Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life Falls Church 2016, to be held at the Fairview Park Marriott in Falls Church, Virginia, from Friday, April 8th, through Sunday, April 10th, 2016.
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life Orlando 2016, to be held at the Orlando World Center Marriott in Orlando, Florida, from Tuesday, July 5th, through Sunday, July 10th, 2016. Scholarships for families, young adults, and adults are available from the Diabetes Scholars Foundation.
Other Stories of Continuing Interest
- Applications for the 2016 Diabetes Scholars Foundation College Scholarships are now online.
New This Week
- It's once again time to Spare a Rose, Save a Child. Your donations bring life-saving insulin and diabetes care products to over 15,000 children with type 1 diabetes in 48 under resourced countries through the IDF's Life for a Child program.
- In Ranting in 2016: A Medical System in Crisis, Dr. Irl Hirsch shares some of the challenges faced by providers trying to care for people with diabetes.
- Last week's poll asked readers how often they worry about nighttime hypoglycemia This week's poll asks readers if diabetes has changed how well they sleep.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Breakthrough: Elizabeth Hughes, the Discovery of Insulin, and the Making of a Medical Miracle by Thea Cooper and Arthur Ainsberg.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
I just started teaching kindergarten. Since my 10-year-old son is a diabetic, the school decided to have a new student with diabetes in my class. Thing were going fine until the student decided to EAT part of a crayon and taste the glue. I looked at him and said, "Sweetie, please don't eat the art supplies. I don't know how to count the carbs for them!"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your husband names his internet gaming character "Lancet." See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Diagnosed 15 years ago, my adult daughter has been hospitalized over 35 times for DKA, seizures, and lows. How can we help ease her suffering?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Firefighter / EMT Career?
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- PERL (Preventing Early Renal Loss in Diabetes) is a clinical trial for people with type 1 diabetes who have early signs of kidney problems. The goal is to test a new way to reduce loss of kidney function using a safe and inexpensive medicine. We are seeking adults (age 18 or older) with type 1 diabetes to participate in our study. Please sign up if you are eligible.
- Teens with T1D: Considering the insulin pump or CGM? You're needed in a new study. Learn more at https://apps.nemoursresearch.org/redcap/surveys/?s=ALNAPAR7T7
Diabetes Care Products and Apps
- Freestyle Libre For Children - Review 2016.
Diabetes in Social Media
- Bigfoot Biomedical Reveals Its Automated Insulin Delivery System.
- The NASA engineer taking on the "rocket science" of diabetes.
- How We Talk About Diabetes Matters.
- Beyond Type 1: Beyond Compare.
- 33 things I've learned in 33 years with diabete.
- The Amazing Race -- How Diabetes Didn't Stop Her.
- Choosing Injections + CGM: A Personal Diabetes Path.
- Florida Triathlete Champions Type 1 Screening Bill.
- Long-term glycemic control using polymer-encapsulated human stem cellÔÇôderived beta cells in immune-competent mice. See also Potential diabetes treatment advances and No more insulin injections?
- The Effects of Empagliflozin, an SGLT2 Inhibitor, on Pancreatic ╬▓-Cell Mass and Glucose Homeostasis in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Effect of Vitamins C and E on Endothelial Function in Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Life expectancy of type 1 diabetic patients during 1997-2010: a national Australian registry-based cohort study.
- Continuous Glucose Monitoring, Future Products, and Update on Worldwide Artificial Pancreas Projects.
- Hypomethylation within gene promoter regions and type 1 diabetes in discordant monozygotic twins.
- Viral vector mediated continuous expression of interleukin-10 in DRG alleviates pain in type 1 diabetic animals.
- Initiation of insulin pump therapy in children at diagnosis of type 1 diabetes resulted in improved long-term glycemic control.
- Type 1 diabetes through two lenses: comparing adolescent and parental perspectives with photovoice. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Use of Glucose Rate of Change Arrows to Adjust Insulin Therapy Among Individuals with Type 1 Diabetes Who Use Continuous Glucose Monitoring.
- Pharmacokinetic and prandial pharmacodynamic properties of insulin degludec/insulin aspart in children, adolescents, and adults with type 1 diabetes.
- Impact of a pioneer diabetes camp experience on glycemic control among children and adolescents living with type 1 diabetes in sub-Saharan Africa. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Racial differences in neighborhood disadvantage, inflammation and metabolic control in black and white pediatric type 1 diabetes patients.
- Young people with Type 1 diabetes of non-white ethnicity and lower socio-economic status have poorer glycaemic control in England and Wales.
- Effectiveness of the Low Glucose Suspend Feature of Insulin Pump During Fasting in Ramadan in Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Longitudinal Evaluation of Cognitive Functioning in Young Children with Type 1 Diabetes over 18 Months.
- High Frequency of Diabetic Ketoacidosis in Children with Newly Diagnosed Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Subcutaneous rapid-acting insulin analogues for diabetic ketoacidosis.
- Performance of two updated blood glucose monitoring systems: An evaluation following ISO 15197:2013.
- Continuous Glucose Monitoring: A Review of Successes, Challenges, and Opportunities.
- Contemporary celiac disease diagnosis: is a biopsy avoidable?
- Celiac Disease and Drug-Based Therapies: Inquiry into Patients Demands.
- Serologic testing in celiac disease: Practical guide for clinicians. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Risks of hospitalization and drug consumption in children and young adults with diagnosed celiac disease and the role of maternal education: a population-based matched birth cohort study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- The urinary inflammatory profile in gluten free diet-adherent adolescents with type 1 diabetes and celiac disease.
Legal and Legislative
- Raise awareness of the symptoms of Type 1 diabetes in the UK.
- Diabetic's mom seeks ruling against school.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- What's Your Type? With Diabetes, It Can Be Unclear.
- How Playing With Jerry The Bear Changes Kids' Lives.
- Celebrating 50 years, a local man's diabetic journey.
- U.S. FDA Accepts Filing of Cardiovascular Outcomes Data for Jardiance┬« (empagliflozin).
|Receive the What's New page via E-mail|
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Wednesday January 27, 2016 21:15:14
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.