Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2013 conference, to be held at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort from July 9-14, 2013. Note that sessions begin on Wednesday, July 10. The room block is nearly full -- register and book your room soon if you plan to attend.
- Coming to Friends for Life: Orlando 2013? You can help the Diabetes Scholars Foundation by attending their fundraiser, Making Magic For Many, on the evening of Saturday, July 13th.
New This Week
- Social Media & The Monster Under the Bed: the Latest Thinking on Fearing vs. Embracing Social Media, a special event hosted by Partnering for Diabetes Change, will be webcast live on Wednesday, July 10th at 9:00 am Eastern from CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2013 conference.
- ANNOUNCING: The 2013 DiabetesMine Patient Voices Scholarship Contest.
- Last week's poll asked readers about their relationship to type 1 diabetes. This week's poll asks readers if they have their most recent basal rates, insulin-to-carb ratios, and correction factors written down.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Type 1 Diabetes in Children, Adolescents and Young Adults by Ragnar Hanas, M.D.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
We were walking along with some friends. My daughter Corie, age 12, dx at age 2, was wearing her insulin pump on her hip. I was holding hands with a younger child in the group (Cole age 6) who has a little thing for Corie. He saw the pump site. I asked him if he knew what it was. He replied, "Yes, that is where you plug her in for her energy."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your non-D child refers to all numbers as carbs - "I'm 3 carbs old!" See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My teenaged daughter's A1c is its highest. She often forgets to bolus and grazes a lot. Do all teens rebel against diabetes? How can I help her understand the importance of bolusing and a proper diet?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Pumping at a waterpark?
Studies and Surveys
- Going to Clara Barton Camp or Camp Joslin this summer? You can participate in the Bionic Pancreas Summer Camp Study and help bring the closed loop artificial pancreas to life.
- TrialNet is now offering an online and in-home screening process called Pathway 2 Prevention. Families of those living with type 1 diabetes are strongly encouraged to participate.
- Researchers from Palo Alto University want to hear the voices of siblings and parents of children with T1D to learn about the impact support has on their quality of life. Siblings 6-25 years are encouraged to participates, along with parents through either completing an online questionnaire or a Skype/in-person interview. For more information, email email@example.com or visit www.wix.com/diabeticstudy/2012.
Diabetes Blogs and Social Media
- Partnering for Diabetes Change.
- Romantic Tattoo: Man Gets Pre-Wedding Insulin Pump Ink To Honor His Diabetic Fiancée.
- A Sense of Normalcy at Diabetes Camp.
- Diabetic Fashionista.
- ‘Diabetes Monster’ App Actually Motivates!
- DiabetesMine Independent Again.
- Seroconversion to Multiple Islet Autoantibodies and Risk of Progression to Diabetes in Children. See also Markers of Beta-Cell Dysfunction Associated With High Rate of Progression to Type 1 Diabetes and Blood Test May Predict Type 1 Diabetes in Children.
- Intrafamilial spread of enterovirus infections at the clinical onset of type 1 diabetes.
- Variations in rodent models of type 1 diabetes: islet morphology. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- An early warning system for hypoglycemic/hyperglycemic events based on fusion of adaptive prediction models.
- Reduced Hypoglycemia and Increased Time in Target Using Closed-Loop Insulin Delivery During Nights With or Without Antecedent Afternoon Exercise in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Basal and Bolus Insulin Requirements in Children, Adolescents and Young Adults with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus on Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion (CSII): Effect of Age and Puberty.
- Self-Report of Hypoglycemia and Health-Related Quality of Life in Patients with Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes.
- Severe Hypoglycemia and Diabetic Ketoacidosis in Adults with Type 1 Diabetes: Results from the T1D Exchange Clinic Registry.
- Factors associated with diabetic ketoacidosis at onset of Type 1 diabetes in children and adolescents.
- Frequency and severity of ketoacidosis at onset of autoimmune type 1 diabetes over the past decade in children referred to a tertiary paediatric care centre: potential impact of a national programme highlighted.
- Acute Hypoglycemia Impairs Executive Cognitive Function in Adults With and Without Type 1 Diabetes.
- Real-time continuous glucose monitoring during labour and delivery in women with Type 1 diabetes-observations from a randomized controlled trial.
- Personal and Relationship Challenges of Adults With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Factors influencing the diabetes-specific health-related quality of life in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Dealing with the devil: weight loss concerns in young adult women with type 1 diabetes.
- Glucagon Underutilized Among Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus Patients in Japan.
- Long-term hemodynamic and molecular effects persist after discontinued renin-angiotensin system blockade in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Insulin bolusing software: the potential to optimize health outcomes in type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Telemedicine diabetes consultations are cost-effective, and effects on essential diabetes treatment parameters are similar to conventional treatment: 7-year results from the svendborg telemedicine diabetes project.
- Behavioral Health Care for Adolescents with Poorly Controlled Diabetes via Skype: Does Working Alliance Remain Intact?
- Resource Consumption and Costs of Treatment in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes under Intensified Conventional Therapy under German Real-Life Conditions.
- Effectiveness of a Spanish Language Clinic for Hispanic Youth with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Impact of glucose measurement processing delays on clinical accuracy and relevance.
- Health-related quality of life - using the 15D instrument - of young adults with type 1 diabetes since childhood. Population-based Oulu cohort study of diabetic retinopathy.
- Sexual Dysfunction as a Marker of Cardiovascular Disease in Males With 50 or More Years of Type 1 Diabetes.
- Inadequate Nutrient Intake in Patients with Celiac Disease: Results from a German Dietary Survey.
- Coeliac disease, gluten-free diet and the development and progression of albuminuria in children with type 1 diabetes.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Accuracy of Blood Glucose Meters Draws Scrutiny.
- Diabetes has been a part of my daughter’s life for a quarter-century.
- Tulsa 6th Grader To Talk To U.S. Congress About Type 1 Diabetes.
- Fifty years living with diabetes.
- Diabetes diagnosis came as shock to mum.
- Diabetes hasn’t slowed Alouettes’ Scott Paxson.
- Teenage health campaigner’s message to Parliament.
- 5-year-old finds mom unconscious calls 911.
- Silencing immune attacks in type 1 diabetes.
- Is a Type 1 Diabetes Cure Right Around the Corner?
- Becton, Dickinson and Co. : JDRF Extends Collaboration with BD to Develop Combined Infusion and Monitoring Products for People with Type 1 Diabetes.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:47
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2015. Comments and Feedback.