Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life Falls Church 2016
April 8-10, 2016
Fairview Park Marriott
Falls Church, Virginia
Friends for Life Orlando 2016
July 5-10, 2016
Orlando World Center Marriott
DSF Family and Individual Scholarships
Friends for Life Anaheim 2016
September 16-18, 2016, 2016
Of Continuing Interest
- Applications for the 2016 Diabetes Scholars Foundation College Scholarships are now online.
- Type 1 Diabetes Counselor/Assistant Needed For All Girls Camp in the Berkshires.
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked our readers if they are concerned about the accuracy of their blood glucose meter. This week's poll asks our readers how often they or their child has had a low glucose related seizure.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Diabetes Burnout: What To Do When You Can't Take It Anymore by William Polonsky, PhD.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My 3 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 last year. We became involved with the JDRF walk/fundraiser. After the walk, when we had to check her blood sugar and give her insulin before lunch she looked very confused and proceeded to explain to us that it was no longer necessary to do these things because we had just "walked to cure diabetes."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when the stray dog who has parked himself on your deck has only been there 10 minutes and already has a test strip attached to his fur! See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Recently diagnosed, my teen son has experienced elevated blood sugars at the start of cross country races. Should he do a corrective dose?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Daycare and general lifestyle questions
- We've updated our list of diabetes camps to help you find a summer camp near you.
Conferences and Events
- The Diabetes Research and Wellness Foundation is hosting a one-day educational event on Saturday, April 9, 2016, entitled Transplantation: An option to explore transplantation for people living with diabetes.
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- Teens with T1D: Considering the insulin pump or CGM? You're needed in a new study about shared decision making with your parents. Learn more at https://apps.nemoursresearch.org/redcap/surveys/?s=ALNAPAR7T7
- Parents of Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes are invited to participate in a survey on teen risk behaviors being run by researchers at Boston Children's Hospital and Harvard University.
- PERL (Preventing Early Renal Loss in Diabetes) is a clinical trial for people with type 1 diabetes who have early signs of kidney problems. The goal is to test a new way to reduce loss of kidney function using a safe and inexpensive medicine. We are seeking adults (age 18 or older) with type 1 diabetes to participate in our study. Please sign up if you are eligible.
Diabetes in Social Media
- Scholarships for Young Minds with Type 1.
- JDRF nPOD Conference Highlights Innovation in Prevention and Cure Research.
- Growth and risk for islet autoimmunity and progression to type 1 diabetes in early childhood: The Environmental Determinants of Diabetes in the Young Study.
- Commonly Measured Clinical Variables Are Not Associated With Burden of Complications in Long-standing Type 1 Diabetes: Results From the Canadian Study of Longevity in Diabetes.
- Silicon nanopore membrane (SNM) for islet encapsulation and immunoisolation under convective transport. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Life and death of ╬▓ cells in Type 1 diabetes: A comprehensive review.
- Organ-specific autoimmunity in relation to clinical characteristics in children with long-lasting type 1 diabetes.
- Genetic predisposition for beta cell fragility underlies type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
- Psychological Reactions Associated With Continuous Glucose Monitoring in Youth. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Effects of Sleep Deprivation on Hypoglycemia-Induced Cognitive Impairment and Recovery in Adults With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Insulin delivery methods: Past, present and future. Free full text available in HTML format.
- Work-related diabetes distress among Finnish workers with type 1 diabetes: a national cross-sectional survey. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- What is important for you? A qualitative interview study of living with diabetes and experiences of diabetes care to establish a basis for a tailored Patient-Reported Outcome Measure for the Swedish National Diabetes Register. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Physical Activity, Sedentary Behaviors, and Retinal Vascular Caliber in Children and Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Subcutaneous regular insulin for the treatment of diabetic ketoacidosis in children.
- Double-diabetes in a real-world sample of 2711 individuals: associated with insulin treatment or part of the heterogeneity of type 1 diabetes? Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Higher Risk of Thyroid Disorders in Young Patients with Type 1 Diabetes: A 12-Year Nationwide, Population-Based, Retrospective Cohort Study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Impact of maternal diabetes type 1 on proliferative potential, differentiation and apoptotic activity in villous capillaries of term placenta.
- Identification of Non-HLA Genes Associated with Celiac Disease and Country-Specific Differences in a Large, International Pediatric Cohort. Free full text available in HTML and PDF via link.
- Prevalence of celiac disease among the Iranian population: A systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies.
- Effective Identification of Low-Gliadin Wheat Lines by Near Infrared Spectroscopy (NIRS): Implications for the Development and Analysis of Foodstuffs Suitable for Celiac Patients.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Trial aims to 'stall' type 1 diabetes. See also Type 1 diabetes trials give hope for 'more normal life'.
- Diabetic toddler raises awareness of Type 1 diabetes.
- Nashville judge doesn't let type 1 diabetes hold her back.
- McManaman: Diabetes hasn't been able to slow down Indy driver Charlie Kimball.
- Beckman's Caitlin Kennedy learns to thrive with diabetes.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Wednesday March 30, 2016 15:03:16
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2017. Comments and Feedback.