Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Cincinnati 2011, to be held at the Cincinnati Marriott North at Union Centre in West Chester, Ohio from March 25-27, 2011.
- Diabetes Scholars Foundation Golf Fore Education to be held at Disney's Osprey Ridge Golf Course on Tuesday, July 5, 2011, the day before Friends for Life: Orlando 2011.
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life Annual International Conference 2011 at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida from July 6-10, 2011.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Canada 2011 conference, to be held at the Marriott Toronto Downtown Eaton Centre, Toronto, Canada from July 29-31, 2011.
- CWD's Friends for Life UK 2011 conference, to be held at Beaumont House, Old Windsor, Berkshire from October 28-30, 2011, is currently sold out.
New This Week
- Important Information about your 2.0 mL Animas Insulin Pump Cartridges. See also Animas Cartridge Recall and NEWSFLASH: Animas to Recall Insulin Pump Cartridges.
- CWD is looking for positive stories about kids and their school nurse and coaching staff for publication in a national school nurse journal.
- Briar can check his own blood sugar, but his family helps with his insulin shots.
- Last week's poll asked readers how they usually dispose of sharps at home. This week's poll asks readers if they use alternative site testing when checking blood glucose levels.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Understanding Insulin Pumps & Continuous Glucose Monitors, 2nd Edition by H. Peter Chase, MD, and Laurel Messer, RN, MPH, CDE.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My ten year old frequently gets nosebleeds during the winter season. She got one while driving home from the doctor's office last week. Before grabbing a Kleenex, she grabbed a test strip. She saw me watching from the rearview mirror as she placed the test strip in her nose. Her reply to my look of confusion: "Since my nose is freely giving up the blood, I thought I could save myself a finger prick!"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you find parts of syringes in your son's room and he is now using them as swords and granades for his action figures, after throwing away the needle part, of course! See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My daughter, who swims three evenings a week, has been having stubborn highs some nights and corrections are not helping. Could this be a growth spurt? Is this common during puberty? What should I do to minimize the highs? Do rebounds cause insulin resistance?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
What do you guys do for babysitters?
- The Road to a Diabetes Vaccine - Part One: A Map of Your Immune System.
Advocacy and Events
- DTREAT Ottawa is holding a retreat for adults with type 1 diabetes from May 6-8, 2011 at Carleton University in Ottawa. Register online.
Studies and Surveys
- Adults with type 1 can participate in a 20-30 minute online survey about Diabetes Knowledge, Acceptance, and Self-Efficacy as Predictors of Self-Care Behaviors.
- Type 1 Diabetes TrialNet is a group of studies looking at the prevention and early treatment of type 1 diabetes.
- DEFEND is a global study seeking newly diagnosed patients aged 12 to 45 to test an islet preserving medication.
Diabetes in School
- The 2010 edition of Helping the Student with Diabetes Succeed: A Guide for School Personnel is available. You can order one free printed copy and download the guide in PDF (several sections) and print as needed.
- Awesome Video: Insulin Pump Art.
- Guest Post: The Perfect PWD.
- Five Diabetes Dogmas That Need to Go.
Diabetes Videos and Audio Presentations
- Your Diabetes Pizza Restaurant.
- Wanted for Summer 2011: Summer Camp Counselor With Type 1 Diabetes and/or experience with insulin pump therapy.
- Endothelial Dysfunction Is Related to Poor Glycemic Control in Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes under 5 Years of Disease: Evidence of Metabolic Memory.
- Maternal food consumption during pregnancy and risk of advanced beta-cell autoimmunity in the offspring.
- Low vitamin d levels correlate with the proinflammatory state in type 1 diabetic subjects with and without microvascular complications.
- Automated Overnight Closed-Loop Glucose Control in Young Children with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Risk for ESRD in Type 1 Diabetes Remains High Despite Renoprotection.
- Intestinal deposits of anti-tissue transglutaminase IgA in childhood celiac disease.
- Occurrence of Nonceliac Gluten Sensitivity in Patients with Allergic Disease.
- Grain Drain - How and why Celiac disease patients say no to gluten.
- UNH Dining provides options to students with celiac disease.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Learning to survive, and thrive: Six-year-old with Type 1 diabetes forced to grow up quickly in order to deal with daily responsibility of living with lifelong disease.
- Local Teen's Dog Is a Life Saver.
- Eau Claire woman adapts to life as a Type 1 diabetic.
- Diabetes management app on smartphones helps teens manage blood sugar and insulin levels.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Wednesday March 02, 2011 14:15:00
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2014. Comments and Feedback.