Of Continuing Interest
- Diabetes Scholars Foundation Golf Fore Education to be held at Disney's Osprey Ridge Golf Course on Tuesday, July 5, 2011, the day before Friends for Life: Orlando 2011.
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life Annual International Conference 2011 at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida from July 6-10, 2011.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Canada 2011 conference, to be held at the Marriott Toronto Downtown Eaton Centre, Toronto, Canada from July 29-31, 2011.
- CWD's Friends for Life UK 2011 conference, to be held at Beaumont House, Old Windsor, Berkshire from October 28-30, 2011, is currently sold out.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology conference, to be held at at the Renaissance Seattle Hotel in Seattle, Washington from November 18-20, 2011.
New This Week
- Next week is CWD's Friends for Life Annual International Conference 2011 at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida. With so much going on at FFL, we'll be taking a break from the weekly "What's New in Children with Diabetes" email newsletter, returning to you on Wednesday, July 13th.
- Please take a minute and take CWD's survey on pumps and meters.
- You can make a difference in the life of a child or teen with diabetes by bidding on an item in the Diabetes Scholars Foundation Auction 2011.
- Last week's poll asked readers they have their basal rates, insulin-to-carb ratios, and correction factors written down. This week's poll asks readers if they have sought counseling to help cope with diabetes.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Diabetic Athlete's Handbook by Sheri Colberg, Ph.D.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My son was chosen to be line leader for his class at school. Prior to lunch he always goes down to the nurses office to have his blood sugar checked. When it was time to line up and go to lunch, my son went to the nurses office as usual, only on this day the whole class ended up there too. They all got a good laugh over it.
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you're the only mother at playgroup chasing around your 3-year-old yelling, "If you don't come eat these jellybeans right now, I'll put you in time out!" See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
We were told to keep our toddler's blood sugar in a higher range to promote growth. What blood sugars are safe and normal to help us transition to levels below 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L]?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Lancets and finger prick techniques?
Quilt for Life
- The Quilt for Life now has 726 panels. The Quilt will be shown at Friends for Life: Orlando 2011.
- ADA Conference 2011: The Good, The Bad, and the Errr ... News.
- ADA Conference 2011: Product Updates!
- New "Ultrafast" Insulin Action Could Change the Game.
- Roche Summit 2011: SUM Thoughts.
- Why I Blog: Reflections After the Roche Diabetes Summit.
- Antigen-based therapy with glutamic acid decarboxylase (GAD) vaccine in patients with recent-onset type 1 diabetes: a randomised double-blind trial. See also ADA: Type 1 Diabetes Vaccine Fails to Show Benefit.
- Improvements in the Life Expectancy of Type 1 Diabetes: The Pittsburgh Epidemiology of Diabetes Complications Study. See also Life Expectancy Improves for Type 1 Diabetics.
- Co-stimulation modulation with abatacept in patients with recent-onset type 1 diabetes: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. See also ADA: Biologic Slows Type 1 Diabetes.
- Uncoupling of Proliferation and Cytokines From Suppression Within the CD4+CD25+Foxp3+ T–Cell Compartment in the 1st Year of Human Type 1 Diabetes.
- ADA: FDA Artificial Pancreas Initiative InFocus.
- The Low Glucose Suspend (LGS) Function in Sensor-Augmented Pump Therapy Prevents Hypoglycaemia in Children.
- Feasibility of Continuous Glucose Monitoring in Infants and Toddlers with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Satisfaction with continuous glucose monitoring in adults and youths with Type 1 diabetes.
- Benefits of Renin-Angiotensin Blockade on Retinopathy in Type 1 Diabetes Vary With Glycemic Control.
- Evaluation of a combined blood glucose monitoring and gaming system (Didget®) for motivation in children, adolescents, and young adults with type 1 diabetes.
- Improved Pharmacokinetic and Pharmacodynamic Profile of Rapid-Acting Insulin Using Needle-Free Jet Injection Technology.
- Diversity in diabetes: the role of insulin aspart.
- Optimizing the Replacement of Basal Insulin in Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus: No Longer an Elusive Goal in the Post-NPH Era.
- Hypoglycemia rates with Basal insulin analogs.
- Glycaemic control and incidence of heart failure in 20,985 patients with type 1 diabetes: an observational study.
- Parents of Children Newly Diagnosed With Type 1 Diabetes: Experiences With Social Support and Family Management.
- Onset of type 1 diabetes mellitus in two patients with maturity onset diabetes of the young.
- Type 1 diabetes mellitus and celiac disease: endothelial dysfunction.
- Use of deamidated gliadin Peptide antibodies to monitor diet compliance in childhood celiac disease.
- Daughter's Diagnosis Inspires Local Dad to Open Gluten-Free Bakery.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Life expectancy improves for type 1 diabetics.
- Is BCG a cure for diabetes? The long road to acceptance.
- Research shows promise in reversing Type 1 diabetes.
- Justice Sonia Sotomayor speaks about struggles with Type 1 diabetes; others can relate.
- Actor Kevin Kline advocates for diabetes research.
- Indy racer won't let diabetes keep him off the track.
- Climber now turns to Ironman competition.
- Graduate balances academics, standout swimming and diabetes.
- Camp puts focus on living with diabetes.
- Dog Smells Danger for Diabetics.
- Is Big Pharma Really Trying to Cure Diabetes? We're Seeking Profits and Debunking Myths.
- T1D Exchange Clinical Registry Enrollment Exceeds 12,000.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:41
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2016. Comments and Feedback.