Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Cincinnati 2013, to be held at the Cincinnati Marriott North at Union Centre in West Chester, Ohio from December 6-8, 2013.
New This Week
- Accuracy of test strips in the US matters. Please do your part by writing your elected officials.
- NewsFlash: FDA Responds to StripSafely Campaign.
- Last week's poll asked parents if they have a 504 plan for their child at school. This week's poll asks our readers about who cares for their child with diabetes while their child is at school.
- The Featured Book of the Week is The Smart Woman's Guide to Diabetes by Amy Stockwell Mercer.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
Our 4-year-old son Willy, who was diagnosed when he was two, has been judging how low or high his blood sugar is feeling. One day I asked him if he was feeling like his blood sugar was low or high. He held his hand at his shoulder level and said, "I think it's about here."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your child practices her math facts using her MultiClix lancing device as a counter! See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
I have had diabetes about 30 years and am worried my children will get it. So, I checked my son's blood sugar when he was acting "off." It was actually low. How concerned should I be?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Dealing with D trash everywhere
Diabetes Blogs and Social Media
- The Friend for Life Award.
- Just Alone – Friends for Life.
- The Coolest Awards Show in Diabetes.
- Diabetes Art Day Special Edition: STRIP SAFELY.
- ‘The Human Trial’: Filming Diabetes Cure Research in Action.
- Meet College Diabetes Network: You’re Not Alone on Campus Anymore.
- Going Solo.
- The Artificial Pancreas Project: KC Takes a Place in History.
- Coxsackievirus B1 Is Associated With Induction of beta-Cell Autoimmunity That Portends Type 1 Diabetes.
- Determination of C-peptide in children: when is it useful?
- Effect of abatacept on immunogenicity of vaccines in individuals with type 1 diabetes.
- Key Protein Accelerates Diabetes in Two Ways.
- Heligmosomoides polygyrus infection reduces severity of type 1 diabetes induced by multiple low-dose streptozotocin in mice via STAT6- and IL-10-independent mechanisms.
- Diabetic Ketoacidosis at Diagnosis in Austrian Children: A Population-Based Analysis, 1989-2011.
- Time trends in mortality rates in type 1 diabetes from 2002 to 2011.
- Long-term outcome of insulin pump therapy in children with type 1 diabetes assessed in a large population-based case-control study.
- A contrast between children and adolescents with excellent and poor control: the T1D exchange clinic registry experience.
- Medical and psychological outcomes for young adults with Type 1 diabetes: no improvement despite recent advances in diabetes care.
- The Relationship Between Hemoglobin A1C in Youth With Type 1 Diabetes and Chaos in the Family Household.
- Effectiveness of Groups for Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus and Their Parents.
- Direct diabetes-related costs in young patients with early-onset, long-lasting type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Depression and adherence to treatment in diabetic children and adolescents: a systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies.
- Use of a web 2.0 portal to improve education and communication in young patients with families: randomized controlled trial. Free full text available in HTML format.
- Patients with Type 1 diabetes consuming alcoholic spirits have an increased risk of microvascular complications.
- Rationale Use of GLP-1 Receptor Agonists in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Renal glucose handling in diabetes and sodium glucose cotransporter 2 inhibition. Free full text available in HTML format.
- Type 1 diabetes and celiac disease: The effects of gluten free diet on metabolic control. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Burden of illness and use of health care services before and after celiac disease diagnosis in children.
- Potential New Mechanisms of Placental Damage in Celiac Disease: Anti-Transglutaminase Antibodies Impair Human Endometrial Angiogenesis. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Diagnostic accuracy of a new point-of-care screening assay for celiac disease. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- A novel serogenetic approach determines the community prevalence of celiac disease and informs improved diagnostic pathways. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Gluten Intolerant Chef Launches Weezie's Gluten-Free Bakery in Fort Lauderdale.
- New Approach to Celiac Testing Identifies More at Risk.
- Recent diet fad requires more than avoiding gluten.
Legal and Legislative
- Doctor Must Answer for Diabetic's Death in Jail .
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- New Reverse Vaccine Brings Hope as a Possible Type 1 Diabetes Treatment.
- Parents: Store policy discriminates against diabetics.
- Brantford native climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro.
- Center stage in diabetes battle.
- Diabetes awareness mission takes flight.
- Roughrider and Type 1 diabetic John Chick lives his football dream.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:48
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2015. Comments and Feedback.