Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Orlando 2014, to be held at the Marriott World Center Resort in Orlando, Florida, from July 1-6, 2014. Conference registration is now open.
- The Diabetes Scholars Foundation is once again offering scholarships to CWD's Friends for Life Orlando 2014
- Coming to Friends for Life Orlando 2014? Please join your friends at the Diabetes Scholars Foundation's Party Polynesian Style Fundraiser.
- Registration has closed for CWD's Friends for Life UK 2014 conference, to be held at the Beaumont House, Old Windsor, Berkshire, from August 15-17, 2014.
Other Stories of Continuing Interest
- Applications for College Scholarships from the Diabetes Scholars Foundation are now being accepted and must be received by April 15, 2014.
New This Week
- This year's Spare a Rose, Save a Child raised $26,519 from 824 donations for IDF's Life for a Child program. If you'd like to help next year, please let us know.
- Last week's poll asked our readers who use insulin pumps how often they change their infusion set. This week's poll asks our readers how they dispose of sharps at home.
- The Featured Book of the Week is My Life as a Pancreas: Reflections on Raising a Child with Diabetes by Priscilla Call Essert.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My two-year-old son was taking a bath and pretending to drink from a cup. He then handed the cup to me and said, "Do you want a drink mommy. It's got no sugar and no carbs."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your 16-year-old child with diabetes decides to leave syringes and Lantus out for Santa and his reindeer. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
After an initial diagnosis of type 1, our daughter was re-diagnosed with MODY4 and switched from insulin to glyburide. Her control is excellent. Could she still have type 1 and is achieving good control because she is in her honeymoon?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Science teacher called Hana out on what she was eating
- We've updated our list of diabetes camps to help you find a camp near you.
- Make plans to attend The JDRF TypeOneNation DC Research Summit, to be held at the Bethesda North Marriott on Saturday, March 1, 2014. Attendance is free.
- Diabetes Sisters 2014 Weekend for Women will be held from April 25-27, 2014 at the Embassy Suites Alexandria Hotel in Alexandria, Virginia.
- MyCareConnect BlueLoop for Kids with Chronic Conditions and Their Caregivers seeks your funding help to ensure that it can continue to deliver its innovative service to families living with type 1 diabetes.
Studies and Surveys
- A clinical study for a new needle-free glucagon for treatment of severe hypoglycemia in children is being conducted at several centers in the US. If you are interested in learning more about this study, please visit clinicaltrials.gov.
- The TrialNet Pathway to Prevention Study offers screening at no charge to relatives of people with type 1 diabetes. The screening can identify risk for type 1 diabetes years before symptoms appear. Those at increased risk may be able to join research studies testing ways to prevent the disease. Others can continue to be monitored for the earliest signs of type 1 diabetes, which can prevent serious symptoms. To find a TrialNet location, request a test kit, or learn more, visit DiabetesTrialNet.org.
- Parents of Children and Teenagers Between Ages 8-16 with Type 1 Diabetes for at least six months are needed to Participate in a Study on the relationship between any parental stress in caring for a child with Type 1 Diabetes.
Diabetes Blogs and Social Media
- Suitable for Diabetics â€“ By Olly Double.
- Guest Post: Crusading for CGM Coverage.
- Guest Post: How the MiniMed 530G Changed My Diabetes Management (Without Ever Even Seeing it in Person).
- Walking a Mile in Joeâ€™s Diabetes Shoes (with an eBook Giveaway).
- Conversations about Diabetes.
- Islet Transplantation: On the Verge of Mainstream?
- Sharpening My Routine on Trashing Used Diabetes Supplies.
Products, Services and Books
- Cellnovo launches first mobile diabetes management system.
- Medtronic i-port Advance Injection Port Now Available for U.S. Diabetics on Insulin.
- Innate immune activity is detected prior to seroconversion in children with HLA-conferred type 1 diabetes susceptibility.
- Treatment of new onset type 1 diabetes with teplizumab : successes and pitfalls in development.
- Localizing Functional Damage in the Neural Retina of Adolescents and Young Adults with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Balancing Parental Involvement With Adolescent Friendly Health Care in Teenagers With Diabetes: Are We Getting It Right?
- Cognitive functioning in young children with type 1 diabetes.
- Intensive glucose control versus conventional glucose control for type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Severe hypoglycaemia and its association with psychological well-being in Australian adults with type 1 diabetes attending specialist tertiary clinics.
- Diabetes Education: the Experiences of Young Adults with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Low bone mineral density is associated to poor glycemic control and increased OPG expression in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- The Efficiency of Telemedicine to Optimize Metabolic Control in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus: Telemed Study.
- Effect of gluten free diet on immune response to gliadin in patients with non-celiac gluten sensitivity. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Follow-up of pediatric celiac disease: value of antibodies in predicting mucosal healing, a prospective cohort study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Early Microbial Markers of Celiac Disease.
- Gluten and wheat intolerance today: are modern wheat strains involved?
- Lacking Data, Physicians Attempt To Manage Non-Celiac Gluten SensitivityLacking Data, Physicians Attempt To Manage Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity.
- A Big Bet on Gluten-Free.
- Why going gluten free doesn't have to ruin travel.
- Alba Therapeutics Announces Positive Results of Phase IIb Trial in Celiac Disease.
Legal and Legislative
- Thatcham mother backs diabetes care in school campaign.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Bionic pancreas redefines life for diabetic.
- Peasedown St John mother supports call for better school care for diabetic children.
- Diabetic PE teacher Chris Phillips from Charlestown to compete in triathalon for Diabetes UK.
- Birkie Fever: Skiing with type 1 diabetes.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:49
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2017. Comments and Feedback.