Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Cincinnati 2011, to be held at the Cincinnati Marriott North at Union Centre in West Chester, Ohio from March 25-27, 2011.
- Diabetes Scholars Foundation Golf Fore Education to be held at Disney's Osprey Ridge Golf Course on Tuesday, July 5, 2011, the day before Friends for Life: Orlando 2011.
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life Annual International Conference 2011 at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida from July 6-10, 2011.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Canada 2011 conference, to be held at the Marriott Toronto Downtown Eaton Centre, Toronto, Canada from July 29-31, 2011.
- CWD's Friends for Life UK 2011 conference, to be held at Beaumont House, Old Windsor, Berkshire from October 28-30, 2011, is currently sold out.
Other Stories of Interest
- CWD is looking for positive stories about kids and their school nurse and coaching staff for publication in a national school nurse journal.
- diaTribe is excited to offer a chance to win a free Dexcom SEVEN PLUS Continuous Glucose Monitor (CGM) System starter kit (receiver, transmitter, and four-pack of sensors) or a pack of four SEVEN PLUS sensors.
- The 2011 DiabetesMine Design Challenge has begun.
New This Week
- Team Type 1 has launched an updated web site. Be sure to check out Not Dead Yet, Phil Southerland's book about growing up with type 1.
- Nick Jonas at Carnival for a Cure 2011. See also Pop Star Nick Jonas Revisits the Diabetes Research Institute Foundation's Carnival for a Cure.
- Aleena, age nine, shares a paper she wrote for a Young Writers project at school.
- Last week's poll asked our readers who use an insulin pump how many different basal rates they have in their main basal profile. This week's poll asks our readers who use an insulin pump about their usual infusion set.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Cheating Destiny by James S. Hirsch.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
We were walking along with some friends. My daughter Corie, age 12, dx at age 2, was wearing her insulin pump on her hip. I was holding hands with a younger child in the group (Cole age 6) who has a little thing for Corie. He saw the pump site. I asked him if he knew what it was. He replied, "Yes, that is where you plug her in for her energy."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you wake up in the night, see the projection clock that says "5:30" and you think your child's blood sugar is 530! See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My son was recently diagnosed. Will controlling his diabetes get easier or harder once he's fully dependent on insulin?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Gym class - would you request a certain time?
- Join Laura Billetdeaux for a chat about CWD's Friends for Life: UK 2011 conference. The chat begins at 4pm Eastern (9pm UK) on Tuesday, March 22nd in the Friends for Life Chat Room.
- Students With Diabetes is an organization that provides a connection point and serves as an information resource for college age students living with diabetes. (PDF)
Advocacy and Events
- Brenda Novak's 2011 Online Auction to Benefit Diabetes Research is scheduled to run from May 1 - 31, 2011. See also Brunch for A Cause With New York Times Best-Selling Author Brenda Novak!
- The 2011 Bumps & Pumps (and Pens!) Beach Volleyball Tournament supporting Connected In Motion will be held on Saturday April 30, 2011 from 5:30 â€“ 10:00 pm at Beach Blast in Toronto, Ontario.
- DTREAT Ottawa is holding a retreat for adults with type 1 diabetes from May 6-8, 2011 at Carleton University in Ottawa. Register online.
Studies and Surveys
- Adults with type 1 can participate in a 20-30 minute online survey about Diabetes Knowledge, Acceptance, and Self-Efficacy as Predictors of Self-Care Behaviors.
- Type 1 Diabetes TrialNet is a group of studies looking at the prevention and early treatment of type 1 diabetes.
Diabetes in School
- The 2010 edition of Helping the Student with Diabetes Succeed: A Guide for School Personnel is available. You can order one free printed copy and download the guide in PDF (several sections) and print as needed.
- Diabetes Hands Foundation receives $150K grant from Helmsley Charitable Trust. See also Helmsley Charitable Trust Awards $150K to Diabetes Social Media Player.
- Improving diabetes product design.
- Adventures in Diabetes Parenting is Pam Osborne's blog.
- Julie from Pump Wear offers some Diabetes Tidbits.
- Wanted for Summer 2011: Summer Camp Counselor With Type 1 Diabetes and/or experience with insulin pump therapy.
- Trends in Type 1 diabetes incidence in the UK in 0- to 14-year-olds and in 15- to 34-year-olds, 1991-2008.
- Islet autoantibodies can discriminate maturity-onset diabetes of the young (MODY) from Type 1 diabetes.
- Combination therapy with a dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitor and a proton pump inhibitor induces beta-cell neogenesis from adult human pancreatic duct cells implanted in immunodeficient mice.
- Continuous moderate-intensity exercise with or without intermittent high-intensity work: effects on acute and late glycaemia in athletes with Type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Gender differences in the relationship between parental report of self-regulation skills and adolescents' management of type 1 diabetes.
- Blood glucose monitoring and glycemic control in adolescents with type 1 diabetes: meter downloads versus self-report.
- Prediction of postprandial glycemia and insulinemia in lean, young, healthy adults: glycemic load compared with carbohydrate content alone. See also Study challenges "carb counting" in diabetes.
- Effect of mobile phone intervention for diabetes on glycaemic control: a meta-analysis.
- Glycaemic control is positively associated with prevalent fractures but not with bone mineral density in patients with Type 1 diabetes.
- Cognitive function in 6- to 12-year-old offspring of women with Type 1 diabetes.
- Divergence of gut permeability and mucosal immune gene expression in two gluten-associated conditions: celiac disease and gluten sensitivity. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Start-Up ImmusanT Seeks to Restore Tolerance to Gluten in Celiac Disease with Immunotherapy. See also ImmusanT Executive Summary (PDF).
- Study Finds Gut Bacteria can Affect Intestines' Protective Layer. See also Role of Intestinal Bacteria in Gliadin-Induced Changes in Intestinal Mucosa: Study in Germ-Free Rats.
- Celiac disorder focuses the spotlight on gluten-free diet.
- Making happy campers one loaf at a time.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Ponder: A child diabetes diagnosis involves counseling.
- Rebekah wants to tell you a story.
- Circle of Life receives $25,000 grant.
- Diabetic alert dogs have nose for danger.
- How a Pocono 7-year-old endures diabetes.
- Diabetes can't keep Shafer off the lanes.
- Woman puts diabetes to the test in Costa Rica; A local Type 1 diabetic is 'tackling a volcano' on May 7 to raise funds and awareness for the disease.
- Increased Insulin May Be Needed Over 5,000 Meters.
- Madison woman celebrates 50 years with type 1 diabetes.
- Q&A: UCSF's Jeff Bluestone on the Tricky Balancing Act Between Academia and Industry.
- Tolerx And Glaxosmithkline Announce Phase 3 Defend-1 Study of Otelixizumab in Type 1 Diabetes Did Not Meet Its Primary Endpoint. See also Monoclonal Antibody Fails in Type 1 Diabetes and Failure of diabetes drug is a setback for Tolerx.
- B.B. King, Crystal Bowersox And OneTouch® Take Center Stage In New Diabetes Campaign.
- Lilly Diabetes and the American Diabetes Association partner to send 88 children with diabetes to American Diabetes Association Diabetes Camps in 2011.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Wednesday March 16, 2011 14:06:04
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2013. Comments and Feedback.