Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology conference at the Crystal Gateway Marriott in Crystal City, Virginia, from February 1-3, 2013. Family scholarships are available from the Diabetes Scholars Foundation.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Canada 2013 conference, to be held at the Marriott Toronto Downtown Eaton Centre, Toronto, Canada, from March 8-10, 2013.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: UK 2013 conference, to be held at the Glasgow Marriott Hotel in Glasgow, Scotland from 5-7 April, 2013. Family scholarships are available from the Diabetes Scholars Foundation.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2013 conference, to be held at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort from July 9-14, 2013. Note that sessions begin on Wednesday, July 10. Scholarships for families who have children with type 1, adults with type 1 or LADA and their families, and young adults with type 1, are available from the Diabetes Scholars Foundation.
Other Stories of Continuing Interest
- Applications for the 2013 Diabetes Scholars Foundation College Scholarships are now online. Applications must be received by May 15, 2013.
- Coming to Friends for Life: Orlando 2013? You can help the Diabetes Scholars Foundation by attending their fundraiser, Making Magic For Many, on the evening of Saturday, July 13th.
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked readers about how much insulin they use, on average, each day. This week's poll asks readers if diabetes has impacted their sleep.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Type 1 Diabetes in Children, Adolescents and Young Adults by Ragnar Hanas, M.D.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
I was sending my son a text this morning – he has a stomach bug and low ketones – and my note was "remember, fluids and insulin will make the ketones go away." It autocorrected to "fluids and insulin will make the kittens go away."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your child holds up a box in the grocery store and, when you ask "How much?", the nice bystander says "$2.99" and your child says, "15 carbs for one serving." See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My granddaughter lies about cheating with foods and has great swings in her blood sugars. She will not do her school work and does not care about anything. Where can we find help?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Nervous about switching from MDI to pump
- Camps for kids with diabetes offer a great learning experience. We've updated our list of camps to help you find a camp near you.These camps have updated schedules:
- ADA Camp Aspire offers camping fun for kids in western New York
- ADA Camp Colorado offers summer fun for kids with diabetes.
- ADA Camp Daypoint is a day-camp adventure for children ages 5 to 9 in northwest Wisconsin.
- ADA Camp Freedom is a resident camp for kids ages 8-16 in eastern Pennsylvania
- ADA Camp John Warvel offers camp for kids with diabetes ages 7 through 15 in North Webster, Indiana.
- ADA Camp Needlepoint offers overnight camping fun for kids in Wisconsin and Minnesota.
- ADA Camp Triangle D offers children with diabetes in northern Illinois a summer camping experience.
- Camp AZDA at Friendly Pines Camp provides kids with diabetes in Arizona an excellent camping experience.
- Camp EDI is a residential camp for kids from Illinois and Missouri.
- Camp Granada has held diabetes camp for 37 years in Monticello, Illinois.
- Camp Hertko Hollow offers camping for kids in Iowa
- Camp Huronda is a camp for kids with diabetes at Lake Waseosa near Huntsville, Ontario, Canada.
- Camp Jean Nelson offers "the week that lasts a lifetime" to kids in Alberta and the Northwest Territories.
- Camp Kakhamela offers kids and families in British Columbia a wonderful camping experience.
- Camp Lakota offers overnight camping fun for kids in Wisconsin and is held in Rosholt, north of Stevens Point.
- Camp Lion Maxwell and are camps in Nova Scotia
- Camp Midicha serves kids with diabetes in Michigan.
- Camp Planet D offers horseback riding and outdoor activities for kids ages 7-15 near Kansas City, Kansas
- Camp Sioux offers a summer camp for kids with diabetes in North Dakota and northwestern Minnesota.
- Management of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in Children and Adolescents. Free full text available in PDF format.
Diabetes Blogs and Social Media
- Precautions Urged for Drivers With Diabetes.
- Comparing Dexcom G4 Platinum and Medtronic Minimed.
- Pod change at 3:45 am.
- Natalie Irish: Artist with Diabetes.
- You Want To Know What's Exhausting? Living With Diabetes & Diabetes Media Muck - Ups!
- Diabulimia – what’s in a name?
- CES 2013: Dexcom.
- Life-saver for diabetics being created here.
- Rocco’s Misdiagnosis : A Story About DKA. To can raise awareness of the signs and symptoms of type 1 to help prevent DKA at diagnosis, please see the IDF's Defeat DKA and Save Lives page. Print and share their posters at schools and doctors' offices.
- Glucose-responsive insulin and glucagon delivery (dual-hormone artificial pancreas) in adults with type 1 diabetes: a randomized crossover controlled trial. Free full text available in PDF format. See also Artificial pancreas: the way of the future for treating type 1 diabetes.
- Promotion of autoimmune diabetes by cereal diet in the presence or absence of microbes associated with gut immune activation, regulatory imbalance and altered cathelicidin antimicrobial peptide .
- Verification of Skin Autofluorescence Values by Mass Spectrometry in Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes: Brief Report.
- Previous maternal infection protects offspring from enterovirus infection and prevents experimental diabetes development in mice.
- Cross-sectional and longitudinal relationships of body mass index with glycemic control in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Maternal depressive symptoms predict acute hospitalization among children with type 1 diabetes.
- Medical care of pregnant women with type 1 diabetes - current guidelines and clinical practice. Free full text available in PDF format.
- The Link Between Polycystic Ovary Syndrome and Both Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. (Free Medscape membership required to view.)
- Intestinal biopsy is not always required to diagnose celiac disease: a retrospective analysis of combined antibody tests.
- UNL Dining Services handles celiac disease on case-by-case basis.
- Center for Celiac Research Moves from U of Md. to MassGeneral.
- Biopharma testing celiac disease drug to break down gluten.
- More Churches Offering Gluten-free Communion Bread Options.
Legal and Legislative
- Duval County School Board approves change to diabetic student policy.
- N.J. State Police superintendent must answer questions in diabetes lawsuit.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Sebastien Sasseville Conquers Mountain and Desert.
- Girl, 9, Saves Mom From Diabetic Attack While Driving.
- Education crucial for type 1 diabetes patients.
- Pig cell trial improves diabetic man's sight.
- Diabetes doesn’t get him down.
- JDRF Announces New Award in Honor of Dr. George Eisenbarth.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Wednesday February 06, 2013 09:00:44
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2013. Comments and Feedback.