Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life® Anaheim 2016
September 16-18, 2016, 2016
Of Continuing Interest
- Suspend Medicare's Dangerous Competitive Bidding Program for Diabetes Testing Supplies. This is very important.
- Many thanks to Dexcom for including Children with Diabetes in their 10 Year Anniversary giving program.
New This Week
- Friends for Life Orlando 2016 is over. We'll have a report and photos online in the coming weeks.
- A First-Timer's View of the Friends For Life Diabetes Fest.
- Itâ€™s about the people.
- Sign diaTribe's Letter to the FDA Supporting Use of Dexcom CGM for Making Treatment Decisions - Due By Today, July 13.
- Last week's poll asked our readers how they usually check for ketones. This week's poll asks readers if they experience a financial burden paying for diabetes care supplies.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Gluten Freedom by Alessio Fasano, MD.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
I received a little reminder of my daughter away at college: One rainy morning I grabbed a different umbrella on my way to work. As I released the fastener in preparation for opening it in the parking garage elevator, three test strips fell on the floor.
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you use EMLA on your eyebrows before you tweeze them. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
I have had diabetes about 30 years and am worried my children will get it. So, I checked my son's blood sugar when he was acting "off." It was actually low. How concerned should I be?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Prebolusing below 100
- Recurrent Diabetic Ketoacidosis Raises Mortality Risk in T1D.
Diabetes in School
- The American Diabetes Association is offering a free back-to-school webinar on July 21 at 2 pm (ET). From developing written care plans to learning about your childâ€™s federal and state legal protections in the school setting, this webinar will cover vital information for the upcoming school year. Register at www.diabetes.org/cwdsas.
Diabetes in Social Media
- The Health Insurance Landscape in the 21st Century: How Does Policy Affect People with Diabetes?
- ConnecT1D Retreat.
- Switching From an Insulin Pump to Injections: Itâ€™s Almost Like Freedom.
- Why Do Finns Have a Higher Risk of Type 1 Than Russians?
- Talk About Diabulimia, But Donâ€™t Teach It.
- How Much Is Short-Term Glucose Prediction in Type 1 Diabetes Improved by Adding Insulin Delivery and Meal Content Information to CGM Data? A Proof-of-Concept Study.
- Cerebral blood flow response to hypoglycemia is altered in patients with type 1 diabetes and impaired awareness of hypoglycemia.
- High-dose atorvastatin is associated with lower IGF-1 levels in patients with type 1 diabetes.
- Potential beneficial effects of a gluten-free diet in newly diagnosed children with type 1 diabetes: a pilot study.
- The evolving role of bariatric surgery in patients with type 1 diabetes and obesity.
- Mortality in Type 1 Diabetes in the DCCT/EDIC Versus the General Population.
- A Population-Based Study of All-Cause Mortality and Cardiovascular Disease in Association With Prior History of Hypoglycemia Among Patients With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Insulin Injection Into Lipohypertrophic Tissue: Blunted and More Variable Insulin Absorption and Action, and Impaired Postprandial Glucose Control.
- Carbohydrate Counting at Meal Time Followed by a Small Secondary Postprandial Bolus Injection at 3 Hours Prevents Late Hyperglycemia, Without Hypoglycemia, After a High-Carbohydrate, High-Fat Meal in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Optimized Mealtime Insulin Dosing for Fat and Protein in Type 1 Diabetes: Application of a Model-Based Approach to Derive Insulin Doses for Open-Loop Diabetes Management.
- 20 Years of insulin lispro in pediatric type 1 diabetes: a review of available evidence.
- Do youth with type 1 diabetes exercise safely? A focus on patient practices and glycemic outcomes.
- Disturbed eating behaviors in adolescents with type 1 diabetes. How to screen for yellow flags in clinical practice?
- Effectiveness of Shared Medical Appointments Versus Traditional Clinic Visits for Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Adherence to Insulin Pump Behaviors in Young Children With Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus: Opportunities for Intervention.
- Sexual lifestyle among young adults with type 1 diabetes.
- A Randomized Clinical Trial Comparing Basal Insulin Peglispro and Insulin Glargine, in Combination with Prandial insulin Lispro, in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes: IMAGINE 1.
- Similar HbA1c Reduction and Hypoglycaemia with Variable- Vs Fixed-Time Dosing of Basal Insulin Peglispro (BIL) in Type 1 Diabetes: IMAGINE 7 Study.
- Characterizing Gestational Weight Gain According to Institute of Medicine Guidelines in Women with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus: Association with Maternal and Perinatal Outcome.
- Placental Weight in Pregnant Women with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus: The Association with Fetal Growth.
- Risk of death following admission to a UK hospital with diabetic ketoacidosis.
- Is your meal really gluten free? Portable sensor detects trace amounts of gluten in food at restaurants.
- Gluten Free Diet Update: Portable Gluten Detector From MIT Spinout Arrives For People Who Prefer Or Avoid Non-Celiac Gluten Food.
- A funny, poignant eulogy for the bread he can no longer eat.
Legal and Legislative
- Rep. Guice meets with mom of diabetic child. See also Guice, diabetes mom meet face to face at Capitol and State legislator riles up 'army of fierce moms' with diabetes comment.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Country Music Star Eric Paslay Partners with Dexcom to Share His Story and Help Others Living with Diabetes.
- NASCAR Driver Ryan Reed: a Diabetes Diagnosis Didn't Stop My Dreams.
- Camp for children with diabetes builds lasting relationships.
- Olympic snowboarder Sean Busby inspires diabetic campers.
- New UK Prime Minister Brings Spotlight to Type 1 Diabetes.
- Camp Red Jacket empowers diabetic children.
- Simple fun with a dose of education is what Camp Kno-Koma is all about.
- Adolescent girls with type 1 diabetes have worse perception of condition than boys.
- Dunwoody girl's eye exam was a lifesaver.
- Sherrington: What family of Cowboys assistant Derek Dooley, like mine, has taken away from fight against juvenile diabetes.
- RaeLynn Becomes A Diabetes Patient Ambassador.
- No one knows why more adults are getting this kids' disease.
- Diabetes puts high demands on parents of little sufferers.
- 'You can still do what you want to': Theresa May on how diabetes has changed her life. See also Theresa May set to become the first world leader with Type 1 diabetes.
- Poster campaign aims to prevent life-threatening condition in children with diabetes.
- Insulet Launches New Educational iPad App: Tobyâ€™s T1D Tale.
- Fifth Anniversary Advocating for a Type 1 Diabetes Cure.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Wednesday July 13, 2016 20:08:25
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.