Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life® Anaheim 2017
May 5-7, 2017
Friends for Life® Orlando 2017
July 4-9, 2017
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Of Continuing Interest
- Prevent T1D is a place for families who are working to prevent Type 1 Diabetes. Many of us are parents who already have a child with T1D, and are looking for ways to delay or stop a second childâ€™s diagnosis.
- Riding on Insulin offers wonderful one-day ski and snowboard camps for kids ages 7-17 living with type 1 diabetes and their siblings.
- Before It's Too Late is a powerful reminder of the importance of knowing the signs of type 1 diabetes and educating others.
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked readers about who administers insulin to their child in child care setting. This week's poll asks our readers when they think type 1 diabetes will be cured.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Breakthrough: Elizabeth Hughes, the Discovery of Insulin, and the Making of a Medical Miracle by Thea Cooper and Arthur Ainsberg.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
It is sad how much our little ones are picking up on the lingo associated with diabetes. My little granddaughter was calling to my son and he didn't respond right away, so she yelled out, "You get over here, right this insulin!"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when doing math homework, in response to the question "Name three things that you use in your home to measure with and draw a picture of it," your 6-year-old son writes "syringe" and painstakingly draws a picture of it. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Should my son, diagnosed two years ago, be getting any routine laboratory work?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Parenting Conflicts (3-year-old refusing to eat)
Support and Advocacy
- Applications for JDRF 2017 Childrenâ€™s Congress are now online. This is a great way to get involved with national advocacy efforts. Apply by December 1, 2016.
Fundraising and Awareness
- Support Friends for Life Orlando by shopping for your holiday gifts at Schwans.
Products, Services and Books
- Self-Monitoring Blood Glucose Test Systems for Over-the-Counter Use: Guidance for Industry and Food and Drug Administration Staff. See also FDA Publishes Final Recommendations on Blood Glucose Meter Accuracy.
Diabetes in Social Media
- MannKind Markets Afrezza to People with Type 1 Diabetes.
- OmniPod Updates: Next-Gen Product, Safety Concerns and an Exploding Pod?
- 4 Ways Using a CGM Has Improved My Diabetes.
- Making a Lasting Impression â€” A T1D Nurse's Story.
- 7 Ways to Advocate for Yourself About Your Type 1 Diabetes.
- Diabetes and Perfectionism.
- Diabetes and The Glucagon Connection.
- Implantable Eversense CGM Sensor Safe and Accurate for 90 Days.
- Sernova Making Progress on Cell Pouch Diabetes Cure.
- Imbalance of bacteriome profiles within the Finnish Diabetes Prediction and Prevention study: Parallel use of 16S profiling and virome sequencing in stool samples from children with islet autoimmunity and matched controls.
- Circulating microRNA levels predict residual beta cell function and glycaemic control in children with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- A comprehensive microbiological safety approach for agarose encapsulated porcine islets intended for clinical trials.
- Liraglutide as adjunct to insulin treatment in type 1 diabetes does not interfere with glycaemic recovery or gastric emptying rate during hypoglycaemia: a randomised, placebo-controlled, double-blind, parallel-group study.
- Reduced prevalence of impaired awareness of hypoglycemia in a population-based clinic sample of youth with type 1 diabetes.
- Clinical Outcomes After 1 Year of Augmented Insulin Pump Therapy in Patients with Diabetes in a Specialized Diabetes Center in MedellĂn, Colombia.
- Psychosocial Care for People With Diabetes: A Position Statement of the American Diabetes Association.
- Disordered Eating Behaviors in Emerging Adults With Type 1 Diabetes: A Common Problem for Both Men and Women.
- Isolated thoughts and feelings and unsolved concerns. Adolescents' and parents' perspectives on living with type 1 diabetes: a qualitative study using visual storytelling.
- Diabetes conflict outstrips the positive impact of self-efficacy on youth adherence and glycemic control in type 1 diabetes.
- Socio-economic factors influencing the development of end-stage renal disease in people with Type 1 diabetes - a longitudinal population study.
- Feasibility and acceptability of ambulatory glucose profile in children with Type 1 diabetes mellitus: A pilot study.
- No Difference Between Latiglutenase and Placebo in Reducing Villous Atrophy or Improving Symptoms in Patients with Symptomatic Celiac Disease.
- Celiac Disease and H. Pylori Infection in Children: Is there any Association?
Legal and Legislative
- American Diabetes Association calls on Congress to hold hearings on insulin prices. See also American Diabetes Association Board of Directors' Resolution: Insulin Affordability.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- When it's not just the flu: Kids with Type 1 diabetes often misdiagnosed due to the rapid onset of common symptoms.
- How to speak to someone living with diabetes, without being rude.
- NASCAR racer driven to win despite Type 1 Diabetes.
- Reds' All-Star powering through Type 1 diabetes.
- Fellow diabetics help boyâ€™s cycling dream.
- How to help your child manage their diabetes.
- Type 1 diabetes diagnosis alters lifeâ€™s journey.
- Addie Hilger: Weâ€™re not going to let diabetes stop us.
- A family affected by type 1 diabetes doesnâ€™t let the disease stand in their way.
- A type one diabetic shares his top to-know list for living with the disease.
- Local families face silent struggle.
- High School Football Player Raising Type 1 Diabetes Awareness Both On and Off the Field.
- Incredible toddler saved daddy's life by force-feeding him Muller Crunch Corner yoghurts.
- Dexcom One Step Ahead Foundation: A Dexcom Employees Foundation Awards First Grants to Diabetes Advocacy Organizations.
- Livongo Glucose Meter Delivers First Over-the-Air Capabilities to Industry.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
Last Updated: Wednesday November 23, 2016 17:41:40
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2017. Comments and Feedback.