Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Orlando 2014, to be held at the Marriott World Center Resort in Orlando, Florida, from July 1-6, 2014. Conference registration is now open.
- The Diabetes Scholars Foundation is once again offering scholarships to CWD's Friends for Life Orlando 2014
- Coming to Friends for Life Orlando 2014? Please join your friends at the Diabetes Scholars Foundation's Party Polynesian Style Fundraiser.
- UK families are invited to CWD's Friends for Life UK 2014 conference, to be held at the Beaumont House, Old Windsor, Berkshire, from August 15-17, 2014. Beaumont House is accepting room reservations now, and conference registration will be online in February.
Other Stories of Continuing Interest
- Applications for College Scholarships from the Diabetes Scholars Foundation are now being accepted and must be received by April 15, 2014.
- Applications for the 2014 Students With Diabetes Internship Program are due by February 3, 2014.
New This Week
- Diabetes Art Day for 2014 is February 3, 2014. How will you participate?
- Last week's poll asked our readers about how much insulin they use each day. This week's poll asks our our readers how diabetes has impacted their sleep.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Ballerina Dreams by Zippora Karz.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
It was shortly before noon and my 6 year old told me that she felt low, so she grabbed her monitor and tested her blood sugar. She announced that her blood sugar was 33 so I panicked and grabbed a glucose tablet and juice box. After I juiced her up, I tested her again to see if her blood sugar had come up and the monitor now read "HI". I checked her previous reading and the monitor read "303". I guess in her little mind's eye it read 30 3. This will be a family favorite for years to come.
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your child is playing a video game and when the "life force" level starts running out she says "Oh no! I'm low" and then starts laughing hysterically and says "I need glucose tablets!" See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
How important is pre-bolusing?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Good source of glucose to keep in the car
- We've updated our list of diabetes camps to help you find a camp near you.
- Make plans to attend The JDRF TypeOneNation DC Research Summit, to be held at the Bethesda North Marriott on Saturday, March 1, 2014. Attendance is free.
Diabetes in School
- The American Diabetes Association and College Diabetes Network are hosting a webinar on Know Your Rights-for College Students with Diabetes on Wednesday, February 5, 2014, from 8:00-9:00 PM Eastern time.
General Diabetes Information
- FDA has prepared information about sharps disposal, including a Be Smart with Sharps flyer.
Diabetes Blogs and Social Media
- What It's Really Like to Have a Child With Type 1 Diabetes.
- The C word.
- Diabetes Complications & Judging One Another.
- The 25 Most Awkward Times To Be A Type 1 Diabetic.
- S**T Happens, So Does Hypoglycemia.
- FDA'S New Guidance on Blood Glucose Test Strips.
- Life Of A 2-Year-Old With Type 1.
- Phantom Pump Sites.
- FDA on Diabetes Innovation: Tackling Accuracy & Interoperability Challenges.
- How It Might Look.
- How I Learned to Breathe.
- Messing Up.
- The effect of childhood cow's milk intake and HLA-DR genotype on risk of islet autoimmunity and type 1 diabetes: The Diabetes Autoimmunity Study in the Young.
- Consumption of Acidic Water Alters the Gut Microbiome and Decreases the Risk of Diabetes in NOD Mice. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Fecal microbiota imbalance in Mexican children with type 1 diabetes.. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- The PILGRIM Study: In Silico Modeling of a Predictive Low Glucose Management System and Feasibility in Youth with Type 1 Diabetes During Exercise.
- The Effects of Lowering Nighttime and Breakfast Glucose Levels with Sensor-Augmented Pump Therapy on Hemoglobin A1c Levels in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Carbohydrate counting with an automated bolus calculator helps to improve glycaemic control in children with type 1 diabetes using multiple daily injection therapy: An 18-month observational study.
- Comparison of the Expectations of Caregivers and Children with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus for Independence in Diabetes Care-Related Tasks.
- Everyday living with diabetes described by family members of adult people with type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Type 1 diabetes patients' experiences of, and need for, social support after attending a structured education programme: a qualitative longitudinal investigation.
- Aerobic Fitness and Glycemic Variability in Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Fitness and physical activity in youth with type 1 diabetes mellitus in good or poor glycemic control.
- Prevalence of systolic and diastolic dysfunction in patients with type 1 diabetes without known heart disease: the Thousand & 1 Study.
- Healthcare Transition from Pediatric to Adult Medical Homes in Diabetes Mellitus.
- Association Between Glycated Hemoglobin and Health Utility for Type 1 Diabetes.
- Healthcare Costs and Adherence Associated with Human Regular U-500 Versus high-dose U-100 Insulin in Patients with Diabetes.
- Health-related quality of life in children and adolescents with celiac disease: patient-driven data from focus group interviews.
- Long-standing type 1 diabetes: patients with adult-onset develop celiac-specific immunoreactivity more frequently than patients with childhood-onset diabetes, in a disease duration-dependent manner.
- Celiac disease and overweight in children: an update.
- Gastrointestinal Effects of Eating Quinoa (Chenopodium quinoa Willd.) in Celiac Patients. See also Quinoa does not cause celiac problems.
Legal and Legislative
- Kentucky House passes bill that would allow trained staff to give students insulin shots.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Olympic Skier Kris Freeman Goes for Gold With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Illness fires entrepreneur's interest in synthetic biology.
- Rising hockey star Jordan DePape inspires diabetic kids.
- Joyce, former Ray Fuld holding area camps.
- MP battles for diabetics' aid.
- End of the diabetes jab? New insulin implant controls blood glucose levels without injections.
- Failings led to death of homeless teenager with type 1 diabetes.
- Asante and Tidepool form the first partnership to bring insulin pump data to an open source platform.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:49
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2015. Comments and Feedback.