Of Continuing Interest
- Diabetes Scholars Foundation Golf Fore Education to be held at Disney's Osprey Ridge Golf Course on Tuesday, July 5, 2011, the day before Friends for Life: Orlando 2011.
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life Annual International Conference 2011 at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida from July 6-10, 2011.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Canada 2011 conference, to be held at the Marriott Toronto Downtown Eaton Centre, Toronto, Canada from July 29-31, 2011.
- CWD's Friends for Life UK 2011 conference, to be held at Beaumont House, Old Windsor, Berkshire from October 28-30, 2011, is currently sold out.
New This Week
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology conference, to be held at at the Renaissance Seattle Hotel in Seattle, Washington from November 18-20, 2011.
- CWD is conducting a brief survey of our readers.
- Nicholas is eight and was diagnosed right before Christmas 2010.
- Last week's poll asked readers how often they download data from their glucose meter. This week's poll asks readers what they think is the hardest part of diabetes.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Why Me? Why Did I Have To Get Diabetes? by Robert Messinger and Laura Messinger.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My husband had checked Hayden's glucose for me and yelled to me upstairs the numbers. Hayden needed his morning insulin of Humilin-U. I told Hayden to tell daddy he needed "3 units of U." He ran down the stairs yelling, "Daddy, you need 3 minutes of me!"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your laundry smells good because you accidentally washed the glucose tabs again. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Despite a lot of exercise and a very well balanced diet, my teen daughter continues to gain weight. Do you have any suggestions? The dietitian said her diet needs no adjustment.
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
- You can read the transcript of our chat with Dr. Bruce Buckingham about the TrialNet Oral Insulin Trial.
Advocacy and Events
- Brenda Novak's 2011 Online Auction to Benefit Diabetes Research is scheduled to run from May 1 - 31, 2011. See also Brunch for A Cause With New York Times Best-Selling Author Brenda Novak!
- The 2011 Bumps & Pumps (and Pens!) Beach Volleyball Tournament supporting Connected In Motion will be held on Saturday April 30, 2011 from 5:30 to 10:00 pm at Beach Blast in Toronto, Ontario.
- DTREAT Ottawa is holding a retreat for adults with type 1 diabetes from May 6-8, 2011 at Carleton University in Ottawa. Register online.
Studies and Surveys
- The Children's Hospital at Montefiore in New York is recruiting for two new studies: Effects of Byetta in people newly diagnosed with type 1 and Effects of Symlin & Byetta on after meal blood sugars in people with type 1.
- Asserting the Rights of People with Diabetes (!).
- Guest Post: Setting Sail with Diabetes.
- Rumors That Prove True: Medtronic Enlite Sensors and the Animas Vibe.
- Cellnovo = iPhone-ish Patch Pump System Worth Waiting For.
- Reaching Out To The DOC Through Diabetes Advocates.
- Diabetes in Art: A Conversation with Kathryn DeMarco.
- Wanted for Summer 2011: Summer Camp Counselor With Type 1 Diabetes and/or experience with insulin pump therapy.
- A Recent Survey Confirms the Efficacy and the Safety of Implanted Insulin Pumps During Long-Term Use in Poorly Controlled Type 1 Diabetes Patients.
- Insulin action in adipose tissue in type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Decreased cortical connectivity and information flow in type 1 diabetes.
- Type 1 diabetes control and pregnancy outcomes in women treated with continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion (CSII) or with insulin glargine and multiple daily injections of rapid-acting insulin analogues (glargine-MDI).
- Extraordinary exposed in early motherhood- a qualitative study exploring experiences of mothers with type 1 diabetes.
- Poor adherence to integral daily tasks limits the efficacy of CSII in youth.
- An Innovative Telemedical Support System to Measure Physical Activity in Children and Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Predictors of diabetic ketoacidosis in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes. Experience from a large multicentre database.
- Bone density, body composition, and markers of bone remodeling in type 1 diabetic patients.
- Quality of life and glycemic control in adolescents with type 1 diabetes and the impact of an education intervention. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Acute juvenile cataract in newly diagnosed type 1 diabetic patients: a description of six cases.
- Sexual Function in Women with Type 1 Diabetes Matched with a Control Group: Depressive and Psychosocial Aspects.
- The prevalence of celiac disease in patients with irritable bowel syndrome.
- Bread seller admits he lied.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Hackensack hospital to pioneer new diabetes treatment.
- Technology fights eye disease.
- Swim for Diabetes raises over $200,000.
- Sky's the limit for Newton born Sky News anchor Stephen Dixon.
- Poker run personal for parents of boy with type 1 diabetes.
- Study aims to find cause of type 1 diabetes.
- Schools in UAE urged not to shun diabetics.
- Diabetic girl dies at boarding school.
- Doctor cleared of misconduct following death of Widnes patient Sarah Jane McNicholas.
- Medtronic Launches More Accurate and Comfortable Sensor to Help Improve Glucose Control; Enliteâ„¢ Sensor Available to Diabetes Patients for Continuous Glucose Monitoring in More Than 35 Countries.
- Asante Solutions, Inc. Receives CE Mark for Pearlâ„¢ Insulin Pump.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:40
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2015. Comments and Feedback.