Of Continuing Interest
- CWD's Friends for Life Orlando 2014 will be held at the Marriott World Center Resort in Orlando, Florida, from July 1-6, 2014.
- If you are coming to Friends for Life Orlando 2014 and are interested in diabetes advocacy, consider signing up for the MasterLab Diabetes Advocates all-day diabetes advocacy summit. Registered participants in FFL can register for the MasterLab for FREE using the discount code FFL2014.
- Pump trials, TrialNet screening, celiac screening, and retinal screening are available at Friends for Life 2014.
- Coming to Friends for Life Orlando 2014? Please join your friends at the Diabetes Scholars Foundation's Party Polynesian Style Fundraiser.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Anaheim 2014 conference, to be held at the Disneyland Hotel in Anaheim, California, from October 24-26, 2014.
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked our readers when they last refilled their glucagon prescription. This week's poll asks our readers if they have a diabetes emergency kit prepared.
- The Featured Book of the Week is The Discovery of Insulin by Michael Bliss.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
When my daughter was in kindergarten one of her classmates told his mom, "Noelle has to go the health office all the time." When she asked him why, he said, "Because she is diabolical." Of course, she knew what he meant. We still call her our diabolical diabetic.
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you no longer say it's time for dinner -- instead you yell to everyone that it's time to check blood sugars. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My daughter is losing hair at the scalp. What could be causing this? She takes Humalog and Synthroid. She was ill recently, too.
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
CGM during surgery?
Studies and Surveys
- CWD readers are invited to participate in a survey on new insulin pump concepts being conducted by a diabetes-focused research company. Participants must be either using an insulin pump or on multiple daily injections of insulin. As a token of their appreciation, the research company will be making a donation to the online diabetes community of your choice. Please see the survey for more information.
Diabetes in School
- Pennsylvania School Diabetes Care Legislation Now Pending - Legislation that would allow for school staff to be trained to help with routine or emergency care when the school nurse is not present is pending in the legislature. If you would like additional information or would like to be involved, please contact Crystal Jackson at the American Diabetes Association at email@example.com.
Diabetes Blogs and Social Media
- Not Thinking About It â€“ By Olly Double.
- What diabetes is REALLY about.
- Diabetes Camp: Why Itâ€™s Really Good for Parents.
- Should I Screen My Child for Type 1 Diabetes and Celiac Disease?
- Functionally Low.
- Is Glucagon Ready for Primetime?
- 33 Countries Commit to Addressing Psychosocial Side of Diabetes Care (!)
- A Kid Wonders Why She Has A Disease — Until Her Answer Appears Out Of Thin Air.
- Reduced morbidity at diagnosis and improved glycemic control in children previously enrolled in DiPiS follow-up.
- Reduction in CD4 Central Memory T-cell subset in Co-Stimulation Modulator Abatacept-Treated Patients with Recent-Onset Type 1 Diabetes is Associated with Slower C-Peptide Decline.
- Unraveling the contribution of pancreatic beta-cell suicide in autoimmune type 1 diabetes.
- Gut Dysbiosis and Detection of â€śLive Gut Bacteriaâ€ť in Blood of Japanese Patients With Type 2 Diabetes.
- Alcohol health literacy in young adults with Type 1 diabetes and its impact on diabetes management.
- Hypoglycaemia symptoms and impaired awareness of hypoglycaemia in adults with Type 1 diabetes: the association with diabetes duration.
- Prevalence of overweight, obesity and metabolic syndrome components in children, adolescents and young adults with type 1 diabetes.
- Association Between Diabetic Ketoacidosis Hospitalizations and Driving Distance to Outpatient Diabetes Centres in Adults With Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Polypharmacy in people with Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes is justified by current guidelines-a comprehensive assessment of drug prescriptions in patients needing inpatient treatment for diabetes-associated problems.
- Daily energy expenditure, cardiorespiratory fitness and glycaemic control in people with type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Geographic trends and risk of gastrointestinal cancer among patients with celiac disease in Europe and Asian-Pacific region. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Gluten-free is not enough - perception and suggestions of celiac consumers.
- A pediatric case of gluten sensitivity with severe neurological presentation.
- Gluten-free brewery goes against the grain.
- 7th-grader organizes 5K to benefit celiac disease.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- People With Chronic Illness Fare Worse Under Cost-Sharing.
- Ealing diabetes sufferer to tackle Kilimanjaro.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:50
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2016. Comments and Feedback.