Of Continuing Interest
- CWD's Friends for Life UK 2011 conference, to be held at Beaumont House, Old Windsor, Berkshire from October 28-30, 2011, is currently sold out.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology conference, to be held at the Renaissance Seattle Hotel in Seattle, Washington from November 18-20, 2011.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Family Support Weekend, to be held at the Marriott Harbor Beach Resort & Spa in Fort Lauderdale, Florida from December 30, 2011 - January 1, 2012.
New This Week
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2012 conference, to be held at the Marriott World Center Resort in Orlando, Florida from July 3-8, 2012.
- The American Diabetes Association is looking for the next National Youth Advocate. On-line applications will be accepted between September 1 and October 28, 2011.
- Last week's poll asked parents if they have a 504 plan in place. This week's poll asks parents about who assists their child while at school.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Type 1 Diabetes in Children, Adolescents and Young Adults by Ragnar Hanas, M.D.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My son was at the endo yesterday and the nurse was commenting on his high readings lately. The nurse commented, "It looks like the honeymoon is over." Robbie (age 6) replied, "It can't be, I don't even have a wife yet!"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you clean the lint trap of your clothes dryer and find a bunch of test strips. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
I experienced a low blood sugar within minutes of injecting Lantus and felt close to having a seizure. I consumed a granola bar and 130 grams of juice/soda, then breakfast. Could I have hit a vein?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
We'll decide whether to "grant" the 504
- Join Laura Billetdeaux for a chat about CWD's Friends for Life: UK 2011 conference at 4pm Eastern (9pm UK) on Thursday, September 8th in the Friends for Life UK Chat Room.
- Dr. Bruce King from Australia offers advice for Flying with an Insulin Pump.
Diabetes in School
- CWD's collection of sample 504 plans can help you plan for your child's care at school.
- The 2010 edition of Helping the Student with Diabetes Succeed: A Guide for School Personnel can help parents to ensure that their children receive the best care possible while at school. You can download the full PDF and print or share.
- The ADA's Safe at School program has extensive resources to help families.
- JDRF has information about Type 1 Diabetes in School and Type 1 Diabetes in College.
- Friends For Life: Talking to Children With Diabetes Founder Jeff Hitchcock.
- Where the Islet Cells End.
- I See Blood Sugars.
- Tattoos, Pedi's, and Other Diabetes No-No's.
- The Smart Woman's Guide to Diabetes: A Review of Amy Stockwell Mercer's New Book.
- No association of vitamin D intake or 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels in childhood with risk of islet autoimmunity and type 1 diabetes: the Diabetes Autoimmunity Study in the Young (DAISY).
- The epidemic of type 1 diabetes: what is it telling us?
- 2011 Update: antigen-specific therapy in type 1 diabetes.
- A prevascularized tissue engineering chamber supports growth and function of islets and progenitor cells in diabetic mice.
- Pervasive Sharing of Genetic Effects in Autoimmune Disease. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats (PDF link on HTML full text page).
- High levels of oxidized LDL in circulating immune complexes are associated with increased odds of developing abnormal albuminuria in Type 1 diabetes.
- Lung functions in poorly controlled type 1 Saudi diabetic children and adolescents.
- UF expert: In the quest to cure Type 1 diabetes, scientists must develop better research standards.
- Does Blood Glucose Monitoring Increase Prior to Clinic Visits in Children With Type 1 Diabetes?
- The effectiveness of Internet-based blood glucose monitoring system on improving diabetes control in adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Behaviour and metabolic control in children with Type 1 diabetes mellitus on insulin pump therapy: 2-year follow-up.
- Metformin Helped My Type 1 Diabetes.
- Family Interaction in Pediatric Diabetes.
- Celiac Disease Screening Assays for Children Younger than 3 Years of Age: The Performance of Three Serological Tests.
- Longitudinal Evaluation of Bone Mineral Density and Body Composition in Patients With Positive Celiac Serology.
- Immunogenicity of two oat varieties, in relation to their safety for celiac patients.
- The last two millennias echo-catastrophes are the driving forces for the potential genetic advantage mechanisms in celiac disease.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Great News for People With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Trial of xenotransplantation treatment for diabetes kicks off in Argentina.
- St. Charles family learns to cope with boy's diabetes.
- Cycling's Team Type 1 inspires diabetics.
- The Chicago Bears' Jay Cutler Raises Money for Youth Diabetes Awareness.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:42
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2016. Comments and Feedback.