Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Sugar Land 2012 conference, to be held from October 12-14, 2012 at the Sugar Land Marriott Town Square in Sugar Land, Texas. The Diabetes Scholars Foundation is offering family scholarships for CWD's Sugar Land Focus on Technology conference.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2013 conference, to be held at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort from July 9-14, 2013. Registration is now open.
Other Stories of Continuing Interest
- The American Diabetes Association is seeking applications for the 2013 National Youth Advocate.
- The application for the 2013 JDRF Children's Congress is now online.
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked parents if their child has a 504 plan for diabetes care at school. This week's poll asks parents who provides assistance to their child while at school.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Type 1 Teens: A Guide to Managing Your Life With Diabetes by Korey Hood, PhD.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
As a new pumper, I wanted to express to the world the sad fact. Therefore, I specialized my license plate-NSLNPMP. To my chagrin, nobody had any idea what it stood for, but my dad (who has a pretty good understanding of me) had the most original idea -- "Nice and Plump?"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your kid has one extra dance recital ticket and of all the people in the world to invite, she invites the school nurse. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
A nephrologist said my daughter has orthostatic proteinuria, probably not related to her diabetes, and suggested monitoring. Would lisinopril be useful in this case? The endocrinologist was not concerned. Do you agree with his assessment?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Individually wrapped ketostix no longer available?
- The 2012 Kids 'n' Us: Families Facing Diabetes Conference will be held on Saturday, October 20th at the Chateau Louis Conference Centre in Edmonton.
Advocacy and Fundraising
- Splash Zone water park in Springfield, Ohio: Rule Change for Medical Conditions.
- Calling for Big Blue Test grant proposals.
Diabetes in School
- It Takes a Community to Keep D-Kids Safe at School.
- Meri to teachers: Just keep them alive.
Diabetes Blogs and Social Media
- You Can Do This: Joe Solo.
- Friends for Life 2012: Part 1.
- Our Take on Abbott’s InsuLinx Meter: A ‘Lite’ Version for the U.S. (?!)
- Helmsley and JDRF Fund New Encapsulation Program at DRI.
Products, Services and Books
- Prognosis for medical apps is guarded.
- Proof-of-Concept, Randomized, Controlled Clinical Trial of Bacillus-Calmette-Guerin for Treatment of Long-Term Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML format with link to PDF.
- Human embryonic stem cell differentiation into insulin secreting beta cells for diabetes. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Three-Dimensional Scaffolds Reduce Islet Amyloid Formation and Enhance Survival and Function of Cultured Human Islets.
- The Non-Obese Diabetic (NOD) Mouse as a Model of Human Type 1 Diabetes.
- The BB Rat as a Model of Human Type 1 Diabetes.
- Diabetic Ketoacidosis at Diabetes Onset: Still an All Too Common Threat in Youth.
- Reduced soluble receptor for advanced glycation end-products (sRAGE) scavenger capacity precedes pre-eclampsia in Type 1 diabetes.
- Quality of Life and Technology: Impact on Children and Families With Diabetes.
- Supporting self-management after attending a structured education programme: a qualitative longitudinal investigation of type. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Obesity and risk factors for metabolic syndrome in young people with type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Reintroduction of gluten following flour transamidation in adult celiac patients: a randomized, controlled clinical study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Gluten-free diet does not appear to induce endoscopic remission of eosinophilic esophagitis in children with coexistent celiac disease.
- Green banana pasta: an alternative for gluten-free diets.
- Diversification in the first year of food life.
- What Happens When You Have Celiac Disease?
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Diabetic's mum upset at treatment.
- Public Radio’s Kurt Andersen Tackles Misunderstandings About Diabetes.
- Diabetic alert dog an 'extra, safe tool' for 6-year-old.
- Family Pets Turned Into Diabetic Alert Dogs.
- ARCA: Ryan Reed Not Letting Type 1 Diabetes Sideline His Dreams.
- Teenage Diabetic Works To Find Cure For Disease.
- Children attend diabetes camp.
- Young diabetic to represent country.
- Daily life with type 1 diabetes.
- Canadian kids with diabetes compete in international soccer tournament.
- World First - Islet Transplant Into Man Using Sernova's Cell Pouch(TM) For Treatment Of Diabetes.
- Bayer supports children with diabetes.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Wednesday August 22, 2012 14:53:20
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2014. Comments and Feedback.