Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Canada: Vancouver 2012 conference, to be held from August 24-26, 2012 at the Renaissance Vancouver Hotel Harbourside in Vancouver, BC, Canada.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Sugar Land 2012 conference, to be held from October 12-14, 2012 at the Sugar Land Marriott Town Square in Sugar Land, Texas.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2013 conference, to be held at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort from July 9-14, 2013. Registration is now open.
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked readers how they get their HbA1c measured. This week's poll asks readers how diabetes has affected their children without diabetes.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Cheating Destiny by James S. Hirsch.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
I was watching "The Land Before Time" with my four year old grand-daughter, Kayla, last weekend. Kay was diagnosed with diabetes at 17 months. She asked me, "Grandma, why did the dinosaurs die?" I replied that they probably did not have enough food. She thought about that for about a minute, then replied, "Well, they took their insulin, didn't they?" I laughed through my tears!
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when snacks are divided up into Baggies with carb counts written on them in black magic marker. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
How can I assist a four-year-old in understanding he is just like other children even if he has type 1 diabetes?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
When did YOU get back to YOU?
- Camp Kakhamela's 50th Anniversary celebration will be help on September 15, 2012 at the Olympic Oval, Richmond, Britich Columbia from 11:30 am to 4 pm. More information is available at www.campk50.ca or www.facebook.com/campk50.
Diabetes in School
- The American Diabetes Association invites parents of diabetes to participate in its back-to-school webinar on Tuesday, August 14th, at 8:00 PM (Eastern Time) led by ADA's Crystal Jackson and Joyce Boudoin, an ADA school advocate and parent of a child with diabetes. To register for the important and informative program go to https://cc.callinfo.com/r/11jnb0hc6e0ih.
- A free back-to-school workshop for parents of students with diabetes living in San Diego will be offered by the American Diabetes Association. The event is being held on Thursday, August 9th from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. at the North University Community Library 8820 Judicial Drive, San Diego, CA 92122. A complimentary lunch will be provided to attendees. Please RSVP by emailing or calling Lisa Murdock at email@example.com at (916) 541-7198 by August 6, 2012.
- Sign the Safe at School Pledge to Protect Kids with Type 1 Diabetes at School.
Diabetes Blogs and Social Media
- Friends For Life: The Booth.
- Friends for Life Recap: Why it works so well.
- Hoping for an Endo Who “Gets It”.
- Best of the ‘Betes Blogs – Ruby Colored Glasses.
- You Are Beautiful!
- Improvements in the life expectancy of type 1 diabetes; The Pittsburgh Epidemiology of Diabetes Complications Study cohort.
- Breast-Feeding and Childhood-Onset Type 1 Diabetes; A pooled analysis of individual participant data from 43 observational studies.
- The Effect of Direct Renin Inhibition Alone and in Combination With ACE Inhibition on Endothelial Function, Arterial Stiffness, and Renal Function in Type 1 Diabetes.
- History of Cesarean Section Associated with Childhood Onset of T1DM in Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- In vitro generation of functional insulin-producing cells from human bone marrow-derived stem cells, but long-term culture running risk of malignant transformation. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Non-severe nocturnal hypoglycemic events: experience and impacts on patient functioning and well-being.
- Maternal Efficacy and Safety Outcomes in a Randomized, Controlled Trial Comparing Insulin Detemir With NPH Insulin in 310 Pregnant Women With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Fasting guidelines for diabetic children and adolescents. Free full text available in HTML format.
- Diabetic emergencies including hypoglycemia during Ramadan. Free full text available in HTML format.
- Diabetic Ketoacidosis: A Silent Death.
- Insulin degludec as an ultralong-acting basal insulin once a day: a systematic review. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Non-Celiac Wheat Sensitivity Diagnosed by Double-Blind Placebo-Controlled Challenge: Exploring a New Clinical Entity.
- Persistent Duodenal Intraepithelial Lymphocytosis Despite a Long-Term Strict Gluten-Free Diet in Celiac Disease.
- Acculturation and celiac disease risk in second-generation immigrants: a nationwide cohort study in Sweden.
- A Randomized, Double-Blind Study of Larazotide Acetate to Prevent the Activation of Celiac Disease During Gluten Challenge.
- Should Intussusception in Children Prompt Screening for Celiac Disease?
- Labeling medications as 'gluten-free' helps those with celiac disease.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Chef Sam Talbot leads a sweet life.
- Bluffton boy grew up overnight when diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes.
- What it takes to make school a safe place for students with diabetes.
- National type I diabetes prevention trial now an option for younger children. See also Beating Diabetes Before It Happens.
- Experimental Peptide Preserves Beta-Cells in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Shared Appointments Showing Success For Diabetes Patients.
- Lilly Supports Research to Determine What a Dog's Nose Knows About People with Diabetes and Severe Hypoglycemia; Data to inform assistance dog training procedures and to explore future treatment possibilities for people with type 1 diabetes. See also Talking Hypo Alert Canines…In the Dogs Days of Summer.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:44
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2016. Comments and Feedback.