Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life® Anaheim 2017
May 5-7, 2017
Friends for Life® Orlando 2017
July 4-9, 2017
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
DSF Family and Individual Scholarships
New This Week
- It's once again time to Spare a Rose, Save a Child. Your donations bring life-saving insulin and diabetes care products to over 18,000 children with type 1 diabetes in 46 under-resourced countries through the IDF's Life for a Child program. Your donation is, quite literally, life. Please give generously.
- The Diabetes Scholars Foundation is now accepting applications for it's 2017 college scholarship program. DSF college scholarships are open to high school seniors with type 1 diabetes and who are US citizens or permanent residents. The deadline to apply is midnight April 15, 2017. DSF offers many scholarships. There is one application and students will be considered for those scholarships that match them. To apply, please visit http://diabetesscholars.org/college-scholarship/.
- Last week's poll asked readers when they usually bolus for a meal. This week's poll asks our readers how diabetes has impacted their sleep.
- The Featured Book of the Week is My Life as a Pancreas: Reflections on Raising a Child with Diabetes by Priscilla Call Essert.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
The other day, my 11 year old was watching a basketball game. He said, "The other teams needs 3 more units to win." Too funny!
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you no longer say it's time for dinner -- instead you yell to everyone that it's time to check blood sugars. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Recently diagnosed, my teen son has experienced elevated blood sugars at the start of cross country races. Should he do a corrective dose?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Can school REQUIRE student to use BG logs?
- Best Practices for Injecting Insulin and Inserting Infusions.
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- A student in the Toronto School District is running a survey about Type 1 Diabetes and Antibiotics.
- Diabetes Usability Study: Patients and Caregivers needed.
Diabetes in Social Media
- Looking to make a difference? Hereâ€™s how.
- Guest Post: DiabetesSisters Voices.
- Beating Diabetes - attracting talent, capital and attention to the space.
- Ketoacidosis Claimed Our Son During His First Year of College.
- Psychosocial effects in parents and children 12 years after newborn genetic screening for type 1 diabetes.
- Increase in Pancreatic Proinsulin and Preservation of Beta Cell Mass in Autoantibody Positive Donors prior to Type 1 Diabetes Onset.
- Glucose Outcomes with the In-Home Use of a Hybrid Closed-Loop Insulin Delivery System in Adolescents and Adults with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Residual beta-cell function in diabetes children followed and diagnosed in the TEDDY study compared to community controls.
- Interspecies organogenesis generates autologous functional islets. See also Rat-grown mouse pancreases help reverse diabetes in mice.
- Continuous Glucose Monitoring vs Conventional Therapy for Glycemic Control in Adults With Type 1 Diabetes Treated With Multiple Daily Insulin Injections. The GOLD Randomized Clinical Trial.
- Closed-loop for type 1 diabetes - an introduction and appraisal for the generalist. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- High HbA1c at onset cannot be used as a predictor for future metabolic control for the individual child with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- The additional dose of insulin for high-protein mixed meal provides better glycemic control in children with type 1 diabetes on insulin pumps: randomized cross-over study.
- Potential Hypoxic Renal Injury in Patients With Diabetes on SGLT2 Inhibitors: Caution Regarding Concomitant Use of NSAIDs and Iodinated Contrast Media.
- Predictors of Dyslipidemia Over Time in Youth With Type 1 Diabetes: For the SEARCH for Diabetes in Youth Study.
- Impact of quality of life (QoL) on glycemic control (HbA1c) among adolescents and emerging adults with long-duration type 1 diabetes: A prospective cohort-study.
- Pregnancy and neonatal outcomes in women with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Are Changes in Heart Rate Variability During Hypoglycemia Confounded by the Presence of Cardiovascular Autonomic Neuropathy in Patients with Diabetes?
- Blood pressure regulation determined by ambulatory blood pressure profiles in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus: Impact on diabetic complications.
- Prevalence of referable, sight-threatening retinopathy in type 1 diabetes and its relationship to diabetes duration and systemic risk factors.
- Prevalence of Celiac Disease in the U.S. Appears to Have Plateaued.
- The Celiac Patient Antibody Response to Conventional and Gluten-Removed Beer.
- Prevalence of Self-Reported Gluten Sensitivity and Adherence to a Gluten-Free Diet in Argentinian Adult Population. Free full text available in HTML and PDF via link.
Legal, Legislative, and Policy
- Patients vs. Pharma: Hagens Berman files complaint against 'Big Three' insulin producers. You can read the 169-page suit. See also Is Pharma Breaking the Law?
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Final 2017 F150 Raptor Raises $207k for Juvenile Diabetes Research.
- All-diabetic cycling team taking part in Dubai Tour carry message of hope.
- Baylor freshman forward Lauren Coxâ€™s battles go beyond the court.
- JDRF Expresses Profound Loss at the Passing of Actress Mary Tyler Moore, Longtime Champion of the Community Living with Type 1 Diabetes.
- JDRF Launches Early-Stage Investment Fund to Catalyze Development of Commercial Type 1 Diabetes Therapies.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
Last Updated: Wednesday February 01, 2017 20:08:12
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2017. Comments and Feedback.