Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2013 conference, to be held at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort from July 9-14, 2013. Note that sessions begin on Wednesday, July 10.
- Coming to Friends for Life: Orlando 2013? You can help the Diabetes Scholars Foundation by attending their fundraiser, Making Magic For Many, on the evening of Saturday, July 13th.
New This Week
- Changing Diabetes® in Children Ethiopia is a film about the challenge of living with type 1 diabetes in Ethiopia.
- Last week's poll asked readers when they last refilled their glucagon prescription. This week's poll asks readers if they have a diabetes emergency kit prepared.
- The Featured Book of the Week is My Life as a Pancreas: Reflections on Raising a Child with Diabetes by Priscilla Call Essert.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
Last week, Scott took Daniel and Jesse to Raceway Park in New Jersey to see drag racing, funny car races, etc. The other night, at about 11:15 pm, the house phone rings. I picked it up to hear Daniel say, "389." I said, "What did Jesse eat? Didn't the Navigator alarm? What's wrong?" I'm kind of panicky. Daniel laughed and said, "Ma, what are you talking about?" I said, "A blood sugar of 389 is nothing to laugh about!" My brilliant son said, "Ma, I don't know what you're talking about. But Dad just filled up your gas tank at $3.89 a gallon."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you go to tell the person in front of you that their pump tubing is hanging out, only to realize that it's the headphone wire connected to their iPod. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Newly diagnosed, our daughter's blood sugar was 250 mg/dl [13.9 mmol/L] at 11:30 p.m. We gave her two glasses of water. Should we do a correction or wait?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
BG changes of @50 - 75 pts an hour. Normal?
- How Much Practical Cure Research Do the Major Type 1 Non-Profits Fund? See also JDCA Report: Diabetes Research Spending Ignores Donors’ Desire for Practical Cure.
Studies and Surveys
- Going to Clara Barton Camp or Camp Joslin this summer? You can participate in the Bionic Pancreas Summer Camp Study and help bring the closed loop artificial pancreas to life.
- TrialNet is now offering an online and in-home screening process called Pathway 2 Prevention. Families of those living with type 1 diabetes are strongly encouraged to participate.
- Researchers from Palo Alto University want to hear the voices of siblings and parents of children with T1D to learn about the impact support has on their quality of life. Siblings 6-25 years are encouraged to participates, along with parents through either completing an online questionnaire or a Skype/in-person interview. For more information, email email@example.com or visit www.wix.com/diabeticstudy/2012.
- JDRF is running a Clinical Trials Survey and seeks input from parents of kids 18 or under with type 1 diabetes.
Diabetes Blogs and Social Media
- Our friends over at diaTribe (diatribe.org), a monthly newsletter about diabetes research and products, have just published a book with the ADA, Targeting a Cure for Type 1 Diabetes: How Long Will We Have to Wait? To celebrate publishing Targeting a Cure, diaTribe is giving away 30 eBook copies! You can enter the giveaway here.
- Spot Off.
- Islet Cell Transplant Progress May Lead to Type 1 Diabetes Cure.
- Serum concentrations of transforming growth factor-Beta 1 in predicting the occurrence of diabetic retinopathy in juvenile patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Hyperglycemia promotes myelopoiesis and impairs the resolution of atherosclerosis.
- Treatment of Diabetes and Diabetic Complications With a Ketogenic Diet.
- Calorimetric analysis of the plasma proteome: Identification of type 1 diabetes patients with early renal function decline.
- Renal Lesions Predict Progression of Diabetic Nephropathy in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Relation Between Ljungan Virus Antibodies, HLA-DQ8, and Insulin Autoantibodies in Newly Diagnosed Type 1 Diabetes Children. See also Ljungan virus is endemic in rodents in the UK.
- B Lymphocyte "Original Sin" in the Bone Marrow Enhances Islet Autoreactivity in Type 1 Diabetes-Prone Nonobese Diabetic Mice.
- Status and trends of diabetes in Chinese children: analysis of data from 14 medical centers.
- Rodent models for investigating the dysregulation of immune responses in type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Detecting intentional insulin omission for weight loss in girls with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Do high fasting glucose levels suggest nocturnal hypoglycaemia? The Somogyi effect-more fiction than fact?
- Pregnancy outcome and glycemic control in women with type 1 diabetes: A retrospective comparison between CSII and MDI treatment.
- A 7-year follow-up retrospective, international, multicenter study of insulin pump therapy in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Intense physical activity is associated with better metabolic control in patients with type 1 diabetes.
- Structural barriers to coping with type 1 diabetes mellitus in ghana: experiences of diabetic youth and their families. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Insulin Pump Therapy Provides Better Glycemic Control Among Type 1 Diabetics.
- Accuracy of Blood Glucose Meters Draws Scrutiny.
- Is dietitian use associated with celiac disease outcomes?
- Celiac Disease in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes: Screening and Diagnostic Practices.
- Gluten-Free Myths.
- What is gluten? And other frequently asked questions about gluten.
- Mom: Disney show 'Jessie' ridicules kids with celiac disease. See also Disney Channel Pulls an Episode that Laughs at The Gluten-Free Kid.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Peoria student represents Arizona at D.C. session on diabetes research.
- How to Manage Type 1 Diabetes As You Age.
- Diabetes service dog saves the day and night for Fort Worth teen.
- NFL Patriots release Kyle Love after diabetes diagnosis.
- Diabetes Research Institute Foundation President and CEO Robert A. Pearlman Stepping Down After 20 Years.
- Rhythm Announces Phase 1b Results for Ghrelin Prokinetic RM-131 for Gastroparesis in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:47
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2015. Comments and Feedback.