Of Continuing Interest
- Diabetes Scholars Foundation Golf Fore Education to be held at Disney's Osprey Ridge Golf Course on Tuesday, July 5, 2011, the day before Friends for Life: Orlando 2011.
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life Annual International Conference 2011 at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida from July 6-10, 2011.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Canada 2011 conference, to be held at the Marriott Toronto Downtown Eaton Centre, Toronto, Canada from July 29-31, 2011.
- CWD's Friends for Life UK 2011 conference, to be held at Beaumont House, Old Windsor, Berkshire from October 28-30, 2011, is currently sold out.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology conference, to be held at at the Renaissance Seattle Hotel in Seattle, Washington from November 18-20, 2011.
New This Week
- JDRF President and CEO Jeffrey Brewer offers the State of the Foundation.
- Last week's poll asked readers if they have been checked for celiac. This week's poll asks parents who is primarily responsible for their child's diabetes care.
- The Featured Book of the Week is The Fight to Survive: A Young Girl, Diabetes, and the Discovery of Insulin by Caroline Cox.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
I came downstairs one afternoon and my son Max (age 10, dx 4 years ago) said, "Mom, I was 28!" I said "Oh my gosh (panic rising in my throat), did you get some juice? Do you need help?" "No," he said. "Not my blood sugar! 28 was my Wii Fit age!"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you're proud when your 3 year old can 'aim' to hit the ketone test strip. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
I believe my son is having "hypo rebounds." Is this possible? If so, how do we treat them? Should I give him extra insulin when he experiences such a high blood sugar?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Where did your pump start happen?
- Join Laura Billetdeaux for the final pre-conference chat about CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2011 conference at 9pm Eastern on Wednesday, June 22nd in the Friends for Life Chat Room.
Advocacy and Events
- Families are invited to the Gala Preview of the latest Disney-Pixar film, Cars 2, at Pixar Animation Studies on Saturday, June 11, 2011, supporting the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.
- DTreat Tampa is holding an event for young adults with type 1, ages 18-25, at the University of South Florida in Tampa from July 1-3, 2011. Session topics will include diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and active living, diabetes advocacy, diabetes and mental health, financial issues surrounding diabetes, health insurance, research and technology and the history of diabetes. Visit the DECA Programs web site to register.
- The Miracle of Route 24.
- Joslin Medalists.
- An Implantable Artificial Pancreas: Could It Cure Diabetes?
- Why Diabetes Prevention Might Work When Treatment Doesn't.
- The Diabetes Hands Foundation is seeking a bilingual program manager.
- The Feasibility of Detecting Neuropsychologic and Neuroanatomic Effects of Type 1 Diabetes in Young Children.
- What causes type 1 diabetes? Lessons from animal models.
- Etiological Approach to Characterization of Diabetes Type: The SEARCH for Diabetes in Youth Study.
- Skin Intrinsic Fluorescence Is Associated With Hemoglobin A1c and Hemoglobin Glycation Index but Not Mean Blood Glucose in Children With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Defective Differentiation of Regulatory FoxP3+ T Cells by Small-Intestinal Dendritic Cells in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Liraglutide as Additional Treatment in Type 1 Diabetes. See also Type 2 Diabetes Treatment Victoza Helps Type 1, Too.
- Pediatric Parenting Stress and Its Relation to Depressive Symptoms and Fear of Hypoglycemia in Parents of Young Children with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Diabetic retinopathy in type 1 diabetes-a contemporary analysis of 8,784 patients.
- Quality of life in pregnancy and post-partum: a study in diabetic patients.
- Optimal Glycemic Control, Pre-Eclampsia, and Gestational Hypertension in Women With Type 1 Diabetes in the Diabetes and Pre-Eclampsia Intervention Trial.
- Within-subject biological variation of glucose and HbA(1c) in healthy persons and in type 1 diabetes patients.
- Effect of camel milk on glycemic control and insulin requirement in patients with type 1 diabetes: 2-years randomized controlled trial.
- Are those gluten-free kisses?
- Recent advances in celiac disease. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Cesarean delivery is associated with celiac disease but not inflammatory bowel disease in children.
- Colonization of infant's gut by Bacteroides is influenced by environmental and genetic factors linked to celiac disease risk.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- 5PM INTERVIEW: Juvenile Diabetes Congress.
- Diabetes Won't Sideline Ryan Reed.
- Zoe McBride, 18, fights diabetes with fitness.
- Diamyd regains control of diabetes therapy.
- Young Entrepreneur Builds New Diabetes Business.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Wednesday June 08, 2011 15:07:40
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2013. Comments and Feedback.