Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life® Anaheim 2017
May 5-7, 2017
Friends for Life® Orlando 2017
July 4-9, 2017
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Of Continuing Interest
- Riding on Insulin offers wonderful one-day ski and snowboard camps for kids ages 7-17 living with type 1 diabetes and their siblings.
New This Week
- Prevent T1D is a place for families who are working to prevent Type 1 Diabetes. Many of us are parents who already have a child with T1D, and are looking for ways to delay or stop a second childâ€™s diagnosis.
- Last week's poll asked readers about how much time they spend each day on diabetes care. This week's poll asks our readers about who administers insulin to their child in child care setting.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Understanding Insulin Pumps, Continuous Glucose Monitors and the Artificial Pancreas, 3rd Edition by H. Peter Chase, MD, and Laurel Messer, RN, MPH, CDE.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My 3 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 last year. We became involved with the JDRF walk/fundraiser. After the walk, when we had to check her blood sugar and give her insulin before lunch she looked very confused and proceeded to explain to us that it was no longer necessary to do these things because we had just "walked to cure diabetes."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you are watching a football game and report that your team is behind by 4 units and nobody thinks a thing of it. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
After an up and down night of blood sugars, my adult daughter could not communicate with me, as if her brain were malfunctioning. She returned to normal after several hours and hospital tests. Is this common in long term diabetics with erratic blood sugars?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Your Clinic Experience: What Would You Like to Improve?
Support and Advocacy
- Applications for JDRF 2017 Childrenâ€™s Congress are now online. This is a great way to get involved with national advocacy efforts. Apply by December 1, 2016.
Fundraising and Awareness
- Join Logan's Elbow Bump Challenge to raise money to support our Friends for Life Orlando 2017 conference. (See also the instructions.) One suggestion is to hold a Hat Day at School on November 14th. Learn more -- including the origin of the elbow bump -- at the Elbow Bump Challenge blog and The Elbow Bump Challenge.
- The Blue Streak Challenge brings attention to Diabetes Awareness Month. See also the Blue Streak Facebook page.
- Join the Big Blue Test and help raise funds for two wonderful non-profits.
Diabetes Care Products and Apps
- Toby's T1D Tale, a mobile app by Insulet for Apple products, is an educational resource geared towards kids with and without type 1 diabetes to help them learn more about diabetes.
- Bigfoot Biomedical: Reimagining Diabetes Care with a Novel AP System.
Diabetes Videos and Podcasts
- Glucose monitor and app lets diabetics share diet data.
Diabetes in Social Media
- The Fall 2016 Diabetes D-Data ExChange - Story of Biblical Proportions.
- How to Report on Type 1 Diabetes without Losing Friends and Alienating People.
- How to Be Bad at Diabetes: A Confession.
- In Their Own Words: Why They Volunteer.
- Gut Bacteria Changes in Type 1 Diabetes Causes Vitamin B1 Deficiency.
- Diabetes Technology Investor Updates: Fall 2016.
- In the time it takes you to read this article, more than $2 million will be spent on diabetes. So why arenâ€™t we talking about it?
- Boyfriend of Longtime Type 1 Becomes Afrezza Champion.
- Novo Nordisk Kills Off Oral Insulin Project.
- A discussion with Eli Lilly about insulin prices.
- Accuracy and Longevity of an Implantable Continuous Glucose Sensor in the PRECISE Study: A 180-Day, Prospective, Multicenter, Pivotal Trial.
- Efficacy of an Overnight Predictive Low-Glucose Suspend System in Relation to Hypoglycemia Risk Factors in Youth and Adults With Type 1 Diabetes.
- A Review of Safety and Design Requirements of the Artificial Pancreas. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Early Detection of Infusion Set Failure During Insulin Pump Therapy in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Long-Term Improvement in Glucose Control and Counterregulation by Islet Transplantation for Type 1 Diabetes.
- Increased Proliferation of the Pancreatic Duct Gland Compartment in Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in PDF format.
- The Association of Arsenic Exposure and Metabolism With Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes in Youth: The SEARCH Case-Control Study.
- Peptide serum markers in islet autoantibody-positive children. See also Proteins as an early warning system for type 1 diabetes?
- No Contribution of GAD-65 and IA-2 Autoantibodies around Time of Diagnosis to the Increasing Incidence of Juvenile Type 1 Diabetes: A 9-Year Nationwide Danish Study.
- Vitamin D-binding protein and 25-hydroxyvitamin D during pregnancy in mothers whose children later developed type 1 diabetes.
- Low vitamin D level in pediatric patients with new onset type 1 diabetes is common, especially if in ketoacidosis.
- Incidence, prevalence, costs and quality of care of type 1 diabetes in Italy, age 0-29 years: The population-based CINECA-SID ARNO Observatory, 2002-2012.
- Evaluation of the Effect of Carbohydrate Intake on Postprandial Glucose in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes Treated With Insulin Pumps.
- Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM) Adherence in Youth With Type 1 Diabetes: Associations With Biomedical and Psychosocial Variables.
- Home-based vs inpatient education for children newly diagnosed with type 1 diabetes.
- The effects of type 1 diabetes mellitus on cardiac functions in children: evaluation by conventional and tissue Doppler echocardiography.
- Higher glucose level and systemic oxidative stress decrease the mean velocity index of the retinal artery during flickering light stimulation in type 1 diabetes.
- Preconception Care Education for Women With Diabetes: A Systematic Review of Conventional and Digital Health Interventions. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Long-Term Prediction of Severe Hypoglycemia in Type 1 Diabetes: Is It Really Possible?
- Avoidant Coping and Diabetes-Related Distress: Pathways to Adolescents' Type 1 Diabetes Outcomes.
- Pharmacokinetic and prandial pharmacodynamic properties of insulin degludec/insulin aspart in children, adolescents, and adults with type 1 diabetes.
- Glargine co-administration with intravenous insulin in pediatric diabetic ketoacidosis is safe and facilitates transition to a subcutaneous regimen.
- A 10-yr follow-up study for the detection of peripheral neuropathy in young patients with type 1 diabetes.
- Vitamin D status in youth with type 1 and type 2 diabetes enrolled in the Pediatric Diabetes Consortium (PDC) is not worse than in youth without diabetes.
- Value of IgA tTG in Predicting Mucosal Recovery in Children with Celiac Disease on a Gluten Free Diet. See also Twenty percent of children with celiac disease do not heal on a gluten-free diet.
- Seronegative Intestinal Villous Atrophy: A Diagnostic Challenge. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- No Change in the Mucosal Gut Microbiome is Associated With Celiac Disease-Specific Microbiome Alteration in Adult Patients.
Legal and Legislative
- Bernie Sanders calls for federal investigation of insulin makers for price collusion. Be sure to read Senator Sanders' letter. See also How Has the High Price of Insulin and Other Diabetes Medications Impacted You? (on the official Bernie Sanders web site), Diabetes Patients Struggle as Insulin Costs Soar, and Sanders, Cummings Ask Justice Department to Investigate Insulin Prices.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Why I Care: Kimball uses racing as platform to inspire diabetics.
- RaeLynn talks diabetes Saturday at the MAC.
- What I learned about Type 1 diabetes.
- Kid Captain: Love of animals, love of Hawkeyes.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Wednesday November 09, 2016 20:11:37
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.