Of Continuing Interest
- CWD's Friends for Life UK 2011 conference, to be held at Beaumont House, Old Windsor, Berkshire from October 28-30, 2011, is currently sold out.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology conference, to be held at the Renaissance Seattle Hotel in Seattle, Washington from November 18-20, 2011.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Family Support Weekend, to be held at the Marriott Harbor Beach Resort & Spa in Fort Lauderdale, Florida from December 30, 2011 - January 1, 2012.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2012 conference, to be held at the Marriott World Center Resort in Orlando, Florida from July 3-8, 2012.
Other Stories of Continuing Interest
- The American Diabetes Association is looking for the next National Youth Advocate. On-line applications will be accepted between September 1 and October 28, 2011.
- Insulindependence is seeking 22 kids and teens with type 1 diabetes from across the United States to participate in their Junior Captains program.
- Be sure to check out the Torchbearers section of ACCU-CHEK's Diabetes Heroes site.
New This Week
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology conference, to be held at the Philadelphia Marriott West in West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania from February 25-26, 2012.
- Last week's poll asked readers if the current economic problems are impacting their ability to pay for diabetes care and supplies. This week's poll asks readers how often they change their lancet.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Diabetes Rising: How a Rare Disease Became a Modern Pandemic, and What to Do About It by Dan Hurley.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
We recently moved to a new home with pool. I was getting ready to take my non-diabetic 3 year old swimming. She was waiting patiently on the deck while I checked the chlorine level with a pool test-strip. She watches me read the strip and then says, "Can we swim mommy or does the pool have ketones?"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you ask your child what they had for lunch and they reply 45 carbs! See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My son has tested negative for antibodies four times. Should he have MODY testing? He has been on an OmniPod since April and needs very high doses of insulin. Is this related to puberty?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
How do you count carbs?
Advocacy and Fundraising
- JDRF seeks signatures on Artificial Pancreas Petition.
Studies and Surveys
- Study investigating artificial Pancreas device using an automated insulin delivery system being used with medication targeting after meal high sugars is recruiting patients at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University in New York.
- Diabetes and Stem Cell Research: A Report From The World Stem Cell Summit.
- Glucose Tabs Go Organic (Yet Flavorful).
- The Woman Who Raised Diabetes Hero Phil Southerland.
Products, Services and Books
- Finalists announced in Sanofi-Aventis-sponsored Data Design Diabetes Challenge.
- U-100, pH-Neutral Formulation of VIAject(®) : Faster Onset of Action than Insulin Lispro in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Exposure to the Viral By-Product dsRNA or Coxsackievirus B5 Triggers Pancreatic Beta Cell Apoptosis via a Bim / Mcl-1 Imbalance. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Circulating Endothelial Progenitor Cells and Large Artery Structure And Function In Young Subjects With Uncomplicated Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Sensitization to Gliadin Induces Moderate Enteropathy and Insulitis in Nonobese Diabetic-DQ8 Mice.
- Neonatal jaundice is associated with a small increase in the risk of childhood type 1 diabetes: a meta-analysis of observational studies.
- Health economic evaluations comparing insulin glargine with NPH insulin in patients with type 1 diabetes: a systematic review. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Poor numeracy skills are associated with glycaemic control in Type 1 diabetes.
- Using mobile phones to measure adolescent diabetes adherence.
- Smoking and other factors associated with short-term partial remission of Type 1 diabetes in adults.
- Association of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder and celiac disease: a brief report. Free full text available in HTML format.
- Vitamin D and K status influences bone mineral density and bone accrual in children and adolescents with celiac disease.
- Alvine Pharmaceuticals Announces Positive Results from Phase 2a Trial of ALV003 in Celiac Disease Patients.
- Food Banks Struggle to Keep Gluten-Free Items in Stock.
- For some, a common protein is toxic.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- IndyCar driver doesn't let diabetes keep him out of race.
- Life's sweet despite tough road for diabetes.
- E.B. dentist to use Halloween candy to benefit soldiers, fight diabetes.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday October 13, 2011 16:13:09
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2013. Comments and Feedback.