Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Canada: Vancouver 2012 conference, to be held from August 24-26, 2012 at the Renaissance Vancouver Hotel Harbourside in Vancouver, BC, Canada.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Sugar Land 2012 conference, to be held from October 12-14, 2012 at the Sugar Land Marriott Town Square in Sugar Land, Texas.
New This Week
- We report on Friends for Life: Orlando 2012. Other thoughts from FFL 2012 include:
- Friends For Life 2012: The First Days.
- Friends For (a) Life(time).
- FFL12: Before.
- FFL12: During.
- Friends For Life: “Words of Hope” Video.
- Randomly CWD.
- Iris Checked My Irises – 2012 FFL Conference.
- Last week's poll asked readers if paying for diabetes supplies is a financial burden. This week's poll asks readers if they reuse lancets, syringes/pen needles, pump supplies, or continuous sensors.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Diabetes Through the Looking Glass: Seeing diabetes from your child's perspective by Dr Rachel Besser.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
Our son, Bryce is 2 1/2 and was diagnosed at 9 months. Bryce has three friends in the neighborhood that all get together and play throughout the week. When Bryce needs a check, I go to him with the kit and he stops for a minute while we do our business. One day while waiting for the meter reading, I glanced up and his three friend were all standing their with their fingers out to be checked too! Talk about moral support!
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your child refers to sequel movies as "Type 2." See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Can a seven-month-old have celiac disease? The infant's mother and father both have sisters with type 1 diabetes.
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Who carries the meter/supplies at school in the lower grades?
Diabetes in School
- The American Diabetes Association invites parents of diabetes to participate in its back-to-school webinar on Tuesday, August 14th, at 8:00 PM (Eastern Time) led by ADA's Crystal Jackson and Joyce Boudoin, an ADA school advocate and parent of a child with diabetes. To register for the important and informative program go to https://cc.callinfo.com/r/11jnb0hc6e0ih.
Diabetes Blogs and Social Media
- D-Mom Says: "Kids First, Diabetes Second".
- Scott J. – Scholarship Contest Essay.
- Riding the Wave of Type 1 Diabetes at the Beach.
- The American Diabetes Association has an opening for the position of Director, Legal Advocacy.
- Immunoisolation Effect of Polyvinyl Alcohol (PVA) Macroencapsulated Islets in Type 1 Diabetes Therapy.
- Relationship between Retinopathy Severity, Visual Impairment and Depression in Persons with Long-term Type 1 Diabetes.
- Comparative Effectiveness and Safety of Methods of Insulin Delivery and Glucose Monitoring for Diabetes Mellitus: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis.
- Carbohydrate counting with a bolus calculator improves post-prandial blood glucose levels in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes using insulin pumps.
- Metabolomics approach for analyzing the effects of exercise in subjects with type 1 diabetes mellitus. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Glucose Control Predicts 2-Year Change in Lipid Profile in Youth with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Assessment of diastolic function in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus - Are there early signs of diabetic cardiomyopathy?
- Sex Differences in Cardiovascular Disease Risk in Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Unhealthy dietary patterns associated with inflammation and endothelial dysfunction in type 1 diabetes: The EURODIAB study.
- Population based study of hypoglycemia in type 1 diabetes requiring emergency medical services.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- IndyCar's Charlie Kimball makes impact on and off the track.
- London 2012: Diabetes girl on carrying torch.
- Melanie Chisholm helped save brother from diabetic coma.
- Need to check your blood sugar? There's an app for that.
- Diabetes Service Dog Gives Woman A New Leash On Life.
- Man admits importing counterfeit diabetic test strips, which sold in Allentown.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Wednesday July 18, 2012 14:19:08
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2013. Comments and Feedback.