Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology conference at the Crystal Gateway Marriott in Crystal City, Virginia, from February 1-3, 2013. Family scholarships are available from the Diabetes Scholars Foundation.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Canada 2013 conference, to be held at the Marriott Toronto Downtown Eaton Centre, Toronto, Canada, from March 8-10, 2013.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: UK 2013 conference, to be held at the Glasgow Marriott Hotel in Glasgow, Scotland from 5-7 April, 2013. Family scholarships are available from the Diabetes Scholars Foundation.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2013 conference, to be held at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort from July 9-14, 2013. Note that sessions begin on Wednesday, July 10.
Other Stories of Continuing Interest
- Insulindependence is now accepting applications for its 2012-2013 Junior Captain program. This is an exceptional opportunity for young people, ages 9-18, with type 1 diabetes.
New This Week
- Jackson is 13 and plays both offensive and defensive line in football.
- Vanessa is eight and was diagnosed when she was seven.
- Last week's poll asked readers how often they get an error message when they check their blood sugar. This week's poll asks readers about innovations they expect to see in 2013.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Type 1 Teens: A Guide to Managing Your Life With Diabetes by Korey Hood, PhD.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
I have 8 month old non-diabetic granddaughter who's sister has type 1 diabetes. The baby was transitioning from Stage 1 babyfood to starting on table food. At dinner the other day, my daughter opened a container of baby food and looked concerned as she stirred it. She asked me if I thought it looked bad because it was lumpy. I bent over the container and asked my daughter, "Is it Type 1?" What I meant to say was Stage 1.
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your son without diabetes comes out of the bathroom at the age of 3 and announces that he thinks he has diabetes -- "Oh, no, I mean diarrhea!" See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Is it okay for my sister to breast feed her daughter who was just diagnosed with type 1 and is in the ICU? The doctors at the hospital do not recommend it, but the pediatrician says it would be fine.
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Extra sad at Christmastime...3 mos since diagnosis
Studies and Surveys
- Are you the spouse or partner of someone with type 1 diabetes? The Behavioral Diabetes Institute is developing the first ever, Web-based program to address the emotional stresses of spouses and partners just like you. But we need your help! To develop this program, we need partners to complete an online, anonymous, 15 – 20 minute questionnaire. We will use these results to help us understand how partners are struggling and how we can help. These findings will then be used to build the final online program. When completed in early 2013, this program will be available to partners all over the world at no cost. If you might be willing to participate, please go to http://behavioraldiabetesinstitute.org/Just-For-Partners-Program.html for further information.
- Parents are invited to participate in a brief online survey about the affect of the legal system on the health care provided to students with type 1 diabetes in public elementary and middle schools.
- Parents and kids are invited to participate in an anonymous online survey about their experiences at school. The research is being conducted by a 3rd year medical student at Ohio University, and is a follow on to a previously published work in this area. The parents' survey is at www.surveymonkey.com/s/ParentSurveyDiabetes and the the children's survey is at www.surveymonkey.com/s/ChildrenSurveyDiabetes.
General Diabetes Information
- The American Diabetes Association has released its 2013 Clinical Practice Recommendations.
Diabetes Blogs and Social Media
- Imagine a World Without Diabetes.
- Runner with Type 1 Diabetes Inspires .
Products, Services and Books
- Opportunities and Challenges for Biosimilars: What's on the Horizon in the Global Insulin Market?
- Integrated Model of Metabolism and Autoimmune Response in beta-Cell Death and Progression to Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Combination therapies in the context of anti-CD3 antibodies for the treatment of autoimmune diseases. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- A Case of Slowly Progressive Type 1 Diabetes with Insulin Independence Maintained for 10 Years with alpha-glucosidase Inhibitor Monotherapy. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Evaluating the Accuracy and Large Inaccuracy of Two Continuous Glucose Monitoring Systems.
- Predictors of deteriorations in diabetes management and control in adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Should the Amounts of Fat and Protein Be Taken into Consideration to Calculate the Lunch Prandial Insulin Bolus? Results from a Randomized Crossover Trial.
- Breastfeeding and its impact on daily life in women with type 1 diabetes during the first six months after childbirth: a prospective cohort study.
- Clinical Practice - Celiac Disease.
- High prevalence of celiac disease among Saudi children with type 1 diabetes: a prospective cross-sectional study.
- Early infections are associated with increased risk for celiac disease: an incident case-referent study. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Prevalence of Irritable Bowel Syndrome-Type Symptoms in Patients with Celiac, Disease: A Meta-analysis.
- Intakes of nutrients in Italian children with celiac disease and the role of commercially available gluten-free products.
- Immunogenic peptides can be detected in whole gluten by transamidating highly susceptible glutamine residues: implication for searching of gluten-free cereals.
- Celiac Disease Can Make Holiday Treats a Pain.
- What if Santa Has Celiac?
- Toward a Pill to Enable Celiac Patients to Eat Foods Containing Gluten.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Boy's Christmas wish for diabetes cure.
- David Law Firm of Conway estblishes new scholarship for students with diabetes.
- dLifeTV Leaves the Television Set.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Wednesday December 26, 2012 05:33:23
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2014. Comments and Feedback.