Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2013 conference, to be held at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort from July 9-14, 2013. Note that sessions begin on Wednesday, July 10. Scholarships for families who have children with type 1, adults with type 1 or LADA and their families, and young adults with type 1, are available from the Diabetes Scholars Foundation.
Other Stories of Continuing Interest
- Applications for the 2013 Diabetes Scholars Foundation College Scholarships are now online. Applications must be received by May 15, 2013.
- Coming to Friends for Life: Orlando 2013? You can help the Diabetes Scholars Foundation by attending their fundraiser, Making Magic For Many, on the evening of Saturday, July 13th.
New This Week
- We report on CWD's Friends for Life UK 2013 conference, recently held at the Glasgow Marriott Hotel in Glasgow, Scotland.
- FDA Classifies Previous Field Action for Animas® 2020 Insulin Pump as Class I Recall.
- Last week's poll asked readers who have kids in a child care or before-school setting about who administers insulin. This week's poll asks readers what they think is the hardest part of diabetes.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Diabetes Through the Looking Glass: Seeing diabetes from your child's perspective by Dr Rachel Besser.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
After recently buying "Mary Poppins" on DVD, our 6 kids went around singing all the songs. Well, John, our pumping 5 year old son had to put his own twist on "A Spoonful of Sugar." His version goes:Just a bolus full of insulin makes my sugars come down,
sugars come down,
sugars come down.
In the most painless way!
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when in conversation, your husband describes his personality as Type 1 instead of Type A. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Is there any link between hypoglycemia and undiagnosed type 1 diabetes? After shoveling snow, my son "looked low," was 55 mg/dl [3.0 mmol/L] according to my daughter's meter. Should I be concerned or is this common in people after exercising?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Sleeping with a pump
- Camps for kids with diabetes offer a great learning experience. We've updated our list of camps to help you find a camp near you.
- Standardize TSA screenings for diabetic persons using wearable self-monitoring medical equipment.
Studies and Surveys
- Researchers from Cambridge University Department of Paediatrics in the UK are looking for women with type 1 diabetes, ages 16-35, for help in a research study on estrogen and type 1 diabetes.
- Researchers from the University of Connecticut Health Center want to learn about dogs that help people with diabetes. You are invited to take part in this study if you have diabetes and have had a dog that can detect sugar levels.
Diabetes Blogs and Social Media
- Anna is participating in the Beacon Hill Artificial Pancreas Study, run by Ed Damiano and his team at Boston University and Massachusetts General Hospital. She shares her experiences beginning at Day 1: Bionic Pancreas Study. You'll find links to subsequent days at the end of each article. You can learn more about and make a financial contribution to this program at Emma's Dream.
- I Held Hope In My Hands (The one were my daughter raises her hand and says “Let it be me”).
- I Held Hope in My Hands, Part 2 (the one with Anna, her Awesome Abs and the APP Trial).
- D-versaries 2 and 4: When lightning Strikes.
- Here. A Big, Ol' Glass of ....
- Insulin’s Little Helper: A New Pill for Type 1 Diabetes? See also Combs Labs Inc.
- Pump Peelz.
- Family psychological stress early in life and development of type 1 diabetes: The ABIS prospective study.
- Enteroviral pathogenesis of type 1 diabetes: queries and answers.
- Interleukin-1 antagonism in type 1 diabetes of recent onset: two multicentre, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trials.
- Multivariable Adaptive Closed-Loop Control of an Artificial Pancreas Without Meal and Activity Announcement.
- Generation of islet-like cells from mouse gall bladder by direct ex vivo reprogramming.
- Alteration of the thymic T cell repertoire by rotavirus infection is associated with delayed type 1 diabetes development in non-obese diabetic mice. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Immunotherapy with Tolerogenic Dendritic Cells Alone or in Combination with Rapamycin Does Not Reverse Diabetes in NOD Mice. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Review: Continuous glucose monitoring reduces HbA1c more than self-monitoring in type 1 diabetes.
- Disordered Eating Behaviors in Youth with Type 1 Diabetes: Prospective Pilot Assessment Following Initiation of Insulin Pump Therapy.
- A comparison of insulin detemir and neutral protamine Hagedorn (isophane) insulin in the treatment of diabetes: a systematic review.
- Does exercise improve glycaemic control in type 1 diabetes? A systematic review and meta-analysis. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Parental perspectives of diabetes management in alabama public schools.
- Parent-adolescent conflict, treatment adherence and glycemic control in Type 1 diabetes: The importance of adolescent externalising symptoms.
- 2 year followup of patients with diabetes mellitus nephropathy showing albuminuria reversal following angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors.
- The thrombophilic network of autoantibodies in celiac disease. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Rapid anti-transglutaminase assay and patient interview for monitoring dietary compliance in celiac disease.
- Gluten-free: What's all the fuss about?
- Gluten: 5 things you need to know.
- Make Gluten-Free Food Safe for Patients and Consumers.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Living with Type 1: A Family Story.
- Franchitti, Kimball and other Indy drivers join in the "Race with Insulin" cause .
- Diabetic Alert Dog Helps West Seneca Girl.
- Donations help Easton family afford medical assistance dog for 2-year-old diabetic son.
- Special Puppy Monitors Toddler's Blood Sugar.
- Dog Alerts Diabetic Boy When Blood Sugar Needs Testing.
- Standard of diabetes care leaves a lot to be desired in Ireland.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:47
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2016. Comments and Feedback.