Of Continuing Interest
- Diabetes Scholars Foundation Golf Fore Education to be held at Disney's Osprey Ridge Golf Course on Tuesday, July 5, 2011, the day before Friends for Life: Orlando 2011.
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life Annual International Conference 2011 at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida from July 6-10, 2011.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Canada 2011 conference, to be held at the Marriott Toronto Downtown Eaton Centre, Toronto, Canada from July 29-31, 2011.
- CWD's Friends for Life UK 2011 conference, to be held at Beaumont House, Old Windsor, Berkshire from October 28-30, 2011, is currently sold out.
Other Stories of Interest
- CWD is looking for positive stories about kids and their school nurse and coaching staff for publication in a national school nurse journal.
- The 2011 DiabetesMine Design Challenge has begun.
New This Week
- We report on the CWD Focus on Technology: Cincinnati conference.
- Last week's poll asked our readers how often they check blood glucose levels during the night. This week's poll asks our readers how concerned they are about the accuracy of their blood glucose meter.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Type 1 Diabetes: A Guide for Children, Adolescents and Young Adults -- and Their Caregivers by Ragnar Hanas, M.D.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
On top of the cookies in the cookie jar is a paper with 6c. (6 Carbohydrates) each written on it. Upon returning from getting a cookie, my non-diabetic nephew says, "I don't have 6 cents to pay for each one of these cookies." My 5 year old diabetic son said, "It's carbs, not cents!"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your son opens the car door at church and laughs because there's a test strip on the parking lot - and of course it's the type you use! See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My 12-year-old daughter has had diabetes for 10 years. Since several of my family members are/have been suffering from its complications, might there be some genetic component that my daughter will suffer complications as well?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
What was your CWD's a1c upon diagnosis?
Advocacy and Events
- The Walk with Walgreens Family Fun Day & Health Fair on Sunday, April 10th, to be held throughout Florida, benefits the Diabetes Research Institute. Additional volunteers are needed in Orlando (Cranes Roost Park), Sarasota (Siesta Beach Key), and Tallahassee (Lake Ella Park). Contact Tom Karlya at email@example.com for more information.
- Brenda Novak's 2011 Online Auction to Benefit Diabetes Research is scheduled to run from May 1 - 31, 2011. See also Brunch for A Cause With New York Times Best-Selling Author Brenda Novak!
- The 2011 Bumps & Pumps (and Pens!) Beach Volleyball Tournament supporting Connected In Motion will be held on Saturday April 30, 2011 from 5:30 â€“ 10:00 pm at Beach Blast in Toronto, Ontario.
- DTREAT Ottawa is holding a retreat for adults with type 1 diabetes from May 6-8, 2011 at Carleton University in Ottawa. Register online.
- America Runs on Insulin.
- Design Challenge Judge Daniel Crowe: One Cool Diabetologist Living with Type 1.
- Design Challenge 1.
- Test Strip "Charity" a Bait and Switch?
- Diabetes Power 1st Edition Online Magazine.
- Wanted for Summer 2011: Summer Camp Counselor With Type 1 Diabetes and/or experience with insulin pump therapy.
- Microvascular complications assessment in adolescents with 2- to 5-yr duration of type 1 diabetes from 1990 to 2006.
- Early introduction of root vegetables in infancy associated with advanced beta-cell autoimmunity in young children with human leukocyte antigen-conferred susceptibility to Type 1 diabetes.
- Erythrocyte membrane omega-3 fatty acid levels and omega-3 fatty acid intake are not associated with conversion to type 1 diabetes in children with islet autoimmunity: The Diabetes Autoimmunity Study in the Young (DAISY).
- Preimplantation factor (PIF) analog prevents type I diabetes mellitus (TIDM) development by preserving pancreatic function in NOD mice.
- Inherited Variation in Vitamin D Genes Is Associated With Predisposition to Autoimmune Disease Type 1 Diabetes.
- Onset features and subsequent clinical evolution of childhood diabetes over several years.
- Assessment of skin autofluorescence as a marker of advanced glycation end product accumulation in type 1 diabetes. Free full text in PDF available via link at the Polish Archives of Internal Medicine web site.
- Increased Fat Mass and Cardiac Septal Hypertrophy in Newborn Infants of Mothers with Well-Controlled Diabetes during Pregnancy.
- Antidiabetic Actions of Endogenous and Exogenous GLP-1 in Type 1 Diabetic Patients With and Without Residual beta-Cell Function.
- Prevalence of intentional under- and overdosing of insulin in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Treatment with insulin detemir or NPH insulin in children aged 2-5 yr with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Mobile phone support is associated with reduced ketoacidosis in young adults.
- Attained education and self-assessed health later in life when diagnosed with diabetes in childhood: a population-based study.
- Association of DASH Diet With Cardiovascular Risk Factors in Youth With Diabetes Mellitus: The SEARCH for Diabetes in Youth Study.
- Parathormone - 25(OH)-vitamin D axis and bone status in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Cognitive function in adult offspring of women with Type 1 diabetes.
- Effect of Intensive Glycemic Therapy on Erectile Function in Men With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Esophageal manifestations of celiac disease.
- Docosahexaenoic acid modulates in vitro the inflammation of celiac disease in intestinal epithelial cells via the inhibition of cPLA(2).
- Screening Study Shows Higher Prevalence for Celiac Disease.
- Going out gluten-free.
- Gluten-free chocolate sandwich cookies.
Legal and Legislative
- Willacy County parents sentenced for daughter's death.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Famous faces of diabetes.
- Diabetic to lose her pump and sleep.
- Big-hearted bikers who've saved Caoimhe from 1,722 jabs a year.
- Banding together against Type 1 diabetes.
- Some Type 1 Diabetics Seem Shielded Against Complications.
- Dr. Stephen Ponder at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School at the Permian Basin completes his first diabetes house call. (PDF)
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Wednesday March 30, 2011 14:51:34
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2013. Comments and Feedback.