Of Continuing Interest
- Diabetes Scholars Foundation Golf Fore Education to be held at Disney's Osprey Ridge Golf Course on Tuesday, July 5, 2011, the day before Friends for Life: Orlando 2011.
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life Annual International Conference 2011 at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida from July 6-10, 2011.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Canada 2011 conference, to be held at the Marriott Toronto Downtown Eaton Centre, Toronto, Canada from July 29-31, 2011.
- CWD's Friends for Life UK 2011 conference, to be held at Beaumont House, Old Windsor, Berkshire from October 28-30, 2011, is currently sold out.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology conference, to be held at at the Renaissance Seattle Hotel in Seattle, Washington from November 18-20, 2011.
Other Stories of Continuing Interest
- DTreat Tampa is holding an event for young adults with type 1, ages 18-25, at the University of South Florida in Tampa from July 1-3, 2011. Session topics will include diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and active living, diabetes advocacy, diabetes and mental health, financial issues surrounding diabetes, health insurance, research and technology and the history of diabetes. Visit the DECA Programs web site to register.
New This Week
- You can make a difference in the life of a child or teen with diabetes by bidding on an item in the Diabetes Scholars Foundation Auction 2011.
- Kristina, first added to CWD's Kids' Voices in August 1999, is now 21 and getting married.
- Colton, now 13 years old, was diagnosed in 2000.
- Last week's poll asked parents about who is primarily responsible for their child's diabetes care. This week's poll asks readers about their connection to diabetes.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner, MS, CDE.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
When my daughter was in kindergarten one of her classmates told his mom, "Noelle has to go the health office all the time." When she asked him why, he said, "Because she is diabolical." Of course, she knew what he meant. We still call her our diabolical diabetic.
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your non-D child refers to all numbers as carbs - "I'm 3 carbs old!" See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My niece has identations on her abdomen and thighs. The doctor said they were from injections, but they have gotten worse in the last year even though she now uses a pump. What causes these?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Packing for a trip...What I have forgotten?
- Join Laura Billetdeaux for the final pre-conference chat about CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2011 conference at 9pm Eastern on Wednesday, June 22nd in the Friends for Life Chat Room.
- You Can Do THIS: My Video.
- Joslin Medalists: How Far We've Come, and How Far We Can Go.
- ANNOUNCING OUR WINNERS: The 2011 DiabetesMine™ Design Challenge.
- Diabetes in the UK: Free Care, But Behind the Times?
- Sweet Blood.
- Early feeding and risk of type 1 diabetes: experiences from the Trial to Reduce Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus in the Genetically at Risk (TRIGR). See also New Study Shows Infant Formula Linked to Childhood Diabetes.
- Thymic Self-Antigen Expression for the Design of a Negative/Tolerogenic Self-Vaccine against Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Antigen-based immune therapeutics for type 1 diabetes: magic bullets or ordinary blanks? Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Type I diabetes-associated tolerogenic properties of interleukin-2. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Recurrence of Autoimmunity Following Pancreas Transplantation.
- Progressive Erosion of beta-Cell Function Precedes the Onset of Hyperglycemia in the NOD Mouse Model of Type 1 Diabetes.
- JDRF to Support Selecta's Development of Tolerogenic Type 1 Diabetes Vaccine.
- Youth and Parent Knowledge and Communication About Major Complications of Type 1 Diabetes: Associations With Diabetes Outcomes.
- Body composition, metabolic syndrome and insulin resistance in type 1 diabetes mellitus. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- From menarche to menopause: the fertile life span of celiac women.
- Advantages to Early Intervention for Asymptomatic Celiac Disease.
- Oats and a gluten-free diet.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- A Graduation That May Carry Unnecessary Risk explores the importance of planning the transition from pediatric to adult care.
- Why You Need to Watch Your Medicine.
- Hawaii's youngest diabetes advocate heads to Congress.
- Specialized Diabetes Camps.
- Balancing Diabetes and Celiac Disease.
- Rubens Bertogliati: "That's the hardest climb in Switzerland."
- Diabetic Pro Snowboarder descends remote Iceland Mountains.
- Nasal vaccine could prevent diabetes.
- New Grant Supports Study Combining Several Technologies to Advance Cell Replacement Therapy.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Wednesday June 15, 2011 16:17:34
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2013. Comments and Feedback.