Of Continuing Interest
- Diabetes Scholars Foundation Golf Fore Education to be held at Disney's Osprey Ridge Golf Course on Tuesday, July 5, 2011, the day before Friends for Life: Orlando 2011.
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life Annual International Conference 2011 at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida from July 6-10, 2011.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Canada 2011 conference, to be held at the Marriott Toronto Downtown Eaton Centre, Toronto, Canada from July 29-31, 2011.
- CWD's Friends for Life UK 2011 conference, to be held at Beaumont House, Old Windsor, Berkshire from October 28-30, 2011, is currently sold out.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology conference, to be held at at the Renaissance Seattle Hotel in Seattle, Washington from November 18-20, 2011.
New This Week
- Liz is 16 and was diagnosed when she was 11.
- Last week's poll asked readers if they have a diabetes emergency kit prepared. This week's poll asks readers if they have been checked for celiac.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Breakthrough: Elizabeth Hughes, the Discovery of Insulin, and the Making of a Medical Miracle by Thea Cooper and Arthur Ainsberg.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
I received a little reminder of my daughter away at college: One rainy morning I grabbed a different umbrella on my way to work. As I released the fastener in preparation for opening it in the parking garage elevator, three test strips fell on the floor.
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your child practices her math facts using her MultiClix lancing device as a counter! See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Do you have any information pertaining to research projects involving human cord blood stem cells? Should I consider banking my daughter's baby teeth which may also contain useful stem cells?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
iPhone app for carb counting?
Advocacy and Events
- Families are invited to the Gala Preview of the latest Disney-Pixar film, Cars 2, at Pixar Animation Studies on Saturday, June 11, 2011, supporting the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.
- DTreat Tampa is holding an event for young adults with type 1, ages 18-25, at the University of South Florida in Tampa from July 1-3, 2011. Session topics will include diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and active living, diabetes advocacy, diabetes and mental health, financial issues surrounding diabetes, health insurance, research and technology and the history of diabetes. Visit the DECA Programs web site to register.
- I'm Sorry, Doctor, But I Take Exception to Something You Just Said.
- Exercising My Right to Loiter.
- Life for a Child illustrates the challenge of living with diabetes living in the developing world.
- Indy 500 Driver Charlie Kimball Talks About Racings with Diabetes.
- Triabuddies - Insulindependence Triabetes Youth Program.
- Serum adiponectin concentration is a positive predictor of all-cause and cardiovascular mortality in type 1 diabetes.
- Soluble receptor for AGE (RAGE) is a novel independent predictor of all-cause and cardiovascular mortality in type 1 diabetes.
- Diabetic Ketosis Caused by the Insulin Analog Aspart–Induced Anti-Insulin Antibody: Successful Treatment With the Newest Insulin Analog Glulisine.
- Lipid profile and nutritional intake in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes improve after a structured dietician training to a Mediterranean-style diet.
- Clinical and metabolic effects of gluten free diet in children with type 1 diabetes and coeliac disease.
- Compliant gluten-free children with celiac disease: an evaluation of psychological distress.
- Gluten contamination in the Canadian commercial oat supply.
- Celiac Disease and the Athlete.
- Differences between pediatric and adult celiac disease.
- Immunomodulatory effects of Lactobacillus casei administration in a mouse model of gliadin-sensitive enteropathy.
Legal and Legislative
- Obama administration steps into insulin shot fight.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Man celebrates 85 years of living with diabetes.
- Living with diabetes.
- Type 1 personalities - Joslin's study of 50-year diabetes patients indicates what has made them survive, thrive.
- Ainsley Jordan faces lifelong battle with Type 1 diabetes.
- Liberty High senior Reed keeping his life on track.
- Teenager scoops Mr Wales title.
- Pet Talk: Dogs are trained to identify when a diabetic boy is having issues with his blood sugar.
- Type 1 Diabetes Scouts Have Fun.
- Walkerton teen wins award for managing diabetes.
- San Diego company studies stem cell implant as a Type 1 diabetes treatment.
- Award-winning Diabetes Documentary Life for a Child Available Free Online at Hulu.com.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Wednesday June 01, 2011 13:35:37
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2013. Comments and Feedback.