Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Canada 2011 conference, to be held at the Marriott Toronto Downtown Eaton Centre, Toronto, Canada from July 29-31, 2011.
- CWD's Friends for Life UK 2011 conference, to be held at Beaumont House, Old Windsor, Berkshire from October 28-30, 2011, is currently sold out.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology conference, to be held at at the Renaissance Seattle Hotel in Seattle, Washington from November 18-20, 2011.
New This Week
- We report on CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2011 conference.
- Lilly and Disney have teamed up on the Once Upon a Time Contest, to bring a family to Friends for Life Orlando 2012.
- Check out the photos from the LifeScan booth at FFL 2011 -- including Crystal Bowersox.
- Last week's poll asked readers about the financial impact of paying for diabetes supplies. This week's poll asks readers about reusing diabetes products.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Diabetes Burnout: What To Do When You Can't Take It Anymore by William Polonsky.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
We were walking along with some friends. My daughter Corie, age 12, dx at age 2, was wearing her insulin pump on her hip. I was holding hands with a younger child in the group (Cole age 6) who has a little thing for Corie. He saw the pump site. I asked him if he knew what it was. He replied, "Yes, that is where you plug her in for her energy."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your child holds up a box in the grocery store and, when you ask "How much?", the nice bystander says "$2.99" and your child says, "15 carbs for one serving." See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
After two years on Lantus and Apidra, my daughter's blood sugars are usually elevated. Adjusting the Apidra by a unit causes either highs or lows and I am at a loss. Are her insulin doses not commensurate to her needs/weight?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Would you start pumping without pump classes?
Quilt for Life
- The Quilt for Life now has 727 panels.
Advocacy and Fundraising
- The DRI's CURE t-shirts are now on sale.
- The Diabetes Research Institute's Carnival for a Cure California will be held at the San Francisco Zoo on Sunday, September 25, 2011.
Studies and Surveys
- Kids between the ages of 12 and 17 with type 1 diabetes are needed for studies on the artificial pancreas project.
- CWD: Parenting With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Life for a Child + Outrage! Two Talks with IDF.
- Mom at the Helm of the JDRF Children's Congress.
- Prevention of murine autoimmune diabetes by CCL22-mediated Treg recruitment to the pancreatic islets. See also Researchers identify process that prevents type 1 diabetes from progressing.
- Development of Autoantibodies in the TrialNet Natural History Study.
- Generation of pancreatic insulin-producing cells from rhesus monkey induced pluripotent stem cells.
- Association of Urinary Type IV Collagen With GFR Decline in Young Patients With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Protection against Autoimmune Diabetes by Silkworm-Produced GFP-Tagged CTB-Insulin Fusion Protein.
- Lower cardiorespiratory fitness in children with Type 1 diabetes.
- Is There a Difference in Pregnancy and Glycemic Outcome in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes on Insulin Pump with Constant or Intermittent Glucose Monitoring? A Pilot Study.
- Glucose variability in diabetic pregnancy.
- Vitamin E supplementation may ameliorate oxidative stress in type 1 diabetes mellitus patients.
- Potential celiac patients: a model of celiac disease pathogenesis. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats (use link in HTML full text to download PDF).
- Magneto immunosensor for gliadin detection in gluten-free foodstuff: Towards food safety for celiac patients.
- Awareness boosts treatment for celiac disease.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Mum aims to raise awareness of juvenile diabetes.
- San Jose Junior Sharks hockey player doesn't let diabetes stop her.
- DR. PONDER: Principles matter in diabetes self-care as in faith.
- 'I survived the hospital poisoner': Diabetic actor, 23, says he was given deadly saline.
- Chertsey woman banned from driving due to diabetes.
- Once a Spokesperson for Juvenile Diabetes, Erin Now Suffers From Diabulimia.
- Novo Nordisk Partners with Children with Diabetes, Inc. to Help Newly Diagnosed Children with Type 1 Diabetes.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Wednesday August 10, 2011 14:43:18
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2013. Comments and Feedback.