Of Continuing Interest
- CWD's Focus on Technology conference, to be held at the Philadelphia Marriott West in West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania from February 25-26, 2012. is sold out.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2012 conference, to be held at the Marriott World Center Resort in Orlando, Florida from July 3-8, 2012. Family Scholarships and Young Adult Scholarships are available from the Diabetes Scholars Foundation.
- Scholarships are available for CWD's Friends for Life UK 2012 conference.
Other Stories of Continuing Interest
- Applications for the 2012 Diabetes Scholars Foundation college scholarships are now available.
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked readers about which insulin pump they use. This week's poll asks readers who use an insulin pump how often they change their infusion set.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Type 1 Diabetes in Children, Adolescents and Young Adults by Ragnar Hanas, M.D.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
We were walking along with some friends. My daughter Corie, age 12, dx at age 2, was wearing her insulin pump on her hip. I was holding hands with a younger child in the group (Cole age 6) who has a little thing for Corie. He saw the pump site. I asked him if he knew what it was. He replied, "Yes, that is where you plug her in for her energy."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you wake in the middle of the night unable to sleep, roll over and gaze at your hunky husband just as the inevitable thought crosses your mind--better go take a quick blood sugar check. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Because of medical neglect by her family, a child has been placed in my care. She has very poor eating habits and has been in DKA several times. How can I get her to change her habits, take better care of herself?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Any advice for flying and beach days on the pump?
- The 2012 JDRF Type 1 Diabetes Research Summit will be held on Saturday, February 18, 2012, at the Bethesda North Marriott Hotel & Conference Center in Bethesda, Maryland. Admission is free, but registration is required.
- The Students with Diabetes National Conference will be held from June 1-3, 2012 at the University of South Florida in Tampa. The registration form is online.
Studies and Surveys
- The Juvenile Diabetes Cure Alliance seeks your input on a brief survey.
- Dexcom, Revisited.
- Valentine's Day with Diabetes: A Poem for my Panc.
- What I've Learned from my Diabetes.
- Convenient Blood Sugar Testing: The Mendor All-In-One Glucose Meter.
Products, Services and Books
- Help With The Hard Stuff is an excellent workbook to help teens with type 1 and their parents work better as a team.
- Glooko turns your iPhone into a glucose log book.
- Genetics of type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Virus infections in type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- CD8+ T-Cell Deficiency, Epstein-Barr Virus Infection, Vitamin D Deficiency, and Steps to Autoimmunity: A Unifying Hypothesis. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Could the social environment trigger the induction of diabetes related autoantibodies in young children?
- Infant and Toddler Type 1 Diabetes: Complications after 20 years’ duration.
- Reversal of diabetes by beta-TC3 cells encapsulated in alginate beads generated by emulsion and internal gelation.
- Hypoglycemia, but not Glucose Variability, Relates to Vascular Function in Children with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Hyperfiltration in type 1 diabetes: does it exist and does it matter for nephropathy?
- The branching pattern of villous capillaries and structural changes of placental terminal villi in type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Long-Term (5 Years) Efficacy and Safety of Pancreas Transplantation Alone in Type 1 Diabetic Patients.
- Reduction in Duration of Hypoglycemia by Automatic Suspension of Insulin Delivery: The In-Clinic ASPIRE Study. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Achievement of Target A1C Levels With Negligible Hypoglycemia and Low Glucose Variability in Youth With Short-Term Type 1 Diabetes and Residual beta-Cell Function.
- Hypoglycaemia during pregnancy in women with Type 1 diabetes.
- Vitamin D status and insulin requirements in children and adolescent with type 1 diabetes.
- Discrepancies Between Reported Self-Monitored Blood Glucose Results and Point-of-Care Hemoglobin A1c in Children with Diabetes: Lessons to Be Learned.
- Efect (sic) of periodontal disease and non surgical periodontal treatment on c-reactive protein. Evaluation of type 1 diabetic patients. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Spectrum of gluten-related disorders: consensus on new nomenclature and classification. Free full text available in PDF format.
- The gluten-free gourmet.
- Left untreated, celiac disease can result in serious complications.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Sam Talbot's "Sweet Life" with Diabetes.
- Swimmers advance from sectionals to district meet.
- Young Children with Diabetes, Their Doctors Speak Out.
- Against All Odds; Ryan Reed, Race Car Driver With Type 1 Diabetes, Prepares For Historic Debut At Daytona With Venturini Motorsports.
- 'Belly bottom': A graphic warning of what happens when diabetics inject insulin at the same site every day.
- Houston-Area Family Gains Diabetic Alert Dog.
- Smartphone monitoring system puts diabetics, parents at ease.
- Cellnovo Launches World’s First Mobile-connected Diabetes Management System With Largest Ever Usability Trial Of Insulin Pump Technology (PDF).
- Telcare Unveils New "MyTelcare Diabetes Pal" iPhone App. See the Telecare web site or the iTunes store for more information.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:43
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2015. Comments and Feedback.