Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2012 conference, to be held at the Marriott World Center Resort in Orlando, Florida from July 3-8, 2012. Family Scholarships and Young Adult Scholarships are available from the Diabetes Scholars Foundation. Special guests at Friends for Life 2012 include Crystal Bowersox, Jay Hewitt, Charlie Kimball, Kendall Simmons, Phil Southerland, Sebastien Sasseville, and Missy Foy.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Canada: Vancouver 2012 conference, to be held from August 24-26, 2012 at the Renaissance Vancouver Hotel Harbourside in Vancouver, BC, Canada.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Sugar Land 2012 conference, to be held from October 12-14, 2012 at the Sugar Land Marriott Town Square in Sugar Land, Texas.
- Scholarships are available for CWD's Friends for Life UK 2012 conference.
Other Stories of Continuing Interest
- The Diabetes Scholars Foundation is holding a Howl at the Moon fundraiser on Saturday July 7, 2012, 7:00 pm during CWD's Friends for Life Orlando 2012 conference. Your financial support will help the Diabetes Scholars Foundation to provide scholarships to CWD's conferences and college scholarships to incoming freshmen.
- Applications for the 2012 Diabetes Scholars Foundation college scholarships are now available.
New This Week
- Glu (myglu.org) is a new online community for people impacted by type 1 diabetes to meet, share, and learn from each other. Glu is part of the T1D Exchange whose overall mission is to improve the quality of life for people with type 1 diabetes by empowering them to engage with researchers, clinicians, and industry. Glu is free to join and currently in a functional closed beta with over 700+ members - the more users we have, the better we can test the functionality prior to our full launch later this year and we'd love to reach 1,000 by end of April, so please join us. To quickly get your invite code please email "myglu1" to .
- Last week's poll asked readers what they think is the hardest part of living with diabetes. This week's poll asks readers how they chose the blood glucose meter that they use most often.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Breakthrough: Elizabeth Hughes, the Discovery of Insulin, and the Making of a Medical Miracle by Thea Cooper and Arthur Ainsberg.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
Our son Nicholas, age six, was diagnosed on November 12, 1999 when he was four years old. He has been absolutely wonderful about dealing with his diabetes--NOTHING stops this child. He started pumping on November 9, 2001. We went to his Endo appointment this past Wednesday. Before we left we were sitting in the living room and he looks at me and says, "Mom what does cure mean?" I explained that it means when scientists and doctors find out how to stop a disease or problem and then it's gone forever. He looks at me with this silly expression on his face and says, "Well do you think that you can tell Dr. Yaw to speed things up a little?"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you clean the lint trap of your clothes dryer and find a bunch of test strips. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
I will be on steroids for at least six months due to pertussis. My A1c has always been under 7.1 and I am wondering about the effects of the steroids. Will I be more prone to DKA?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Pain During Pump Bolus?
- You can read the transcript of the first chat about Friends for Life 2012.
- Families in Auburn are invited to join former NFL player Kendall Simmons at Swing 4 Diabetes, a fundraising golf event to be held on June 11, 2012 at the Moores Mill Golf Course in Auburn, Alabama.
- An Interview with Christina Roth, Founder of the College Diabetes Network.
- The T1D Exchange is looking or a community manager.
Products, Services and Books
- Think Like a Pancreas is newly updated.
- I Have Diabetes is a new children's book for newly diagnosed youngsters.
- Like Medtronic Diabetes on Facebook and be entered to win a VIP trip for two to Los Angeles. The trip will include a four-night, three-day stay in LA with the opportunity to experience Disneyland, Universal Studios Hollywood, or a day at Dodgers Stadium. In addition, the winners will get a personalized guided tour of the Medtronic Diabetes facility and lunch with Medtronic Executives. For Medtronic customers only.
- Potent Induction Immunotherapy Promotes Long-Term Insulin Independence After Islet Transplantation in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Human Insulin Secreted From Insulinogenic Xenograft Restores Normoglycemia in Type I Diabetic Mice without Immunosuppression.
- An Actor-Critic based controller for glucose regulation in type 1 diabetes.
- Birth weight in newborn infants with different diabetes-associated HLA genotypes in three neighboring countries: Finland, Estonia and Russian Karelia.
- Infection as a cause of type 1 diabetes?
- High-density lipoprotein subspecies between patients with type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes without / with intensive insulin therapy.
- Sensor augmented pump therapy from onset of type 1 diabetes: late follow-up results of the Pediatric Onset Study.
- Cigarette smoking among adolescents with type 1 diabetes: Strategies for behavioral prevention and intervention.
- High Concentrations of AGE-LDL and Oxidized LDL in Circulating Immune Complexes Are Associated With Progression of Retinopathy in Type 1 Diabetes .
- Celiac disease: Management of persistent symptoms in patients on a gluten-free diet. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Dietary exposure to fumonisins and evaluation of nutrient intake in a group of adult celiac patients on a gluten-free diet. See also mycotoxin in Wikipedia.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- To Love a Diabetic.
- Program helps keep diabetic teen drivers safe.
- Great-grandfather dedicates diabetes medal to late wife.
- Former sailor from Eriskay in oldest bungee jump claim.
- Cumbrian diabetic of 50 years backs more research campaign.
- Refugio Girl With Diabetes Receives Service Dog.
- Diabetes dog detects low Glucose levels.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday April 19, 2012 11:16:32
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2014. Comments and Feedback.