Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2012 conference, to be held at the Marriott World Center Resort in Orlando, Florida from July 3-8, 2012. Family Scholarships and Young Adult Scholarships are available from the Diabetes Scholars Foundation. Special guests at Friends for Life 2012 include Crystal Bowersox, Jay Hewitt, Charlie Kimball, Kendall Simmons, Phil Southerland, Sebastien Sasseville, and Missy Foy.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Canada: Vancouver 2012 conference, to be held from August 24-26, 2012 at the Renaissance Vancouver Hotel Harbourside in Vancouver, BC, Canada.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Sugar Land 2012 conference, to be held from October 12-14, 2012 at the Sugar Land Marriott Town Square in Sugar Land, Texas.
- Scholarships are available for CWD's Friends for Life UK 2012 conference.
Other Stories of Continuing Interest
- The Diabetes Scholars Foundation is holding a Howl at the Moon fundraiser on Saturday July 7, 2012, 7:00 pm during CWD's Friends for Life Orlando 2012 conference. Your financial support will help the Diabetes Scholars Foundation to provide scholarships to CWD's conferences and college scholarships to incoming freshmen.
- Applications for the 2012 Diabetes Scholars Foundation college scholarships are now available.
- Glu (myglu.org) is a new online community for people impacted by type 1 diabetes to meet, share, and learn from each other. Glu is part of the T1D Exchange whose overall mission is to improve the quality of life for people with type 1 diabetes by empowering them to engage with researchers, clinicians, and industry. Glu is free to join and currently in a functional closed beta with over 700+ members - the more users we have, the better we can test the functionality prior to our full launch later this year and we'd love to reach 1,000 by end of April, so please join us. To quickly get your invite code please email "myglu1" to .
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked readers how they chose the blood glucose meter that they use most often. This week's poll asks readers about retinal photography.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner, MS, CDE.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
I overheard the cutest thing while we were at a diabetes walk. Emily was walking in front of me with my 6 year old nephew. I was listening to them talk. He said to her, "Em, why are we walking around this place anyway?" I heard her tell him, "We are walking to find a cure for diabetes." My nephew said, "Well, where am I supposed to be looking for it?" I could have died laughing.
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when, in a last ditch effort to get the carbs in, you consider a cupcake to be a food group. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Since January, my young adult daughter has been bedridden with pain following DKA in December. She also had Lyme disease, DKA again and ongoing pain. What do you suggest to help with her pain and get her back to normal?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Who here unhooks while running/doing sports?
Studies and Surveys
- Family members between the ages of 4 and 30 living in Australia are needed to test a vaccine to prevent type 1 diabetes.
- Guest Post: Parenting Passions.
- Gassing Up.
- MySentry — A New Category of Diabetes Device.
- Medtronic Trial: Minimed Enlite Sensor ROCKS! So Tiny and Comfortable!
- Medtronic Trial: Bayer Contour Next LINK Investigational Meter .
- Punishing the ‘Hungary’ Diabetics.
- The T1D Exchange is looking or a community manager.
- The Helmsley Charitable Trust has openings for Type 1 Diabetes Deputy Program Director and Type 1 Diabetes Technical Program Associate. These are incredible opportunities to work for an organization that is having significant impact in the world of type 1 diabetes.
Products, Services and Books
- Like Medtronic Diabetes on Facebook and be entered to win a VIP trip for two to Los Angeles. The trip will include a four-night, three-day stay in LA with the opportunity to experience Disneyland, Universal Studios Hollywood, or a day at Dodgers Stadium. In addition, the winners will get a personalized guided tour of the Medtronic Diabetes facility and lunch with Medtronic Executives.
- Xenografted Islet Cell Clusters From INSLEA29Y Transgenic Pigs Rescue Diabetes and Prevent Immune Rejection in Humanized Mice.
- Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation for curing children with severe autoimmune diseases: Is this a valid option? (See also hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in Wikipedia.)
- Motherhood, Apple Pie, HbA1c, and the DCCT. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Influence of Time Point of Calibration on Accuracy of Continuous Glucose Monitoring in Individuals with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Insulin degludec, an ultra-longacting basal insulin, versus insulin glargine in basal-bolus treatment with mealtime insulin aspart in type 1 diabetes (BEGIN Basal-Bolus Type 1): a phase 3, randomised, open-label, treat-to-target non-inferiority trial. See also Two phase 3 studies on ultra-long-acting insulin degludec published today in The Lancet.
- Retrospective comparative analysis of metabolic control and early complications in familial and sporadic type 1 diabetes patients.
- Metabolic dysfunction in late-puberty adolescent girls with type 1 diabetes: Relationship to physical activity and dietary intakes.
- Frequent insulin dosage adjustments based on glucose readings alone are sufficient for a safe and effective therapy.
- Emotional Processing and Self-Control in Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes.
- The sourdough fermentation may enhance the recovery from intestinal inflammation of coeliac patients at the early stage of the gluten-free diet.
- The Best Gluten-Free Breads: Our Taste Test Results.
- The Details on 'Gluten-Free' Labeling.
Legal and Legislative
- New bill provides diabetes care in schools.
- Governor signs Rep. Ramsey's school diabetes treatment law.
- Gloucestershire student raises awareness for diabetes.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- My 5th Grader Was Groped By TSA.
- When It Comes To A1C Blood Test For Diabetics, One Level No Longer Fits All.
- Seizing each day: Local mom establishes non-profit to support families with Type 1 diabetes.
- Draft Dreams: One-handed Diabetic Overcomes, Hopes for NFL Shot.
- Young diabetic is force behind annual car wash.
- Vaccine trial volunteers get a spray.
- First-grader to get diabetic alert dog.
- Quake helps Jake keep diabetes at bay.
- Thomasville Family Saving Up for Diabetes Alert Dog.
- Family of tragic Halsall teen who died from undiagnosed Type 1 diabetes take awareness campaign to Downing Street.
- JDRF Announces Research Collaboration with Dexcom, Inc. to Develop "Smart Transmitter" Technology to Accelerate Artificial Pancreas Studies.
- Country Music Star Teams up with Animas Corporation and four "Diabetes Heroes" on a Cross-Country Tour to Inspire Children and Adults Living with Type 1 Diabetes.
- U.S. FDA Clears Bayer HealthCare's CONTOUR® Next EZ Blood Glucose Monitoring System.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:44
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2017. Comments and Feedback.