Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Sugar Land 2012 conference, to be held from October 12-14, 2012 at the Sugar Land Marriott Town Square in Sugar Land, Texas. The Diabetes Scholars Foundation is offering family scholarships for CWD's Sugar Land Focus on Technology conference.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: UK 2013 conference, to be held at the Glasgow Marriott Hotel in Glasgow, Scotland from 5-7 April, 2013. Family scholarships are available from the Diabetes Scholars Foundation.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2013 conference, to be held at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort from July 9-14, 2013.
New This Week
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology conference at the Crystal Gateway Marriott in Crystal City, Virginia, from February 1-3, 2013.
- Diabetes Art Day 2012 is September 24. Learn how you can participate.
- Last week's poll asked readers about their insulin regimen. This week's poll asks readers about the most important feature in their glucose meter.
- The Featured Book of the Week is A Magic Ride in Foozbah-Land -- An Inside Look at Diabetes by Jean Betschart Roemer, MN, MSN, CPNP, CDE with illustrations by Jackie Urbanovic.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
This is yucky, but you know kids. My son was getting ready for school and was blowing his nose and said to me, "Hey mom, you know how little kids pick their noses and eat it? Well, I wonder how many carbs are in boogers?" Oh how gross! I laughed and laughed! There's a boy for you!
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when while driving in the car with your diabetic child, a radio show asks listeners to call in with the answer to the question, "What do parents most often say at their kids?" and your daughter answers, "Did you bolus?" See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Are weight loss/fat burning supplements safe for those with type 1? I am gaining weight since my diagnosis despite a healthy diet and exercise.
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Haley was fired after mentioning diabetes!
Diabetes Blogs and Social Media
- NewsFlash: TCOYD Launching Type 1 Track!.
- 3 am Eternal.
- Avenues for Patient Advocacy.
- Why Do We Get Up in the Middle of the Night?
- Using Words Wisely: They Really Do Matter.
- Ex-Hockey Player Writes His Own Rules for the Diabetes Game.
- Stem cells as a tool to improve outcomes of islet transplantation. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Glucagon secretion and signaling in the development of diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Enterovirus-induced gene expression profile is critical for human pancreatic islet destruction.
- Teplizumab for Treatment of Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- The use and efficacy of continuous glucose monitoring in type 1 diabetes treated with insulin pump therapy: a randomised controlled trial.
- Continuous Glucose Monitoring: Quality of hypoglycemia detection.
- Randomized Nutrition Education Intervention to Improve Carbohydrate Counting in Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes Study: Is More Intensive Education Needed?
- Continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion in adult type 1 diabetes mellitus: data from a registry at the University Medical Centre Ljubljana, Slovenia.
- Higher age at onset of type 1 diabetes increases risk of macular oedema.
- Managing type 1 diabetes mellitus in pregnancy-from planning to breastfeeding.
- Characteristics of suicide among diabetes patients: A population based study of suicide victims in Northern Finland.
- Children with type 1-diabetes from ethnic minorities: vulnerable patients needing a tailored medical support.
- The Frequency of Celiac Disease In Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.
- Tissue transglutaminase levels above 100 U/mL and celiac disease: A prospective study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Celiac disease and gluten intolerance.
- Missing nothing: Gluten-free nut bread perfected.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- High school volleyball: Buffalo’s Persinger finds success, despite maladies.
- Ore City boy with Type I Diabetes gets dog trained to sense blood sugar levels.
- Liverpool girl will get her diabetic alert dog this month.
- Vacaville youth is youngest Bay Area spokesman for juvenile diabetes.
- Living with diabetes: Brown family adjusts to life with Gracie’s condition.
- Suspicious death of Joe Fitzpatrick at home of 'healer' under investigation.
- JDRF Announces Winners of the Theoretical Phase of Its Agnes Varis Glucose-Responsive Insulin Grand Challenge Prize.
- Riding On Insulin Awarded $77,000 Capacity-Building Grant from The Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust.
- Biodel Announces Phase 2 Clinical Trial Initiation Of Ultra-Rapid-Acting Insulin Candidate BIOD-123.
- BD Introduces Advanced Needle Technology Designed to Enhance Patient Comfort and Improve Patient Adherence in Diabetes Care. See also New & Improved BD Nano with PentaPoint™ Comfort.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:45
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2015. Comments and Feedback.