Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Cincinnati 2013, to be held at the Cincinnati Marriott North at Union Centre in West Chester, Ohio from December 6-8, 2013. Faculty include Henry Anhalt, DO, Ed Damiano, PhD, Korey Hood, PhD, Jeremy Pettus, MD, Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD, CDE, Marissa Town, BSN, RN, Natalie Bellini, BSN, RN, CDE, and Gary Scheiner, MS, CDE, who was named AADE's 2013 Diabetes Educator of the Year.
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked readers what is most important in their glucose meter. This week's poll asks our readers about their plans for Halloween.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Until There is a Cure: The Latest and Greatest in Diabetes Self-Care by Gary Scheiner, MS, CDE.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
Haley, now a proud 5 year old kindergartner, was sitting in music class after lunch, practicing songs for the school show when she looked up at the school nurse and said that she didn't feel very good and asked if she could be tested. We've been working on her developing language to describe how she feels when she's high/low, so the school nurse took her outside the music room and asked, "How is your blood sugar making you feel?" Haley's response: "It's telling me I don't like singing very much."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your son opens the car door at church and laughs because there's a test strip on the parking lot - and of course it's the type you use! See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My sons, ages 16 and 23, have type 1. Both want to participate in open water diving, but the endocrinologist will not sign off that my younger son can do this. What could we do? I do not want them to feel "disabled" by diabetes by not allowing them to do this.
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
For Newbies - Dealing with Halloween candy
Support and Advocacy
- AYUDA's summer 2014 Dominican Republic program applications are now live. Now offering Early Acceptance for applications completed by November 1, 2013. Please visit our application guide, or check out the program descriptions for Ganémosle and Campo Amigo. Find out when an AYUDA info session is coming to your town, and come join us to learn more! For more info contact Jon Stein, our Director of Volunteers.
Studies and Surveys
- The University of Pennsylvania is finishing data collection on its severe hypoglycemia survey this week. If you have a child with diabetes and haven't yet participated, please do so now – we are so close to reaching our goal!. Parents of children with diabetes are encouraged to participate in this 10 min survey. Thank you very much to all of our prior participants!
Diabetes in School
- Crystal Jackson, Director of the American Diabetes Association's Safe at School Campaign and CWD mom, will be presenting a Safe at School workshop for parents on Tuesday, November 5, 2013, 6:00 pm, at the Washington Nationals Diabetes Care Complex at Children's National Medical Center, 111 Michigan Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20010. For more information and to register please go to www.diabetes.org/safeatschooldc.
Diabetes Blogs and Social Media
- Four Years.
- Keeping It Real On Medtronic’s 530G.
- Why the Medtronic 530G is NOT an Artificial Pancreas.
- Screening for Type 1 Diabetes: What’s a Mom To Do?
- To The D-Mom I Just Saw in a Comment Thread....
- New National Conference on Mental Health & Diabetes!
- How CGM Re-Energized Patient Winner About Diabetes Tech.
- What Obamacare Feels Like to a Diabetic.
- Impact of C-Peptide Preservation on Metabolic and Clinical Outcomes in the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial.
- Hyperglycemia following recovery from hypoglycemia worsens endothelial damage and thrombosis activation in type 1 diabetes and in healthy controls.
- Non-invasive detection of microvascular changes in a paediatric and adolescent population with type 1 diabetes: a pilot cross-sectional study. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Comparative effects of prolonged and intermittent stimulation of the glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor on gastric emptying and glycaemia.
- Randomized Trial of Infusion Set Function: Steel Versus Teflon.
- Economic evaluation of continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion for children with diabetes - a pilot study: CSII application for children -- economic evaluation. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Real-Time Continuous Glucose Monitoring Significantly Reduces Severe Hypoglycemia in Hypoglycemia-Unaware Patients With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Effects of physical activity on the development and progression of microvascular complications in type 1 diabetes: retrospective analysis of the DCCT study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Needle-Free Jet Injection of Rapid-Acting Insulin Improves Early Postprandial Glucose Control in Patients With Diabetes.
- Glycemic control in young children with diabetes: The role of parental health literacy.
- Perspectives from Before and After the Pediatric to Adult Care Transition: A Mixed-Methods Study in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Problem Based Review: The patient who has taken an overdose of long-acting insulin analogue.
- Vitamin and Mineral Deficiencies Are Highly Prevalent in Newly Diagnosed Celiac Disease Patients.
- Evaluation of visual and taste preferences of some gluten-free commercial products in a group of celiac children.
- Feeding choices may raise babies' risk of coeliac disease.
Legal and Legislative
- Mom of diabetic Clark student calls school nurse shortage dangerous.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Sleepover Advice for Kids Coping With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Teen living with diabetes hopes to inspire others.
- Type 1 Diabetic marks one year as a firefighter.
- Two families push for attitude change toward a life threatening disease.
- Diabetes service dog not properly trained, dissatisfied in Virginia-based company. See also An Eighteen Thousand Dollar Journey of Hope, Puppies and "In Spite Of" and How to Punish Children and Puppies, While Making Money.
- Tandem Diabetes Care Files Registration Statement for Initial Public Offering.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:48
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2015. Comments and Feedback.