Of Continuing Interest
- CWD's Friends for Life UK 2011 conference, to be held at Beaumont House, Old Windsor, Berkshire from October 28-30, 2011, is currently sold out.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology conference, to be held at the Renaissance Seattle Hotel in Seattle, Washington from November 18-20, 2011.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Family Support Weekend, to be held at the Marriott Harbor Beach Resort & Spa in Fort Lauderdale, Florida from December 30, 2011 - January 1, 2012.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2012 conference, to be held at the Marriott World Center Resort in Orlando, Florida from July 3-8, 2012.
Other Stories of Continuing Interest
- The American Diabetes Association is looking for the next National Youth Advocate. On-line applications will be accepted between September 1 and October 28, 2011.
New This Week
- Insulindependence is seeking 22 kids and teens with type 1 diabetes from across the United States to participate in their Junior Captains program.
- The Diabetes Resource offers a list of over 13,000 diabetes resources.
- Be sure to check out the Torchbearers section of ACCU-CHEK's Diabetes Heroes site.
- Last week's poll asked readers about their plans for continuous sensing. This week's poll asks readers if the current economic problems are impacting their ability to pay for diabetes care and supplies.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Lara Takes Charge by Rocky Lang and Sally Huss.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
On his first appointment after being diagnosed, the nurse was discussing injection sites with our son. "Where do you get your shots?" she asked, meaning, arm, hip, etc. "It all depends," our then 5-year-old explained. "Sometimes in the kitchen, sometimes in the bathroom!"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you find used infusion sets tied to the furniture as toys for the new kitten. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My teen daughter has been pumping Humalog for five years. She has developed lipoatrophy at injection sites in several areas. She does rotate sites. What do you advise?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
My son asked me a question that brought me to tears
- Diagnosing new-onset diabetes in children and teens.
Advocacy and Fundraising
- JDRF seeks signatures on Artificial Pancreas Petition.
Studies and Surveys
- Study investigating artificial Pancreas device using an automated insulin delivery system being used with medication targeting after meal high sugars is recruiting patients at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University in New York.
- Lung Disease Drug May Stop Progression of Type 1 Diabetes.
- Halloween, Diabetes, and Wabbits.
- Late Diagnosis with Type 1 Diabetes and Still a Rippin' Paddleboard Surfer.
- Automatic Learning Algorithm for the MD-Logic Artificial Pancreas System.
- Reduced Prevalence of Diabetes Ketoacidosis at Diagnosis of Type 1 Diabetes in Young Children Participating in Longitudinal Follow-Up.
- Reclassification of diabetes type in pediatric patients initially classified as type 2 diabetes mellitus: 15 years follow-up using routine data from the German/Austrian DPV database.
- Three-year comparison of subcutaneous insulin pump treatment with multi-daily injections on HbA1c, its variability and hospital burden of children with type 1 diabetes.
- EASD: Meta-Analysis Confirms Value of CGM in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Improving the Estimation of Mealtime Insulin Dose in Adults With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Changes in nutritional state, metabolic control and treatment of type 1 diabetes in the last 20 years. Free Spanish-language full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Metformin in adolescents and adults with type 1 diabetes mellitus: not evidence-based.
- Evaluating the cost-effectiveness of reduced mild hypoglycaemia in subjects with Type 1 diabetes treated with Insulin detemir or NPH insulin in Denmark, Sweden, Finland and the Netherlands.
- Early markers of glycaemic control in children with type 1 diabetes mellitus. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats (PDF link on full text page).
- Identification of rothia bacteria as gluten-degrading natural colonizers of the upper gastro-intestinal tract. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats (PDF link on full text page).
- Suppression of inflammatory immune responses in celiac disease by experimental hookworm infection. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats (PDF link on full text page).
- Vaccination and celiac disease: results of a retrospective study.
- 4 Gluten-Free Beer Alternatives For The Swilling Celiac Sufferer.
- Going gluten-free.
Legal and Legislative
- Diabetic teacher fights for service dog on the job.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Diabetics call the four-legged alarm system a godsend.
- Diabetes alert dog banned from class.
- Fabio Calabria riding for a cause.
- My Greatest Diabetes Fear.
- DR. PONDER: Exercise self-care with alcohol as a diabetic.
- NIDDK Offers $15M for Type 1 Diabetes Genes Studies.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Wednesday October 05, 2011 15:23:30
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2013. Comments and Feedback.