Of Continuing Interest
- Diabetes Scholars Foundation Golf Fore Education to be held at Disney's Osprey Ridge Golf Course on Tuesday, July 5, 2011, the day before Friends for Life: Orlando 2011.
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life Annual International Conference 2011 at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida from July 6-10, 2011.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Canada 2011 conference, to be held at the Marriott Toronto Downtown Eaton Centre, Toronto, Canada from July 29-31, 2011.
- CWD's Friends for Life UK 2011 conference, to be held at Beaumont House, Old Windsor, Berkshire from October 28-30, 2011, is currently sold out.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology conference, to be held at at the Renaissance Seattle Hotel in Seattle, Washington from November 18-20, 2011.
New This Week
- The 2011 Lisa Awards.
- Last week's poll asked parents how soon after their child was diagnosed they began to go out again. This week's poll asks readers if their diabetes team provides emotional support.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Diabetes Rising: How a Rare Disease Became a Modern Pandemic, and What to Do About It by Dan Hurley.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
Alexis went to a birthday party that was taking a trip to the apple orchard. When she got to the stand, a lady behind the counter was describing the different type of apples. Alexis asked the lady behind the counter, "Where are the sugar-free trees?"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your dog's favorite toy is an empty test strip bottle. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
A young dietitian told my teen son that he can eat whatever he wants because he's on a pump. Does a pump actually give a type 1 diabetic this much freedom?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
How open are you with strangers when they ask about your CWD?
Advocacy and Events
- Brenda Novak's 2011 Online Auction to Benefit Diabetes Research is scheduled to run from May 1 - 31, 2011. See also Brunch for A Cause With New York Times Best-Selling Author Brenda Novak!
- JDRF is hosting Diabetes Today and Tomorrow, one of the largest single-day patient education programs, on May 21, 2011 in Livonia, Michigan. The program is online (PDF). Attendance is free, but registration is required.
- Families are invited to the Gala Preview of the latest Disney-Pixar film, Cars 2, at Pixar Animation Studies on Saturday, June 2, supporting the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.
- Riding On Insulin is holding a Ski & Snowboard Camp at the Oregon & Timberline lodge on Mt. Hood from June 3-4, 2011, led by pro-snowboarder Sean Busby, who has type 1 diabetes.
- DTreat Tampa is holding an event for young adults with type 1, ages 18-25, at the University of South Florida in Tampa from July 1-3, 2011. Session topics will include diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and active living, diabetes advocacy, diabetes and mental health, financial issues surrounding diabetes, health insurance, research and technology and the history of diabetes. Visit the DECA Programs web site to register.
Studies and Surveys
- The Children's Hospital at Montefiore in New York is recruiting for two new studies: Effects of Byetta in people newly diagnosed with type 1 and Effects of Symlin & Byetta on after meal blood sugars in people with type 1.
- D-Blog Week: Letter Writing Day.
- Leah Fox: Teen with a Talent for Giving Back.
- A New Kind of Diabetes Education.
- Curing Diabetes: Would I Do It Again?
Products, Services and Books
- Abbott FreeStyle InsuLinx Blood Glucose Monitoring System with Insulin Calculator Receives CE Mark.
- Postprandial and Fasting Hepatic Glucose Fluxes in Longstanding Type 1 Diabetes.
- Impact of type 1 diabetes and body weight status on cardiovascular risk factors in adolescent children.
- A Bridge to Insulin Pump Therapy: Bid Regimen with NPH and Detemir Insulin During Initial Treatment of Youth with Type 1 Diabetes (T1D).
- Menarche delay and menstrual irregularities persist in adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Young adults' management of Type 1 diabetes during life transitions.
- A fairy tale of modern insulin therapy in type 1 diabetes.
- Role of antibodies in celiac disease after one year of treatment to predict the adherence to gluten-free diet.
- Serological tests for celiac disease as indicators of long-term compliance with the gluten-free diet.
- Celiac Disease Vaccine Shows Promising Results in Phase I Trial.
- Kids' Birth Month Seems to Be Linked to Celiac Disease: Study.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- World-class athlete Chris Southwell explores his boundaries.
- UCI clarifies No Needle Policy for diabetics.
- LifeScan Fulfills Exclusive U.S. Agreement With Medtronic.
- Diamyd reports initial results from European Phase III trial in patients newly diagnosed with type 1 diabetes.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Wednesday May 11, 2011 14:56:44
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2014. Comments and Feedback.