Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Sugar Land 2012 conference, to be held from October 12-14, 2012 at the Sugar Land Marriott Town Square in Sugar Land, Texas. The Diabetes Scholars Foundation is offering family scholarships for CWD's Sugar Land Focus on Technology conference.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2013 conference, to be held at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort from July 9-14, 2013. Registration is now open.
Other Stories of Continuing Interest
- The American Diabetes Association is seeking applications for the 2013 National Youth Advocate.
- The application for the 2013 JDRF Children's Congress is now online.
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked parents who provides assistance to their child while at school. This week's poll asks readers about how many times they've needed to use glucagon.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Breakthrough: Elizabeth Hughes, the Discovery of Insulin, and the Making of a Medical Miracle by Thea Cooper and Arthur Ainsberg.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My six year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 on April 1 (of all days!) 2002. He is an avid Pokemon fan. We were teaching him how to read the nutrition labels and find out how many carbs are in various foods. One day he picked up a can of light lemonade and said "Mom, this does 2 points damage, can I drink this?" So now we track our carbs by how many "hit points" or how much "damage" a food will do.
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you are talking about a friend's car problem as "He needs to fix his carbohydrates" instead of carburetor. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
The school nurse doesn't approve of in-class blood sugar testing. Do I have the right to insist my daughter be allowed to test her blood sugar in the classroom?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Drink juice boxes while asleep?
- Fundraiser to be held for diabetes camp for children.
Advocacy and Fundraising
- Calling for Big Blue Test grant proposals.
Diabetes in School
- The Colorado Kids with Diabetes Care and Prevention Collaborative offers a selection of handouts for school nurses, among other excellent resources.
Diabetes Blogs and Social Media
- TNF, BCG, and You and Me: An In-Depth Look at the Faustman Lab Research.
- A Father’s Love at the Heart of ‘Bionic Pancreas’ Project.
- Glucose Meter Accuracy Counts More — and Less — Than You Think.
- Brehm Coalition to Shake Diabetes Research Up; Putting Science 2.0 into Action.
- Talking to a Nurse Living with Diabetes.
- The TypeMe Project - a film about Type1 Diabetes seeks funding help to complete their project.
- Blood Glucose Control in Type 1 Diabetes With a Bihormonal Bionic Endocrine Pancreas.
- A fluorescent responsive hybrid nanogel for closed-loop control of glucose.
- Pharmacokinetics and Postprandial Glycemic Excursions following Insulin Lispro Delivered by Intradermal Microneedle or Subcutaneous Infusion.
- Islet beta-Cell Mass Preservation and Regeneration in Diabetes Mellitus: Four Factors with Potential Therapeutic Interest. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats (PDF link in HTML page).
- Increasing local blood flow by warming the application site: beneficial effects on postprandial glycemic excursions.
- Insulin Degludec/Insulin Aspart Administered Once Daily at Any Meal, With Insulin Aspart at Other Meals Versus a Standard Basal-Bolus Regimen in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Relationship between diabetic retinopathy, microalbuminuria and overt nephropathy, and twenty-year incidence follow-up of a sample of type 1 diabetic patients.
- Complications of continuous intraperitoneal insulin infusion with an implantable pump. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Morning Hyperglycemia in Children and Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes and Different Modes of Therapy: An Evaluation of the DPV Data Pool.
- Eating problems in adolescents with Type 1 diabetes: a systematic review with meta-analysis.
- Estimated Insulin Sensitivity and Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factors in Adolescents with and without Type 1 Diabetes.
- Assessment of Diabetic Retinopathy Using Nonmydriatic Ultra-Widefield Scanning Laser Ophthalmoscopy (Optomap) Compared With ETDRS 7-Field Stereo Photography.
- Use of telemedicine in subjects with type 1 diabetes equipped with an insulin pump and real-time continuous glucose monitoring.
- Prototype for Internet support of pregnant women and mothers with type 1 diabetes: focus group testing. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Moderate Amounts of Fructose Consumption Impair Insulin Sensitivity in Healthy Young Men.
- Altoona woman with Celiac Disease was misdiagnosed for 20 years.
- Eyeing a gluten-free revolution.
- The challenge of eating gluten-free.
Legal and Legislative
- Behind Bars, with Diabetes. Readers are encourage to sign the petition requesting that the United States Penitentiary in Leavenworth, KS Provide People with Diabetes with Adequate Medical Care.
- D.C. allows non-nurses to treat diabetic students after incident.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Study Attempts to Reverse Autoimmunity in Type 1 Diabetes.
- A $21,000 alert dog could change lives of 3-year-old's family in Carnegie.
- IndyCar racer laps diabetes.
- Long Distance Runner Battles Diabetes On Cross Country Trek.
- Diabetic pumped up about change.
- Diabetes on Campus: One College Student’s Experience.
- Diabetes doesn't keep Kimball from IndyCar racing.
- Confusion Over Diabetes Types Adds to Patients' Woes.
- Local off-road group hosts fundraiser Saturday for diabetic boy, alert dog.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:45
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2015. Comments and Feedback.