Of Continuing Interest
- Diabetes Scholars Foundation Golf Fore Education to be held at Disney's Osprey Ridge Golf Course on Tuesday, July 5, 2011, the day before Friends for Life: Orlando 2011.
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life Annual International Conference 2011 at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida from July 6-10, 2011.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Canada 2011 conference, to be held at the Marriott Toronto Downtown Eaton Centre, Toronto, Canada from July 29-31, 2011.
- CWD's Friends for Life UK 2011 conference, to be held at Beaumont House, Old Windsor, Berkshire from October 28-30, 2011, is currently sold out.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology conference, to be held at at the Renaissance Seattle Hotel in Seattle, Washington from November 18-20, 2011.
New This Week
- Vote Now for Your Fave 2011 DiabetesMine Design Challenge Finalists!
- Last week's poll asked readers if their diabetes team provides emotional support. This week's poll asks readers when they last refilled their glucagon prescription.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Understanding Insulin Pumps & Continuous Glucose Monitors, 2nd Edition by H. Peter Chase, MD, and Laurel Messer, RN, MPH, CDE.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My 5 year old kindergartner wears her diabetes "bracelet" around her ankle because it's more comfortable and doesn't get in her way. One day at school, her friend asked her, "How do you know which leg has diabetes?" My daughter laughingly replied, "My whole BODY has diabetes!"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you wake in the middle of the night unable to sleep, roll over and gaze at your hunky husband just as the inevitable thought crosses your mind--better go take a quick blood sugar check. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Our family doctor recommended melatonin for some mild insomnia my teen son has been having lately. Is there a reason to be concerned about its use? The label says it's not for use by people with autoimmune diseases.
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Semi-untethered with Levemir instead of Lantus
Advocacy and Events
- Brenda Novak's 2011 Online Auction to Benefit Diabetes Research is scheduled to run from May 1 - 31, 2011. See also Brunch for A Cause With New York Times Best-Selling Author Brenda Novak!
- JDRF is hosting Diabetes Today and Tomorrow, one of the largest single-day patient education programs, on May 21, 2011 in Livonia, Michigan. The program is online (PDF). Attendance is free, but registration is required.
- Families are invited to the Gala Preview of the latest Disney-Pixar film, Cars 2, at Pixar Animation Studies on Saturday, June 11, supporting the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.
- Riding On Insulin is holding a Ski & Snowboard Camp at the Oregon & Timberline lodge on Mt. Hood from June 3-4, 2011, led by pro-snowboarder Sean Busby, who has type 1 diabetes.
- DTreat Tampa is holding an event for young adults with type 1, ages 18-25, at the University of South Florida in Tampa from July 1-3, 2011. Session topics will include diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and active living, diabetes advocacy, diabetes and mental health, financial issues surrounding diabetes, health insurance, research and technology and the history of diabetes. Visit the DECA Programs web site to register.
Studies and Surveys
- The Children's Hospital at Montefiore in New York is recruiting for two new studies: Effects of Byetta in people newly diagnosed with type 1 and Effects of Symlin & Byetta on after meal blood sugars in people with type 1.
- JDRF's Insulin Initiative: Afrezza, Roche's DiaPort, Smart Insulin and More.
- D-Blog Week: Diabetes Bloopers! (because sometimes you just need to laugh).
- The Day I was Diagnosed with Juvenile Diabetes.
- Check-B4U-Drive by Scott Kune describes the Juvenile Diabetes No Limits driving program.
- The Feasibility of Detecting Neuropsychologic and Neuroanatomic Effects of Type 1 Diabetes in Young Children.
- Age of Islet Autoantibody Appearance and Mean Levels of Insulin, But Not GAD or IA-2 Autoantibodies, Predict Age of Diagnosis of Type 1 Diabetes: Diabetes Autoimmunity Study in the Young.
- Blue eyes and fair skin as risk factors for type 1 diabetes.
- Increased Accumulation of Skin Advanced Glycation End Products Is Associated with Microvascular Complications in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Predictors of microvascular complications in type 1 diabetic patients at onset: The role of metabolic memory.
- The Future of Basal Insulin Supplementation.
- Evaluating Rate of Change as an Index of Glycemic Variability, Using Continuous Glucose Monitoring Data.
- Depressive symptoms predict change in glycemic control in adolescents with type 1 diabetes: rates, magnitude, and moderators of change.
- Impact of videogame playing on glucose metabolism in children with type 1 diabetes.
- The Effect of Recurrent Severe Hypoglycemia on Cognitive Performance in Children With Type 1 Diabetes: A Meta-analysis.
- Disturbed subjective sleep characteristics in adult patients with long-standing type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Balancing health benefits and social sacrifices: A qualitative study of how screening-detected celiac disease impacts adolescents' quality of life.
- Prevalence of IgA antitissue transglutaminase antibodies in children with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Living the gluten-free life.
- Family Lives Gluten-Free While Coping with Celiac Disease.
Legal and Legislative
- American Diabetes Association Applauds the U.S. Department of Justice and Medical and Disability Rights Groups for Filing Briefs in its Case Seeking to Ensure Access to Insulin for California Students with Diabetes. (PDF)
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Nat Strand's Amazing Race.
- Phil Southerland was told hed die. He didnt listen. He kept charging.
- Dr. Ponder: What's behind 'diabetic coma'?
- Charlie Kimball makes history at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. See also Rookie Charlie Kimball appreciates 1st day at IMS.
- Profiles in Type 1: Dr. Jonathan Beach.
- The Signs of Diabulimia.
- Asante Solutions Receives FDA Clearance for PearlTM Insulin Pump.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:41
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2017. Comments and Feedback.