Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Cincinnati 2013, to be held at the Cincinnati Marriott North at Union Centre in West Chester, Ohio from December 6-8, 2013. Faculty include Henry Anhalt, DO, Ed Damiano, PhD, Korey Hood, PhD, Jeremy Pettus, MD, Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD, CDE, Marissa Town, BSN, RN, Natalie Bellini, BSN, RN, CDE, and Gary Scheiner, MS, CDE, who was named AADE's 2013 Diabetes Educator of the Year.
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked readers about their satisfaction with their diabetes care regimen. This week's poll asks our readers what is most important in their glucose meter.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Diabetes Rising: How a Rare Disease Became a Modern Pandemic, and What to Do About It by Dan Hurley.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
On top of the cookies in the cookie jar is a paper with 6c. (6 Carbohydrates) each written on it. Upon returning from getting a cookie, my non-diabetic nephew says, "I don't have 6 cents to pay for each one of these cookies." My 5 year old diabetic son said, "It's carbs, not cents!"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when doing math homework, in response to the question "Name three things that you use in your home to measure with and draw a picture of it," your 6-year-old son writes "syringe" and painstakingly draws a picture of it. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Are weight loss/fat burning supplements safe for those with type 1? I am gaining weight since my diagnosis despite a healthy diet and exercise.
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
A1C Too Good For A Pump
- The Mental Health Issues of Diabetes Conference will be held from October 7-8, 2013 at the Rittenhouse Hotel, 210 West Rittenhouse Square, Philadelphia, PA.
- Marjorie’s Fund works to empower people living with type 1 diabetes in resource poor settings to not only survive their diagnosis, but to effectively control their diabetes and to thrive into adulthood. You can help by attending their November fundraising event in New York -- an evening with Billy Porter, Tony award winner and star of the Tony award-winning best musical "Kinky Boots." The event will be held on Monday, November 4, 2013 at Ashford & Simpson's Sugar Bar Restaurant & Lounge, 254 West 72nd Street, New York.
Studies and Surveys
- The University of Pennsylvania is inviting parents of children with diabetes to participate in a survey on perceptions and behaviors relating to severe hypoglycemia. By participating in this 10 minute survey, you will be contributing valuable information to a research project about a subject that is very important to the physical and psychological safety of children with diabetes. We are looking forward to learn about your experiences!
Diabetes Blogs and Social Media
- It's WAY too early to call this Insulin Pump an Artificial Pancreas.
- New Medtronic Device Gets FDA’s Nod, But Don’t Call It the Veo.
- Helping Children with Diabetes Gain Independence Part 1 and Helping Children with Diabetes Gain Independence Part 2 offer great guidance.
- Just for Parents: Raising Teens with Diabetes.
- A Simpler Approach To Treating Hypos.
- Injectable Hylenex May Boost Insulin Absorption.
- Autoimmunity: Why Good T Cells Go Bad.
- Diabetes, the Hygiene Hypothesis, and Worms.
- Diabetes and Telemedicine.
Products, Services and Books
- The Medtronic 530G with Enlite, the first insulin pump with automatic low glucose suspend, is now available in the US. See also Introducing the MiniMed 530G with Enlite.
- The Emerging Global Epidemic of Type 1 Diabetes.
- Increasing burden, younger age at onset and worst metabolic control in migrant than in Italian children with type 1 diabetes: an emerging problem in pediatric clinics.
- Do data in the literature indicate that glycaemic variability is a clinical problem? Glycaemic variability and vascular complications of diabetes..
- Embedding islet in a liquid scaffold increases islet viability and function.
- Increased circulating levels of betatrophin in individuals with long-standing type 1 diabetes.
- Pharmacokinetics of Insulin Aspart in Pump-Treated Subjects With Type 1 Diabetes: Reproducibility and Effect of Age, Weight, and Duration of Diabetes. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Social Deprivation a Key Factor in Mortality in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Does physical activity produce clinically significant changes during discontinuation of insulin pump in type 1 diabetic patients?
- The impact of anxiety and depression on patients within a large type 1 diabetes insulin pump population. An observational study.
- Treatment satisfaction and glycemic control in young Type 1 diabetic patients in transition from pediatric health care: CSII versus MDI.
- Goal Disturbance and Coping in Children with Type I Diabetes Mellitus: Relationships with Health-Related Quality of Life and A1C.
- Adolescents, parents and physicians: a comparison of perspectives on type 1 diabetes self-care.
- The lived experience of Canadian university students with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Microvascular complications in adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- A Nationwide Study of the Association Between Celiac Disease and the Risk of Autistic Spectrum Disorders.
- Immunoregulatory Pathways Are Active in the Small Intestinal Mucosa of Patients with Potential Celiac Disease.
- Anti-gliadin antibodies identify celiac patients overlooked by tissue transglutaminase antibodies. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Silencing of the sulfur rich alpha-gliadin storage protein family in wheat grains (Triticum aestivum L.) causes no unintended side-effects on other metabolites. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- The Rising Incidence of Celiac Disease in Scotland.
- Does Gluten Intake Influence the Development of Celiac Disease-associated Complications?
- Gene Expression Profile of Peripheral Blood Monocytes: A Step towards the Molecular Diagnosis of Celiac Disease? Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Non-celiac gluten sensitivity: the new frontier of gluten related disorders.
- Skipping birthday cake and other treats, when you’re a kid with celiac disease.
- Living gluten-free: New guidelines help those with celiac disease.
Legal and Legislative
- The American Association of Diabetes Educators has information about The Affordable Care Act and Individuals with Diabetes.
- Cutting costs now means stacking up problems for years to come.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Type Miscast: An Elmhurst Doctor's Type 2 Diabetes Misdiagnosis Results in the Death of a Six-Year-Old Girl.
- Sleepover Advice for Kids Coping With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Sugar Fix: A diabetic child spurs ENG prof’s race for a bionic pancreas.
- Special teddy bear could help kids cope with diabetes.
- Jackson pair doesn't let diabetes keep them off field.
- NASCAR driver drives to stop diabetes.
- More Eugene students with Type 1 diabetes.
- Medtronic Gains Approval of First Artificial Pancreas Device System with Threshold Suspend Automation.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:48
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2017. Comments and Feedback.