Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2012 conference, to be held at the Marriott World Center Resort in Orlando, Florida from July 3-8, 2012. Family Scholarships and Young Adult Scholarships are available from the Diabetes Scholars Foundation. Special guests at Friends for Life 2012 include Crystal Bowersox, Jay Hewitt, Charlie Kimball, Kendall Simmons, Phil Southerland, Sebastien Sasseville, Missy Foy, and Mike Fisher.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Canada: Vancouver 2012 conference, to be held from August 24-26, 2012 at the Renaissance Vancouver Hotel Harbourside in Vancouver, BC, Canada.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Sugar Land 2012 conference, to be held from October 12-14, 2012 at the Sugar Land Marriott Town Square in Sugar Land, Texas.
- Scholarships are available for CWD's Friends for Life UK 2012 conference.
Other Stories of Continuing Interest
- The Diabetes Scholars Foundation is holding a Howl at the Moon fundraiser on Saturday July 7, 2012, 7:00 pm during CWD's Friends for Life Orlando 2012 conference. Your financial support will help the Diabetes Scholars Foundation to provide scholarships to CWD's conferences and college scholarships to incoming freshmen.
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked readers to describe themselves. This week's poll asks readers if they have their most recent basal rates, insulin-to-carb ratios, and correction factors written down.
- The Featured Book of the Week is The Smart Woman's Guide to Diabetes by Amy Stockwell Mercer.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
I received a little reminder of my daughter away at college: One rainy morning I grabbed a different umbrella on my way to work. As I released the fastener in preparation for opening it in the parking garage elevator, three test strips fell on the floor.
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you're the only mother at playgroup chasing around your 3-year-old yelling, "If you don't come eat these jellybeans right now, I'll put you in time out!" See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Recently diagnosed, my daughter has been locking herself in her room and making a mess when she does not get her way. How can I discipline her without causing stress induced hypoglycemia?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Glucagon ... a reminder for us all.
Quilt for Life
- The Quilt for Life now has 735 panels. The next showing of the Quilt is at CWD's Friends for Life Orlando 2012 conference.
General Diabetes Information
- Dr. Fran Cogen, pediatric endocrinologist at Children's National Medical Center in Washington, DC, shares her thoughts on diabetes care and more at HealthCentral.com.
- From “Dada” to “Father of the Bride”.
- Friends for Life: Part 2.
- T1D Exchange Finds People with Type 1 Diabetes Don't Meet Targets.
- Complications: In this way, they are there from Day One.
- Help Duane Reade Give $100,000.
- Losing your mind! Or maybe just your CGMS sensor.
- The American Diabetes Association has an opening for the position of Director, Legal Advocacy.
- Latent autoimmune diabetes of adults: From oral hypoglycemic agents to early insulin. Free full text available in HTML format.
- Hyperglycemia Increases Muscle Blood Flow and Alters Endothelial Function in Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Use of class I and class II HLA loci for predicting age at onset of type 1 diabetes in multiple populations.
- Soluble CD40L in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes: relation to microvascular complications and glycemic control.
- A Prototype of a New Noninvasive Device to Detect Nocturnal Hypoglycemia in Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes-A Pilot Study.
- Sensor-Augmented Pump Therapy in Very Young Children with Type 1 Diabetes: An Efficacy and Feasibility Observational Study.
- Health Care Transition in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes; Young adult experiences and relationship to glycemic control.
- Type 1 diabetes: Dealing with physical activity.
- Prevalence of depression among young people with Type 1 diabetes: a systematic review.
- Early Loss of the Glucagon Response to Hypoglycemia in Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Increased Mortality of Patients With Diabetes Reporting Severe Hypoglycemia.
- Performance of HbA1c as an Early Diagnostic Indicator of Type 1 Diabetes in Children and Youth.
- Prevalence and Natural History of Potential Celiac Disease in At-Family-Risk Infants Prospectively Investigated from Birth.
- Celiac disease in subjects with type 1 diabetes mellitus: a prevalence study in western Sicily (Italy).
- Can you eat gluten-free at free hotel breakfast buffets?
- Gluten-Free Creates Opportunity, Uncertainty.
Legal and Legislative
- American Diabetes Association Applauds the Passage of Louisiana Senate Bill 759.
- American Diabetes Association Applauds the Passage of Connecticut House Bill 5348.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Artificial pancreas that helps diabetics sleep safely at night.
- Film raises awareness for young diabetics.
- Can an artificial pancreas defeat diabetes?
- This New Artificial Pancreas Could Solve Type 1 Diabetes.
- California teen reaches X-Games despite struggles with Type 1 diabetes.
- USF Diabetes Center Targets Type 1 In Families.
- Lilly Diabetes Launches 8th Annual Diabetes Summer Camp Tour With Olympian Kris Freeman; Freeman to share his diabetes experiences with more than 1,500 campers.
- Lilly and Boehringer Ingelheim Present Data at the 72nd American Diabetes Association Scientific Sessions® from Phase II Studies Comparing Investigational Novel Basal Insulin to Insulin Glargine.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:44
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2017. Comments and Feedback.