Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Cincinnati 2013, to be held at the Cincinnati Marriott North at Union Centre in West Chester, Ohio from December 6-8, 2013.
Other Stories of Continuing Interest
- Accuracy of test strips in the US matters. Please do your part by writing your elected officials.
- Applications for the American Diabetes Association 2014 National Youth Advocate are due by September 20, 2013.
New This Week
- The American Diabetes Association has two new fact sheets to help people with diabetes understand the new state Health Insurance Marketplaces and health insurance rules that end diabetes-based discrimination.
- Kelly Close, editor of diaTribe, shares her thoughts on the importance of accuracy in glucose monitoring.
- Glucose Test Accuracy Concerns Prompting FDA Action. (Free Medscape membership required.)
- Last week's poll asked readers about where their child checks their glucose while at school. This week's poll asks our readers how often they think about diabetes during the day.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Raising Teens with Diabetes: A Survival Guide for Parents by Moira McCarthy.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My son was dressed and ready to go in the pool. He also had disconnected his insulin pump. He said, "Mom can you blow up my raft?" I replied, "Sure, honey go get the pump." He came outside with his insulin pump instead of the air pump. I couldn't stop laughing!
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you are watching a football game and report that your team is behind by 4 units and nobody thinks a thing of it. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Why does my daughter have low blood sugars if she has not needed insulin since the first week after her diagnosis seven months ago?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Common Invitees to 504 meeting?
- Pump Wear is once again sponsoring the Caring and Sharing Weekend, which offers a free weekend camping experience for families.
Diabetes Blogs and Social Media
- Wired Up – A Taste of Magic.
- A Call Not Made.
- The “Bionic Kids” Put the Artificial Pancreas Through the Rigors of Summer Camp.
- Brittle Diabetes: Outdated Term or Neglected Condition?
- Growing Up with Diabetes ... in Romania.
Products, Services and Books
- InsulinPumps.ca is a Canadian distributor of insulin pump supplies and diabetes management products.
- B-Lymphocyte Depletion with Rituximab and Beta-Cell Function: Two-Year Results.
- Prediction of Retinopathy at 20 Years After Onset in Younger-Onset Type 1 Diabetes Using Mean Metabolic Memory-Free HbA1c Values.
- Islet transplantation stabilizes hemostatic abnormalities and cerebral metabolism in individuals with type 1 diabetes.
- The Clinical Measures Associated with C-peptide Decline in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes over 15 Years. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Virus Antibody Survey in Different European Populations Indicates Risk Association Between Coxsackievirus B1 and Type 1 Diabetes.
- Impact of Glycemic Control on Heart Rate Variability in Youth with Type 1 Diabetes: The SEARCH CVD Study.
- An evaluation of heart rate variability and its modifying factors in children with type 1 diabetes.
- Small- and Large-Fiber Neuropathy After 40 Years of Type 1 Diabetes.
- The Cost-Effectiveness of Maturity-Onset Diabetes of the Young Genetic Testing – Translating Genomic Advances into Practical Health Applications.
- Feasibility of closed-loop insulin delivery in type 2 diabetes: a randomised controlled study.
- Time Lag of Glucose from Intravascular to Interstitial Compartment in Humans.
- Differences in the Management of Type 1 Diabetes Among Adults Under Excellent Control Compared With Those Under Poor Control in the T1D Exchange Clinic Registry.
- Changes in insulin therapy regimens over 10-yr in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes attending diabetes camps.
- Maternal vitamin d status in type 1 diabetic pregnancy: impact on neonatal vitamin d status and association with maternal glycaemic control.
- Frequency of Vaginal Candida Colonization and Relationship between Metabolic Parameters in Children with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Maternal depressive symptoms predict adolescent healthcare utilization and charges in youth with Type 1 diabetes (T1D).
- Caring for a Child With Type 1 Diabetes: Links Between Family Cohesion, Perceived Impact, and Parental Adjustment.
- Patterns and Predictors of Paternal Involvement in Early Adolescents' Type 1 Diabetes Management Over 3 Years.
- Parent-Child Relationships in Type 1 Diabetes: Associations Among Child Behavior, Parenting Behavior, and Pediatric Parenting Stress.
- The Rising Incidence of Celiac Disease in Scotland.
Legal and Legislative
- Parent files federal complaint against YMCA of the Triangle.
- NY school district says no to diabetes service dog. Your Comments on diabetic girl's service dog: 'Sounds like a neat Americans with Disabilities Act test case'.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Seconds to spare: father and son surge to dramatic Ironman Wisconsin finish.
- Diabetic Children Test Bionic Pancreas At Mass. Camp.
- Diabetic mother-of-two is kicked out of McDonald's for injecting herself with insulin after staff accused her of being on drugs.
- The Diabetes Experience - Will Pericak. See also Colorado's Will Pericak hopes to inspire others with Type 1 diabetes.
- Budget cuts force 6-year-old girl with diabetes to leave her school.
- Turning to Parasites as Potential Disease Fighters.
- Biodel's BIOD-123 Achieves Primary Endpoint in Phase 2 Clinical Trial Demonstrating Glycemic Control Comparable to Humalog(R).
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:48
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2015. Comments and Feedback.