Of Continuing Interest
- CWD's Friends for Life UK 2011 conference, to be held at Beaumont House, Old Windsor, Berkshire from October 28-30, 2011, is currently sold out.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology conference, to be held at the Renaissance Seattle Hotel in Seattle, Washington from November 18-20, 2011.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Family Support Weekend, to be held at the Marriott Harbor Beach Resort & Spa in Fort Lauderdale, Florida from December 30, 2011 - January 1, 2012.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2012 conference, to be held at the Marriott World Center Resort in Orlando, Florida from July 3-8, 2012.
Other Stories of Continuing Interest
- The American Diabetes Association is looking for the next National Youth Advocate. On-line applications will be accepted between September 1 and October 28, 2011.
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked readers about their insulin regimen. This week's poll asks readers about what they feel is most important in a glucose meter.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Why Me? Why Did I Have To Get Diabetes? by Robert Messinger and Laura Messinger.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
Last night, I grilled up a couple Porterhouse Steaks. Since Nicky loves steak, he asked for a small piece. So we asked him if he wanted to dip it in a little sauce (Peter Luger Sauce or A1, etc.), and said "Yes, I want to dip it in A1c sauce!"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your daughter asks, "Can I get some ketchup to go with my test strips?" instead of her chicken strips. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Diagnosed in 2004, my daughter is small compared to her peers. Why would she not be keeping up with them in growth?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Pharmacist irritated me!
- Diabetes In Children And Adolescents: Basic Training Manual For Healthcare Professionals In Developing Countries in an exceptional resource. Power Point Presentations of the material are also available.
Diabetes in School
- Students with Diabetes announces new chapters throughout the US.
- Is It Really Just a Number?
- Talking to the FDA.
- Climbing With Diabetes: An Interview with Living Vertical's Steve Richert.
- Who is the Largest Single Funder of Diabetes Research in the U.S.?
- JDRF Type 1 Diabetes 101 offers a good introduction to type 1 diabetes.
- CDE Needed in Springfield, MO.
- Long-Term Metabolic and Immunological Follow-Up of Nonimmunosuppressed Patients With Type 1 Diabetes Treated With Microencapsulated Islet Allografts.
- Interaction of enterovirus infection and Cow's milk-based formula nutrition in type 1 diabetes-associated autoimmunity.
- EASD: Closed-loop System on Par With Open-loop for Glucose Control.
- C-peptide in the classification of diabetes in children and adolescents.
- Recurrence of autoimmunity in pancreas transplant patients: research update.
- Acute Hypoglycemia Decreases Myocardial Blood Flow Reserve in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus and in Healthy Humans.
- Healthy first degree relatives of patients with type 1 diabetes exhibit significant differences in basal gene expression pattern of immunocompetent cells compared to controls: expression pattern as predeterminant of autoimmune diabetes.
- Pancreatitis, Pancreatic, and Thyroid Cancer With Glucagon-Like Peptide-1–Based Therapies. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats. See also Two diabetes drugs possibly linked to pancreatitis, cancer, UPDATE: Research linking two diabetes drugs to cancer spawns debate, and Who Defends Those Lilly & Novo Nordisk Diabetes Meds?
- Sensor-Augmented Pump Therapy for A1C Reduction (STAR 3) Study: Results from the 6-month continuation phase.
- Cost-Effectiveness of Continuous Glucose Monitoring and Intensive Insulin Therapy for Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Reducing Rates of Severe Hypoglycemia in a Population-Based Cohort of Children and Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes Over the Decade 2000–2009.
- Patient experience of hypoglycaemia unawareness in Type 1 diabetes: are patients appropriately concerned?.
- Effect of sitagliptin on glucose control in adult patients with Type 1 diabetes: a pilot, double-blind, randomized, crossover trial.
- The potential of incretin-based therapies in type 1 diabetes.
- Metabolic regulation during constant moderate physical exertion in extreme conditions in Type 1 diabetes.
- Long-lasting immunogenicity and safety of a 2009 pandemic influenza A(H1N1) MF59-adjuvanted vaccine when co-administered with a 2009-2010 seasonal influenza vaccine in young patients with Type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Opioid Receptor Blockade Improves Hypoglycemia-Associated Autonomic Failure in Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Complementary and alternative medicine in children with type 1 diabetes mellitus. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- FDA Conducting Safety Review Of Anti-Nausea Drug Zofran.
- Oral ecosystem alterations in celiac children: A follow-up study.
- Gluten-free students take a stand.
- Gluten-free is far from free.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Miss America 1999 gives tips on living well with illness.
- Swimmers with Diabetes Cross English Channel.
- My Guardian Angel Against Low Blood Sugar.
- Birth and Beyond - More Than Just a Number: Early Pregnancy With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Parents call for better policies to protect diabetic students at school.
- VUCast: Future Diabetes Vaccine?
- North Vancouver family finds new 'normal'.
- L-P goalie Galetti playing sports despite diabetes.
- Your Health: Lubbock girl uses diabetes to teach and inspire.
- Can baby teeth provide a future cure?
- Cellnovo Receives CE Mark Approval for World's First Mobile Diabetes Management System.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:42
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2017. Comments and Feedback.