Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Canada: Vancouver 2012 conference, to be held from August 24-26, 2012 at the Renaissance Vancouver Hotel Harbourside in Vancouver, BC, Canada.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Sugar Land 2012 conference, to be held from October 12-14, 2012 at the Sugar Land Marriott Town Square in Sugar Land, Texas.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2013 conference, to be held at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort from July 9-14, 2013. Registration is now open.
New This Week
- The Diabetes Scholars Foundation is offering family scholarships for CWD's Sugar Land Focus on Technology conference.
- Last week's poll asked readers how diabetes has affected their children without diabetes. This week's poll asks readers who drive how often they check their blood glucose before they drive.
- The Featured Book of the Week is My Life as a Pancreas: Reflections on Raising a Child with Diabetes by Priscilla Call Essert.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
Our 3 year old son Bretton (now 4.5 years old), diagnosed at 2, came into the kitchen one day balancing the bathroom sink cup carefully in his hands. I looked at him wondering what he was up to and he piped up, "Look mom, I'm checking my ketones!" Guess what was splashing around inside!
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you hand out glucose tabs to the neighbor kids instead of candy treats. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My half-Finnish daughter has had type 1 for seven years. She has several related autoimmune issues. When she is in Finland visiting relatives, are there any studies in which she could participate? We understand Finns have a high rate of type 1.
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Blood sugar cheat sheet for the teacher
- Join Dr. Camillo Ricordi from the Diabetes Research Institute for a live video chat on Friday, August 10, 2012 from 1-2pm Pacific / 4-5pm Eastern.
Advocacy and Fundraising
- The American Diabetes Association is seeking applications for the 2013 National Youth Advocate.
Studies and Surveys
- Parents are invited to participate in a brief online survey about Diabetes Related Distress in their Children with Type 1 Diabetes. The password for the survey is "diabetes". The survey is the work of Sam, a high school student who has had type 1 diabetes for 15 years.
Diabetes in School
- The American Diabetes Association invites parents of diabetes to participate in its back-to-school webinar on Tuesday, August 14th, at 8:00 PM (Eastern Time) led by ADA's Crystal Jackson and Joyce Boudoin, an ADA school advocate and parent of a child with diabetes. To register for the important and informative program go to https://cc.callinfo.com/r/11jnb0hc6e0ih.
- A free back-to-school workshop for parents of students with diabetes living in San Diego will be offered by the American Diabetes Association. The event is being held on Thursday, August 9th from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. at the North University Community Library 8820 Judicial Drive, San Diego, CA 92122. A complimentary lunch will be provided to attendees. Please RSVP by emailing or calling Lisa Murdock at firstname.lastname@example.org at (916) 541-7198 by August 6, 2012.
General Diabetes Information
- Diabetes Diagnosis and the Perceived Loss of Normalcy: PART 1.
Diabetes Blogs and Social Media
- Support for the Support Team.
- Think Twice Before Bringing Your Dexcom Data to Your Next Doctor's Appointment.
- Untangling the Dysfunction in Insurance Coverage.
- Roche Diabetes Summit 2012 – It’s The Climb.
- DAY 1 – Roche Social Media Summit 2012.
- DAY 2 – Roche Social Media Summit 2012.
- New Perspective on the Cost of Strips.
- From Roche to the T1D Exchange, from happy to hopeful.
- 14 years of soaring anyway.
- Wrong Call: One Diabetic’s Misdiagnosis.
- Medtronic’s Enlite Sensor: The Waiting is the Hardest Part.
- Having It All Or Having Enough?
- Glucolift: Worth Toting Around.
- Fundraiser for a Type 1 Diabetic Refugee from South Sudan.
Products, Services and Books
- Kids First Diabetes Second: Tips for Parents a Child with Type 1 Diabetes is a superb new book by Leighann Calentine.
- Feasibility Study of Automated Overnight Closed-Loop Glucose Control Under MD-Logic Artificial Pancreas in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes: The DREAM Project.
- The Use of an Automated, Portable, Glucose Control System for Overnight Glucose Control in Adolescents and Young Adults With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Vildagliptin Reduces Glucagon during Hyperglycemia and Sustains Glucagon Counterregulation during Hypoglycemia in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Systemic exposure to Pseudomonal bacteria: a potential link between type 1 diabetes and chronic inflammation.
- Patient Perspectives on Personalized Glucose Advisory Systems for Type 1 Diabetes Management.
- Immunotherapy for Type 1 diabetes: getting beyond a negative first impression.
- Ramadan Fasting in Diabetes Patients on Insulin Pump Therapy Augmented by Continuous Glucose Monitoring: An Observational Real-Life Study.
- A qualitative study of young people's perspectives of living with type 1 diabetes: do perceptions vary by levels of metabolic control?
- The Effect of Walking on Postprandial Glycemic Excursion in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes and Healthy People.
- The Prevalence of Celiac Disease in the United States.
- Increased Risk of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus in 29,000 Patients with Biopsy-verified Celiac Disease.
- Living with celiac disease, wheat free .
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Children with Diabetes Provides Support.
- New hope to stop Type 1 Diabetes before it occurs.
- Support network forms for kids with Type 1 diabetes.
- Football players help 7-year-old tackle diabetes.
- Scientist creates insulin patch.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:45
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2017. Comments and Feedback.