Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology conference at the Crystal Gateway Marriott in Crystal City, Virginia, from February 1-3, 2013. Family scholarships are available from the Diabetes Scholars Foundation.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Canada 2013 conference, to be held at the Marriott Toronto Downtown Eaton Centre, Toronto, Canada, from March 8-10, 2013.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: UK 2013 conference, to be held at the Glasgow Marriott Hotel in Glasgow, Scotland from 5-7 April, 2013. Family scholarships are available from the Diabetes Scholars Foundation.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2013 conference, to be held at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort from July 9-14, 2013.
Other Stories of Continuing Interest
- Insulindependence is now accepting applications for its 2012-2013 Junior Captain program. This is an exceptional opportunity for young people, ages 9-18, with type 1 diabetes.
New This Week
- Lindsey is 8 and was diagnosed right before her sixth birthday.
- Last week's poll asked readers how many times per day they check their blood glucose level. This week's poll asks readers what they use to record blood glucose values.
- The Featured Book of the Week is The ABCs of Loving Yourself with Diabetes by Riva Greenberg.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
We just put an inground pool in our backyard this summer. One day, I was testing the pool for chlorine and ph balance. My 9 year old daughter saw me put the testing strip in and compare it to the colours on the bottle. She then asked, "Does the pool have ketones?"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when, in conversation, your husband describes his personality as Type 1 instead of Type A. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Why is it acceptable for a 10-year-old to have an HbA1c of 8? Our pediatrician does not want us to work toward a lower A1c. Am I right to be concerned about possible future complications?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Dexcom G4, age 3, week 1 review
Advocacy and Fundraising
- JDRF is seeking your help to call your elected officials and urge continued funding for the Special Diabetes Program.
- 1Run Outrun Diabetes is Doug Masiuk's run across the United States for diabetes.
Studies and Surveys
- Researchers from the University of Connecticut are conducting a survey about the use of dogs that can detect sugar levels in persons with diabetes. If you or anyone you know has a dog that can detect sugar levels, please take the online survey.
General Diabetes Information
- The CDC's National Diabetes Fact Sheet - 2011 provides a detailed look at the prevalence of type 1 and type 2 diabetes in the United States.
Diabetes Blogs and Social Media
- What we can all learn from Sandy .. and Diabetes (The one where I laugh at smashing both my cars at once).
- The YMCA, Reality TV, and Diabetes Across the Globe.
- Dexcom’s New G4 — Is Now the Time to Buy?
- The Diabetes Technology Society — Embracing Standards at Last?
- Guest Post: Living the Paleo Lifestyle with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Islet-Specific CTL Cloned from a Type 1 Diabetes Patient Cause Beta-Cell Destruction after Engraftment into HLA-A2 Transgenic NOD/SCID/IL2RG Null Mice. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Long term effects of the implantation of Wharton's jelly-derived mesenchymal stem cells from the umbilical cord for newly-onset type 1 diabetes mellitus. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Microparticles bearing encephalitogenic peptides induce T-cell tolerance and ameliorate experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. See also Nanoparticle treatment could combat type 1 diabetes.
- Reduction in Carotid Intima-Media Thickness After Pancreatic Islet Transplantation in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes.
- HLA-A*24 Is an Independent Predictor of 5-Year Progression to Diabetes in Autoantibody-Positive First-Degree Relatives of Type 1 Diabetic Patients.
- Family history of Type 1 diabetes affects insulin secretion in patients with 'Type 2' diabetes.
- Long-Term Changes in Adiposity and Glycemic Control Are Associated With Past Adenovirus Infection.
- Recent incidence of type 1 diabetes mellitus in children 0--14 years in Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada climbs to over 45/100,000: a retrospective time trend study. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Accuracy of Self Monitoring Blood Glucose Systems in a Clinical Setting: Application of New Planned ISO-Standards.
- Real-Time Improvement of Continuous Glucose-Monitoring Accuracy - The smart sensor concept.
- Efficacy and safety of ultra-long-acting insulin degludec. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Carbohydrate counting accuracy and blood glucose variability in adults with type 1 diabetes.
- A retrospective study on the incidence and risk factors of severe hypoglycemia in primary care.
- Characterizing the transition from paediatric to adult care among emerging adults with Type 1 diabetes.
- Readiness for Living Independently Among Emerging Adults With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Foster care and type 1 diabetes in the Bronx: a case series.
- Blood glucose levels in children with Type 1 diabetes attending a residential diabetes camp: a 2-year review.
- Thyroid autoimmunity in 72 children with type 1 diabetes mellitus: relationship with pancreatic autoimmunity and child growth.
- Resistance Versus Aerobic Exercise; Acute effects on glycemia in type 1 diabetes.
- The impact of treatment non-compliance on mortality in people with type 1 diabetes.
- Celiac disease: Prevalence, diagnosis, pathogenesis and treatment. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Isolated positive anti-gliadin immunoglobin-A antibody in children with gastrointestinal symptoms.
- Living with coeliac disease and a gluten-free diet: a Canadian perspective.
- The Celiac Iceberg: A Characterization of the Disease in Primary School Children.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- World renowned diabetes researcher at CU Denver dies; colleagues mourn.
- Golfer Michelle McGann is on a mission: ‘I want to help every Type 1 diabetic that I can’.
- Diabetes: a lost childhood.
- Diabetic alert dog to help Enid girl and family manage disease.
- Brennan’s Hero - Service dog helps Peculiar boy cope with disease.
- Sanofi and T1D Exchange to Launch Worldwide Study to Investigate Factors for Optimal.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:45
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2016. Comments and Feedback.