Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology conference at the Crystal Gateway Marriott in Crystal City, Virginia, from February 1-3, 2013. Family scholarships are available from the Diabetes Scholars Foundation.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Canada 2013 conference, to be held at the Marriott Toronto Downtown Eaton Centre, Toronto, Canada, from March 8-10, 2013.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: UK 2013 conference, to be held at the Glasgow Marriott Hotel in Glasgow, Scotland from 5-7 April, 2013. Family scholarships are available from the Diabetes Scholars Foundation.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2013 conference, to be held at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort from July 9-14, 2013.
New This Week
- CWD Friends For Life 2012: Hope and Onesies.
- Insulindependence is now accepting applications for its 2012-2013 Junior Captain program. This is an exceptional opportunity for young people, ages 9-18, with type 1 diabetes.
- Jessica is 13 and was diagnosed when she was 11.
- Last week's poll asked readers about what time of day they are most worried about hypoglycemia. This week's poll asks readers about how many times they have checked for ketones in the past year.
- The Featured Book of the Week is The Fight to Survive: A Young Girl, Diabetes, and the Discovery of Insulin by Caroline Cox.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My son recently was ill and had returned to school. His blood sugar went extremely low and the rescue had to be called. This obviously caused quite a commotion at the school. That evening a mother called to say that her daughter was worried about my son and had reported "Mom, his blood sugar was so low it was down to his belly button!"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you have been doing frequent night checks because your child has been running a fever and find yourself in the bathroom getting Children's Tylenol before you realize the 103 was on the glucose meter, not the digital thermometer. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Since his diagnosis a about a year ago, my son has experienced episodes of hypoglycemia that persist for several hours despite repeated treatments and then hyperglycemia. He also gets hypoglycemic without exogenous insulin. Has this happened to others? What do you recommend?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Trialnet program ... Yes or no?
Advocacy and Fundraising
- The University of Florida is holding their 5th Annual World Diabetes Day Photo Contest.
Studies and Surveys
- Researchers from the University of Connecticut are conducting a survey about the use of dogs that can detect sugar levels in persons with diabetes. If you or anyone you know has a dog that can detect sugar levels, please take the online survey.
Diabetes in School
- The American Diabetes Association is co-sponsoring a Safe at School Parent Advocacy Workshop at The Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 6:30 p.m. The workshop will be held at the Annenberg Building at the Hall Family Center Division of Pediatric Endocrinology & Diabetes, 1468 Madison Avenue, 4th floor Conference Room 4-56. RSVP to Loretta.email@example.com.
Diabetes Blogs and Social Media
- Dexcom’s G4 Platinum CGM.
- Dexcom G4: First Impressions.
- Dexcom Rash: Swinging for the Fences.
- MySentry Trial: Wearing the Sensor.
- TD14ADay: Pretending Not To Be.
- Life for a Child: Diabetes Care for Young People in Vietnam.
- Going Global.
Products, Services and Books
- New Products for Low Blood Sugars.
- NewsFlash: Find Your ‘Diabesties’ Through New App! a Preview of Diabesties is available at the iTunes store.
- Blue Cupcake Press sells a selection of diabetes-themed note cards.
- Can we vaccinate against Type 1 diabetes? Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- From biomarkers to a clue of biology: a computation-aided perspective of immune gene expression profiles in human type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Novel therapies in the management of type I diabetes mellitus.
- Diabetes Death Rates Among Youths Aged <=19 Years — United States, 1968–2009.
- High prevalence of vitamin D deficiency among newly diagnosed youth-onset diabetes mellitus in north India. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Acceleration of insulin pharmacodynamic profile by a novel insulin infusion site warming device.
- Insulin Detemir: A Review of its Use in the Management of Diabetes Mellitus.
- Insulin analogues in the treatment of diabetes in pregnancy. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Insulin requirements in late pregnancy in women with type 1 diabetes mellitus: A retrospective review.
- Impulse Control, Diabetes-Specific Self-Efficacy, and Diabetes Management Among Emerging Adults With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Management and quality indicators of diabetes mellitus in people with intellectual disabilities.
- Diabetes self-management, depressive symptoms, quality of life and metabolic control in youth with type 1 diabetes in China.
- Coeliac Disease: The New Proposed ESPGHAN Diagnostic Criteria Do Work Well in A Selected Population.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Charlie Kimball - Diabetic Racer - Racing.
- Cutler has learned how to deal with diabetes.
- Report on fewer children dying from diabetes offers good, but not celebratory, news.
- One family's story of living with diabetes after son's diagnosis.
- Fife family's joy as insulin pump 'liberates' young diabetic Tommy Black.
- Diabetes sufferers misuse insulin to lose weight, says charity.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Tuesday November 06, 2012 22:26:00
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2013. Comments and Feedback.