Of Continuing Interest
- Diabetes Scholars Foundation Golf Fore Education to be held at Disney's Osprey Ridge Golf Course on Tuesday, July 5, 2011, the day before Friends for Life: Orlando 2011.
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life Annual International Conference 2011 at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida from July 6-10, 2011.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Canada 2011 conference, to be held at the Marriott Toronto Downtown Eaton Centre, Toronto, Canada from July 29-31, 2011.
- CWD's Friends for Life UK 2011 conference, to be held at Beaumont House, Old Windsor, Berkshire from October 28-30, 2011, is currently sold out.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology conference, to be held at at the Renaissance Seattle Hotel in Seattle, Washington from November 18-20, 2011.
New This Week
- Giant 'Be Part of the CURE' Banner Hangs in Lobby as a Testament to DRI's Sole Mission.
- Vote Now for Your Fave 2011 DiabetesMine Design Challenge Finalists!
- Last week's poll asked readers when they last refilled their glucagon prescription. This week's poll asks readers if they have a diabetes emergency kit prepared.
- The Featured Book of the Week is The ABCs of Loving Yourself with Diabetes by Riva Greenberg. Riva will be presenting at Friends for Life: Orlando 2011.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
The other day my neighbor was admiring the new little tree we had planted in the front yard. I told her I needed to give it another dose of Nutrasweet. I meant to say MiracleGrow.
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you reach in your purse, grab your tube of lotion and realize you are rubbing cake frosting into your hands. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Initially, my son's diagnosis was type 2, but it was changed to type 1.5 after antibody testing. What diagnosis do his test results indicate?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Divorced parents with a diabetic child?
Advocacy and Events
- Brenda Novak's 2011 Online Auction to Benefit Diabetes Research is scheduled to run from May 1 - 31, 2011. See also Brunch for A Cause With New York Times Best-Selling Author Brenda Novak!
- Families are invited to the Gala Preview of the latest Disney-Pixar film, Cars 2, at Pixar Animation Studies on Saturday, June 11, 2011, supporting the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.
- DTreat Tampa is holding an event for young adults with type 1, ages 18-25, at the University of South Florida in Tampa from July 1-3, 2011. Session topics will include diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and active living, diabetes advocacy, diabetes and mental health, financial issues surrounding diabetes, health insurance, research and technology and the history of diabetes. Visit the DECA Programs web site to register.
Studies and Surveys
- The Children's Hospital at Montefiore in New York is recruiting for two new studies: Effects of Byetta in people newly diagnosed with type 1 and Effects of Symlin & Byetta on after meal blood sugars in people with type 1.
- It's Contextual, Stupid.
- The 411 on Depression + Diabetes.
- Interview: Leah Fox and Pennies 4 Pumps.
- A Sweet Girl in Ghana: Managing Type 1 Diabetes in Western Africa.
- Long-Term Outcome of Individuals Treated With Oral Insulin: Diabetes Prevention Trial–Type 1 (DPT-1) oral insulin trial.
- First-degree relatives of persons with type 1 diabetes: insulin resistance and enterovirus infection are associated with different patterns of islet cell autoimmunity.
- Prevalence and characteristics of diabetes among Somali children and adolescents living in Helsinki, Finland.
- Association between vitamin D receptor gene polymorphisms and type 1 diabetes mellitus in Iranian population.
- Gut peptide hormones and paediatric type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Retinal Vascular Geometry Predicts Incident Retinopathy in Young People With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Diabetes Linked to Premature Death From Vascular Disease, Other Causes.
- Amelioration of type I diabetes-induced osteoporosis by parathyroid hormone is associated with improved osteoblast survival.
- Four Weeks of Treatment With Liraglutide Reduces Insulin Dose Without Loss of Glycemic Control in Type 1 Diabetic Patients With and Without Residual beta-Cell Function.
- Preventing Exercise-Induced Hypoglycemia in Type 1 Diabetes Using Real-Time Continuous Glucose Monitoring and a New Carbohydrate Intake Algorithm: An Observational Field Study.
- Insulin Detemir Reduces Weight Gain As a Result of Reduced Food Intake in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Developmental Trajectories of Metabolic Control among White, Black, and Hispanic Youth with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Incretin-based therapy in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Does poor early metabolic control predict subsequent poor control in young children with Type 1 diabetes: An exploratory study.
- Self-management of Type 1 Diabetes Across Adolescence.
- The concerns of school staff in caring for children with diabetes in primary school (in the UK, ed.).
- Acute hypoglycemia decreases central retinal function in the human eye.
- Insulin resistance and hypertension in patients with type 1 diabetes.
- Combined atherogenic effects of celiac disease and type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Evaluation of the quality of life of children with celiac disease and their parents: a case-control study.
- On nutrition: What celiac is and isn't.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Team Type 1 takes on diabetes awareness.
- Two Fremont boys deal with everyday life and Type 1 diabetes.
- Diabetic recognised.
- Aid snatched from Parkdale child ambassador.
- New Book Explores the Functional Use of Insulin.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Wednesday May 25, 2011 12:40:35
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2014. Comments and Feedback.