Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Family Support Weekend, to be held at the Marriott Harbor Beach Resort & Spa in Fort Lauderdale, Florida from December 30, 2011 - January 1, 2012.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology conference, to be held at the Philadelphia Marriott West in West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania from February 25-26, 2012. Family Scholarships are available from the Diabetes Scholars Foundation.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2012 conference, to be held at the Marriott World Center Resort in Orlando, Florida from July 3-8, 2012.
New This Week
- John W. Griffin, Jr. receives ADA's Charles H. Best Medal for Service. CWD has been honored to have John Griffin as faculty at many recent Friends for Life conferences, and congratulates him on this well-deserved recognition.
- Last week's poll asked readers about how much time they spend on diabetes care each day. This week's poll asks readers if they commemorate their diagnosis date.
- The Featured Book of the Week is The ABCs of Loving Yourself with Diabetes by Riva Greenberg.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
I was sending my son a text this morning – he has a stomach bug and low ketones – and my note was "remember, fluids and insulin will make the ketones go away." It autocorrected to "fluids and insulin will make the kittens go away."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when the toilet is stuffed, you call the plumber, he snakes the bowl, and at the end of his snake is a piece of blue plastic that just happens to match the blue plastic cover of your son's inset infusion set. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My son has been lying about his blood sugars, not checking, not bolusing properly, etc. What should I do to get him back on track?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Holiday tips and carb counts
- The Gift of Hope: Treating Type 1 Diabetes With New Islet Cells.
- Can't Remember If You Took That Shot? Timesulin to the Rescue!
- Low Blood Sugar: Describing the Indescribable.
- January is TUITION FREE at Type 1 University.
- Richard Vaughn was diagnosed in 1945 at the age of six.
- How To Eat Dinner With a Diabetic.
Products, Services and Books
- Diabetes Health Magazine has published its 9th Annual Product Reference Guide.
- Long-Lasting Immune Responses 4 Years after GAD-Alum Treatment in Children with Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Striated muscle as implantation site for transplanted pancreatic islets. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Glucagon in the Pathogenesis of Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia in Diabetes.
- The D-Lightful Vitamin D for Child Health.
- Assessing fear of hypoglycemia in children with Type 1 diabetes and their parents.
- Socioeconomic factors, rather than diabetes mellitus per se, contribute to an excessive use of antidepressants among young adults with childhood onset type 1 diabetes mellitus: a register-based study.
- Spontaneous Normalization of Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase Antibody Levels Is Common in Children with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Gut microbiota and pediatric disease.
- Clinical benefit of gluten-free diet in screen-detected older celiac disease patients. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Tips for gluten-free cookies.
Legal and Legislative
- DR. PONDER: Economy, health policy impact diabetics.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Parents get insulin-pump tattoos to support diabetic son.
- Sprinter with diabetes chosen to be Olympic torchbearer.
- Diabetes Technology Regulates Blood Sugar Levels; Local Family Hopes FDA Approves Artificial Pancreas.
- Spartans senior battles busy life, diabetes.
- Family survives quite the Christmas adventure.
- Helping a Son Cope With Diabetes, While Juggling Her Own Challenges.
- High-Tech Pump Helps Three Type 1s Swim the English Channel.
- Standing Up For Sugar, the Hypoglycemia Alert Dog.
- Driving Isn't An Issue for Most People With Diabetes.
- Driving licence form revamp for people with diabetes.
- Suspended sentence for triple-fatality driver; Diabetic shock cited as likely cause of collisions that killed 3.
- Ultradian Diagnostics Partners With UAlbany NanoCollege to Ramp Up Research and Pilot Prototyping. See also Making good ideas better.
- 24,000 diabetes deaths a year 'could be avoided' in UK.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Wednesday December 21, 2011 14:14:52
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2014. Comments and Feedback.