Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: UK 2013 conference, to be held at the Glasgow Marriott Hotel in Glasgow, Scotland from 5-7 April, 2013. Family scholarships are available from the Diabetes Scholars Foundation.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2013 conference, to be held at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort from July 9-14, 2013. Note that sessions begin on Wednesday, July 10. Scholarships for families who have children with type 1, adults with type 1 or LADA and their families, and young adults with type 1, are available from the Diabetes Scholars Foundation.
Other Stories of Continuing Interest
- Applications for the 2013 Diabetes Scholars Foundation College Scholarships are now online. Applications must be received by May 15, 2013.
- Coming to Friends for Life: Orlando 2013? You can help the Diabetes Scholars Foundation by attending their fundraiser, Making Magic For Many, on the evening of Saturday, July 13th.
New This Week
- We mourn the passing of Richard Rubin.
- LifeScan issues recall of Verio IQ meter due to failures when blood glucose levels exceed 1024 mg/dl (56.8 mmol/L).
- Last week's poll asked readers how often they check blood sugars in the middle of the night. This week's poll asks readers if they are concerned about the accuracy of their blood glucose meter.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace, Second Edition by Betty Page Brackenridge, MS, RD, CDE & Richard R. Rubin, PhD, CDE.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
Our son, Bryce is 2 1/2 and was diagnosed at 9 months. Bryce has three friends in the neighborhood that all get together and play throughout the week. When Bryce needs a check, I go to him with the kit and he stops for a minute while we do our business. One day while waiting for the meter reading, I glanced up and his three friend were all standing their with their fingers out to be checked too! Talk about moral support!
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when the only thing worse than a substitute teacher is a substitute school nurse. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My teen son checks his blood sugar only once or twice a day, refuses to upload his numbers from the pump or get blood work, and will not discuss his diabetes with me. What should I do?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Question regarding insulin pen needle vs syringes
- Camps for kids with diabetes offer a great learning experience. We've updated our list of camps to help you find a camp near you.
- JDRF has a new Pregnancy Toolkit.
- EmPower Diabetes Emergency Plan includes checklists in both English and Spanish.
Studies and Surveys
- Researchers from Cambridge University Department of Paediatrics in the UK are looking for women with type 1 diabetes, ages 16-35, for help in a research study on estrogen and type 1 diabetes.
- Researchers from the University of Connecticut Health Center want to learn about dogs that help people with diabetes. You are invited to take part in this study if you have diabetes and have had a dog that can detect sugar levels.
Diabetes Blogs and Social Media
- On heaven, life and love.
- The Loss of a Giant in Wisdom, Humility, and Balance ... A Remembrance.
- Our Diabetic Life in drawings.
- I Have the Right. See also Feeling Frisky With The TSA. For more information about your rights during TSA screening, please see Travelers with Disabilities and Medical Conditions and Passengers with Diabetes.
- Faster Insulin: Short and Sweet.
- It's Always Complicated.
- First Impressions: The New Omnipod UST400.
- Hemoglobin A1C: The Action Figure!
- From the D-Notebook: JDRF Research Summit in Nation’s Capitol.
- Diabetes Hits Capitol Hill in Full Force.
- Type 1 Diabetes Rates Rising Across The World In Kids, But Reason Is Still A Mystery.
Products, Services and Books
- The 2013 Data Design Diabetes Innovation Challenge asks innovators to develop solutions that use or produce data for decision-making to help improve health outcomes for people living with diabetes. One winner will receive $100,000.
- Ignite: The Diabetes Ideas Challenge seeks a design concept for the next-generation disposable delivery device for insulin. The winning team receives $5,000.
- Tandem's t:connect™ Diabetes Management Application is now available. Works with both PC and Mac.
- Faster pharmacokinetics and increased patient acceptance of intradermal insulin delivery using a single hollow microneedle in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Circulating Vitamin D Metabolites and Subclinical Atherosclerosis in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Positron emission tomography measured cerebral blood flow and glucose metabolism are decreased in human type 1 diabetes.
- Protein intake in relation to risk of hypertension and microalbuminuria in patients with type 1 diabetes: the EURODIAB Prospective Complications Study.
- Baseline Markers of Inflammation Are Associated With Progression to Macroalbuminuria in Type 1 Diabetic Subjects.
- Factors associated with the presence of glutamic acid decarboxylase and islet antigen-2 autoantibodies in patients with long-standing type 1 diabetes.
- Marked Expansion of Exocrine and Endocrine Pancreas with Incretin Therapy in Humans with increased Exocrine Pancreas Dysplasia and the potential for Glucagon-producing Neuroendocrine Tumors.
- Transition From Pediatric to Adult Care for Youth Diagnosed With Type 1 Diabetes in Adolescence.
- Insulin pump therapy in children and adolescents: Changes in dietary habits, composition and quality of life.
- Large Pre- and Postexercise Rapid-Acting Insulin Reductions Preserves Glycemia and Prevents Early- but Not Late-Onset Hypoglycemia in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Health-related quality of life and treatment preferences in adolescents with type 1 diabetes. The VIPKIDS study.
- Severe Hypoglycemic Episodes: A Persistent Threat For Children With Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus And Their Families.
- Effect of dietary protein on post-prandial glucose in patients with type 1 diabetes.
- Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes: parental perceptions of child health and family functioning and their relationship to adolescent metabolic control.
- Adherence to Clinical Practice Guidelines in the Management of Children, Youth, and Young Adults with Type 1 Diabetes-A Prospective Population Cohort Study.
- Relation between energy intake and glycemic control in physically active young adults with type 1 diabetes.
- Accuracy assessment of online glucose monitoring by a subcutaneous enzymatic glucose sensor during exercise in patients with type 1 diabetes treated by continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion.
- Mortality in diabetes: pancreas transplantation is associated with significant survival benefit.
- Prevalence and related factors with the presence of albuminuria and its stages in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus (in Spain). Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Metabolic Effects of Chronic Cannabis Smoking.
- Increasing Incidence of Celiac Disease in a North American Population.
- Prevalence and natural history of potential celiac disease in adult patients.
- The PSC as screening tool for neurological and psychosocial problems in a pediatric cohort of patients with celiac disease.
- Gluten-sensitive enteropathy coincides with decreased capability of intestinal T cells to secrete IL-17 and IL-22 in a macaque model for celiac disease.
- 'Going gluten-free will NOT make you thin': Celiac disease sufferer on out-of-control diet trend almost a third of Americans follow.
- Miss International Hoboken conquers state and Celiac disease -- now heads to international stage.
- Coping with celiac disease.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Visionaries: One Harvard Scientist’s Quest To Find A Cure For His Kids.
- Student connecting diabetic teens.
- Woman with diabetes reaches out to kids.
- A Rookie Unheralded, Undrafted and Unfazed.
- Port Moody mom with diabetic daughter fearful over nursing support as her child starts kindergarten.
- Peasedown St John family back call over diabetes care for children.
- Young Diabetics Are Slimming Themselves to Death.
- Kimball in a race to conquer diabetes.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:47
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2017. Comments and Feedback.