers about the insulin pump they use. This week's poll asks insulin pump users how often they change their infusion set
- The Featured Book of the Week is The Ultimate Guide to Accurate Carb Counting by Gary Scheiner, MS, CDE.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
I was sending my son a text this morning – he has a stomach bug and low ketones – and my note was "remember, fluids and insulin will make the ketones go away." It autocorrected to "fluids and insulin will make the kittens go away."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you go to tell the person in front of you that their pump tubing is hanging out, only to realize that it's the headphone wire connected to their iPod.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My teen daughter has been diagnosed with microalbuminuria, but she has good metabolic control. Does she need an ACE inhibitor? What are its side effects?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Glucose tabs or something else?
- Join Laura Billetdeaux for a chat about CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2011 conference. The chat begins at 9pm Eastern on Thursday, February 17th in the Friends for Life Chat Room.
- Join Dr. Carla Greenbaum of the Benaroya Research Institute for a special chat about "The Benefits of Participating in TrialNet" on Tuesday, February 22nd from 9-10 PM Eastern in the TrialNet chat room.
- Join Laura Billetdeaux for a chat about CWD's Friends for Life: UK 2011 conference. The chat begins at 4pm Eastern (9pm UK) on Wednesday, February 23rd in the Friends for Life Chat Room.
Studies and Surveys
- Families are encouraged to participate in a brief survey to gauge the interest in a resource center for families with children with type 1 diabetes.
- Adolescents and young adults (Ages 15-24) with type 1 diabetes and their parents are invited to participate in a study designed to better understand what helps people successfully find great diabetes care after they are ready to leave their pediatric diabetes team. The information learned from this study will help to design programs that will help people with diabetes transition from pediatric to adult providers in a happy and healthy way.
- Type 1 Diabetes TrialNet is a group of studies looking at the prevention and early treatment of type 1 diabetes.
- DEFEND is a global study seeking newly diagnosed patients aged 12 to 45 to test an islet preserving medication.
Diabetes in School
- The 2010 edition of Helping the Student with Diabetes Succeed: A Guide for School Personnel is available. You can order one free printed copy and download the guide in PDF (several sections) and print as needed.
- The ADA Gets to TSA on Insulin Pumps.
- Won't You Be My Valentine?
- From Abby: Standards of Care.
- Evidence That Nasal Insulin Induces Immune Tolerance to Insulin in Adults With Autoimmune Diabetes.
- Multinational study of subcutaneous model-predictive closed-loop control in type 1 diabetes mellitus: summary of the results.
- Stepwise or Linear Decrease in Penetrance of Type 1 Diabetes With Lower-Risk HLA Genotypes Over the Past 40 Years.
- Alterations of platelet biochemical and functional properties in newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes: a role in cardiovascular risk?
- Inhibition of Type 1 Diabetes Correlated to a Lactobacillus johnsonii N6.2-Mediated Th17 Bias.
- In vivo genetic engineering of murine pancreatic beta cells mediated by single-stranded adeno-associated viral vectors of serotypes 6, 8 and 9.
- How continuous monitoring changes the interaction of patients with a mobile telemedicine system.
- FreeStyle Navigator Continuous Glucose Monitoring System with TRUstart Algorithm, a 1-Hour Warm-Up Time.
- Frequency of symptomatic and asymptomatic hypoglycaemia in Type 1 diabetes: effect of impaired awareness of hypoglycaemia.
- Retinal microaneurysm count predicts progression and regression of diabetic retinopathy. Post-hoc results from the DIRECT Programme.
- Deprivation impedes success of insulin intensification in children and adolescents with Type 1 diabetes; longitudinal linear mixed modelling of a retrospective observational cohort.
- Characterizing sudden death and dead-in-bed syndrome in Type 1 diabetes: analysis from two childhood-onset Type 1 diabetes registries.
- The Association Between Dietary Sodium Intake, ESRD, and All-Cause Mortality In Patients With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Diagnostic Accuracy of Point-of-Care Testing for Diabetic Ketoacidosis at Emergency-Department Triage; beta-hydroxybutyrate versus the urine dipstick.
- Celiac disease in patients with type 1 diabetes: a condition with distinct changes in intestinal immunity?
- A new algorithm for the diagnosis of celiac disease.
- Make Your Own Gluten-Free Girl Scout Cookies (Recipe).
- Brewers keep ingredients bottled up. See also Beer industry exempt from new food-allergen labelling rules.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Students with diabetes adjust to college life.
- Team Type 1 continues Giro and WorldTour push.
- Diabetes boom sparks Roche expansion.
- Updated NDEP guide helps keep children with diabetes safe at school.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:40
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2015. Comments and Feedback.