Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology conference at the Crystal Gateway Marriott in Crystal City, Virginia, from February 1-3, 2013.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: UK 2013 conference, to be held at the Glasgow Marriott Hotel in Glasgow, Scotland from 5-7 April, 2013. Family scholarships are available from the Diabetes Scholars Foundation.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2013 conference, to be held at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort from July 9-14, 2013.
New This Week
- Applications for JDRF's Children's Congress 2013 are due by November 1, 2012.
- Students With Diabetes announces an internship program for college-aged young adults with type 1 diabetes.
- Last week's poll asked readers if the ongoing economic problems have impact their ability to pay for their diabetes care and supplies. This week's poll asks readers if they have ever been denied health insurance coverage because of diabetes.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Understanding Diabetes, 12th Edition by H. Peter Chase, MD, and David M. Maahs, MD, PhD.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
On top of the cookies in the cookie jar is a paper with 6c. (6 Carbohydrates) each written on it. Upon returning from getting a cookie, my non-diabetic nephew says, "I don't have 6 cents to pay for each one of these cookies." My 5 year old diabetic son said, "It's carbs, not cents!"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you find a quilt that comes in blue or red that would go perfect in your child's room and you automatically pick the red one because it will hide the spots left after middle of the night blood checks. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
What is your recommended rule of thumb for converting to an injections strategy in the event of a pump failure and a replacement pump is not available for, say, 48 hours?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
One key pump feature that won you over?
- The Joslin Diabetes Center is holding a symposium on Innovations in Care and Discovery for Pediatric, Adolescent and Young Adult Type 1 Patients on October 16 at One Joslin Place in Boston, MA.
- Riding on Insulin is bringing a ski/snowboard camp to CairnGorm Mountain, Scotland on January 4th and 5th, 2013.
- Pump Wear is seeking recommendations for families to attend a free Caring and Sharing Weekend, to be held from May 10-12, 2013.
General Diabetes Information
- The Nobel Prize Committee has an online game about caring for a dog with type 1 diabetes.
Diabetes Blogs and Social Media
- NewsFlash: Dexcom’s Next-Gen “Platinum” CGM Approved by FDA!
- European Blogger Summit: Berlin, Germany.
- Sending a Child With Type 1 Diabetes to School: A Guide.
Products, Services and Books
- DexCom announces FDA approval of its new G4 Platinum continuous glucose monitoring system.
- Comparative Pharmacokinetics and Insulin Action for Three Rapid-Acting Insulin Analogs Injected Subcutaneously With and Without Hyaluronidase.
- Macroporous Three Dimensional PDMS Scaffolds for Extrahepatic Islet Transplantation.
- New susceptibility Loci associated with kidney disease in type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Early Childhood Infections and the Risk of Islet Autoimmunity - The Diabetes Autoimmunity Study in the Young (DAISY).
- Therapeutic Effects of PPARalpha Agonists on Diabetic Retinopathy in Type 1 Diabetic Models.
- Participant characteristics and study features associated with high retention rates in a longitudinal investigation of type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- An exploratory study of positive and incongruent communication in young children with type 1 diabetes and their mothers.
- Changes in Executive Functioning and Self-Management in Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes: A Growth Curve Analysis.
- Mobile Phone-Based Pattern Recognition and Data Analysis for Patients with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Prevalence and impact of initial misclassification of pediatric type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Evaluation of a point-of-care test based on deamidated gliadin peptides for celiac disease screening in a large pediatric population.
- Effects of prebiotic inulin-type fructans on structure, quality, sensory acceptance and glycemic response of gluten-free breads.
Legal and Legislative
- Medtronic Minimed sues Insulet for patent infringement.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Medical Alert Service Dog, Teague, new student at St. Ann Catholic School.
- The dog 'nose:' Diabetic alert dogs proving better than tech tools.
- For diabetic children, a camping experience.
- Toddler Learning to Manage Type One Diabetes.
- Colorado's Will Pericak hopes to inspire others with Type 1 diabetes.
- Parents’ shock over life-changing illness.
- Diabetes can be life altering, not life ending if managed properly.
- How to talk to your children about diabetes.
- Eli Lilly And The State Of The Insulin Battle.
- Blood money: Black, gray markets for diabetes test strips a big business.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:45
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2017. Comments and Feedback.